Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Top Chef

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Top Chef

Does anyone watch that on a regular basis?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    No, but i might if you're on it!

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Me either, I am an Iron Chef watcher..................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We're an Iron Chef house too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Watched the premier last night....booyah!

I think bloody thumb guy should have been DQ'd on the apple paring challenge!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    I think it is one of the better reality shows, caught most of the show last night, I see there are going to be a few annoying people, especially Fabio. Seems like every season there is one or two, Marcel (season 2) and Hung (season 3), good chefs but cocky attitudes. Guess it makes for a good show.

I thought last nights show was good, I thought going ethnic and into the different neighborhoods was great. Too bad they did not go deeper into explaining the foods for those who are not familiar with the different cultures. But then again they do only have an hour. I am sure there will be more cultural meals coming, there are so many in NY. Would not be surprised if they do a street vendor episode too. Dirty water dogs, falafel, shish Kabob, gyro, pretzels, knishes and so forth.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Have Watched every season and I am a fan of the show I think it is very well done and stays focused on the food and not on the drama as much.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    My wife got me watching it...

And I agree; the guy who sliced his thumb and bled all over the apples should have been DQed. Not for slicing his finger, but because he didn't take steps afterwards to avoid bleeding on the apples and didn't dump the ones he'd bled on. Sure, they weren't for consumption -- but they might have been. It's not "Top Knife Skills", it's "Top Chef." Everything food that they do should be expected to be edible...

(She got me watching Iron Chef too; the creativity they come up with on the "secret ingredients" is impressive!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    And I agree; the guy who sliced his thumb and bled all over the apples should have been DQed. Not for slicing his finger, but because he didn't take steps afterwards to avoid bleeding on the apples and didn't dump the ones he'd bled on. Sure, they weren't for consumption -- but they might have been. It's not "Top Knife Skills", it's "Top Chef." Everything food that they do should be expected to be edible...
    Ewwww! Maybe he thought he was on "Fear Factor"!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post

That was pretty gross but I bet they figured it was both a speed and technical challenge and he peeled the apples and made it in time, injury and all. If he would have stopped to clean up or bandage up he would have lost.

Besides if he didn't make it in time he would have had to move on to the next round and continue to work with those same apples and then possibly have to cook them. Even grosser.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I do watch and like Iron Chef, but I love Top Chef and never miss an episode. I think bloody thumb guy should have been DQ'd as well. I noticed he was wearing a glove for the next round.

I was a little bit disgusted that a lot of the chefs didn't really know what the seasonings, etc., were commonly used in each type of ethnic food. If you don't learn it in culinary training, you should learn it just by experiencing different types of food and most of them have been chefs for a while.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I dont have TV reception, so I've never seen it, but on my flight back from California I sat next to a very young personal chef who was trying out for I think that show (I can't remember if he said Iron Chef or Top Chef or what). He was an interesting guy who only cooks organic foods, although I wanted to sleep because it was a red eye flight and he and the girl next to him talked the whole flight Anyway, I hope he does make it on there!
    Arm the sheep!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    I dont have TV reception, so I've never seen it, but on my flight back from California I sat next to a very young personal chef who was trying out for I think that show (I can't remember if he said Iron Chef or Top Chef or what). He was an interesting guy who only cooks organic foods, although I wanted to sleep because it was a red eye flight and he and the girl next to him talked the whole flight Anyway, I hope he does make it on there!
    If you are interested you can catch some of the shows online, I have't tried any of the sites for Top Chef, but have used some for other shows.

http://www.watch-topchef.com/

http://www.hulu.com/top-chef?fromsea...FQUWGgod9iILYA

http://www.veoh.com/tv-shows/Bravo-Top-Chef

http://www.tvshowtracker.com/latest/title/Top+Chef

http://www.tv.com/Top-Chef/show/55264/summary.html

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I was a little bit disgusted that a lot of the chefs didn't really know what the seasonings, etc., were commonly used in each type of ethnic food. If you don't learn it in culinary training, you should learn it just by experiencing different types of food and most of them have been chefs for a while.
    That surprised me as well, I can understand not using particular spices in your every day live, as the woman from Colorada (I believe) mentioned, but if you cook you should be familiar and if that is not enough, you entered into a competion, should have did your Homework!

The guy from Hawaii had it right, he had Lil' India (NYC, Lexingtion and the upper 20's) and never cooked Indian before, he tasted some of the food and worked from there. Both of the chef were surprised at all the spices they sold, when I went to Baruch College a few blocks away from there, I used to stop by there to get spices, awesome selection and reasonably priced.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post

I'm on dial up I can get online during my lunch at work...but wouldnt you know..now they want me to use this other computer that doesn't have flash player/video access when I'm at lunch. Sometimes I sneak a peek at my computer, but I dont want to do it too often and get in trouble. But, I'll try to save those links in case I get to use a faster connection anytime soon Thanks 2 Blue!
    Arm the sheep!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thanks for posting those links, I am without TV service myself. However, Kittylynn and I used to watch Top Chef, Iron Chef, and Hells Kitchen. Well, mostly Kittylynn. She loves those type of shows.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I like Iron Chef - old school. Not so crazy about the American version.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I watch it every now and then, it's not a bad show...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That surprised me as well, I can understand not using particular spices in your every day live, as the woman from Colorada (I believe) mentioned, but if you cook you should be familiar and if that is not enough, you entered into a competion, should have did your Homework!

The guy from Hawaii had it right, he had Lil' India (NYC, Lexingtion and the upper 20's) and never cooked Indian before, he tasted some of the food and worked from there. Both of the chef were surprised at all the spices they sold, when I went to Baruch College a few blocks away from there, I used to stop by there to get spices, awesome selection and reasonably priced.
    Exactly. I even thought, well maybe I'm being kind of harsh because for many years I worked for a spice company so I've had a tremendous amount of exposure and experience in that area, plus I will eat anything and have tried many different types of cuisine. Then I thought, nope I'm not being too harsh, because as you said they entered into a competition and should have done their homework to become a bit more well rounded.

The guy from Hawaii did an excellent job.

Thread Information