Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Kurt Warner's agent, last month: "Kurt will either resign with the Arizona Cardinals or retire." This month: "Oooh, look -- an offer from the 49ers"

(03-01) 19:23 PST -- Improbably, free-agent quarterback Kurt Warner is expected to visit the 49ers today.
    The man who nearly led Arizona to victory over Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl last month is at an impasse with the Cardinals and the 49ers are one of "a number of teams" to express interest in the strong-armed quarterback, who will be 38 when the 2009 season begins.
    Warner, who has said he wanted to return to the Cardinals or else retire, is seeking a two-year contract worth $29 million. The Cardinals offered $20 million over the same length of time and seem unwilling to move.
    Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he is not trying to gain leverage with the Cardinals by having his client visit the division-rival 49ers.
    "People assume things are being done to create leverage and that's not true," Bartelstein said. "Anyone who knows Kurt Warner knows that's not the moral plane he operates under. He would never do something to create leverage."
    However, Bartelstein said "some feelings have been hurt," with Warner in his relationship with the Cardinals.
    "All of a sudden, people pursue you and it's nice to be wanted," the agent said. "You hear some things that are intriguing. Some things have developed in the last few days that are intriguing. He really didn't want to go through free agency. We thought something would be done by now (in Arizona). It's disappointing."
    Warner, a three-time NFL most valuable player, had one of his best seasons in 2008 as he passed for 4,583 yards and 30 touchdowns. Arizona's offense is built for Warner, and he has two superior wide receivers to throw to in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.
    The 49ers appear to be a poor fit for Warner. Coach Mike Singletary is trying to develop a power-running team behind Frank Gore, with far less of an emphasis on the pass than Warner enjoys in Arizona.
    On the other side of the ball, the 49ers might have an interest in bringing back defensive end Marques Douglas, who was with them from 2005-07 before going to Baltimore as a free agent in 2008.
    For his part, Douglas said he would welcome a return to San Francisco.
    "That would be one of my top preferences, to come back out there," Douglas told The Chronicle on Sunday. "I never severed ties with anybody. I understand it's business. You might not be the flavor of the month, but you can come back."
    In '07, Douglas was San Francisco's most productive defensive lineman, recording 100 tackles, three sacks and four passes defensed under position coach Jim Tomsula and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky. "They put you in situations to do some good things," Douglas said. "I would love to come back."
    The 49ers today are expected to meet with free-agent defensive end Demetric Evans of the Washington Redskins.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Warner reminds me of Brett Favre.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Warner reminds me of Brett Favre.
    Except not as talented!
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    He's got as many Super Bowl victories and more Super bowl appearences. He also close in number of League MVP awards in a lot shorter career because he wasn't given an opportunity until a late age.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    His agent made another offer to the Cardinals, I am sure they will take it, hopefully.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Thread Information