Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

The Top Seven UFC Warriors of All Time

The Top Seven UFC Warriors of All Time

Tuesday night Spike TV's brand new original series Deadliest Warrior premieres at 10pm, so I figured it's a better time than ever to take a few minutes and hash out who the all-time greatest UFC warriors are.

7. BJ Penn

One of only a few fighters to hold titles at two different weight classes, "The Prodigy" has an unnatural ability to inflict pain on the lightweight insubordinates. He has wins over Matt Serra, Matt Hughes, Jens Pulver, and Sean Sherk, all of whom have held titles of their own.
    His recent loss to St-Pierre has caused him to slide a little on the all-time list, but none of that changes what Penn has done in the lightweight class and, for now, he securely holds his spot at the back of my list.

6. Royce Gracie

Source: Markus Boesch/Getty Images
    Without Royce Gracie, it's fair to say that mixed martial arts as we know it today would not exist. The sheer dominance of which Gracie dispatched opponent after opponent in the early days the UFC caught the attention of eager fans across the globe.
    Gracie beat insurmountable odds with his unmatched jiu-jitsu skills and submitted much larger opponents en route to tournament victories at UFC 1, 2, and 4. Gracie was responsible for some of the most technical battles in the early years of the UFC and provided legitimacy in the midst of a blood sport. Without the groundwork laid by Gracie, the UFC may never found the foothold it was looking for and could very well have fallen to the wayside.
    There is a little bit a Gracie's soul in every card the UFC holds and for that he always be remembered as an all-time great.

5. Matt Hughes

In one of the most competitive weight classes ever, Matt Hughes is the most decorated champion in UFC history. With a staggering 42 overall wins and a 9-2 record in title fights, Matt Hughes ruled the welterweight class for so long, the belt was practically named after him. Early in his career Hughes was charged with the task outgrowing the shadow cast by his predecessor and mentor Pat Miletich. It was an undertaking that would have crumbled most challengers, but Hughes took it on with all cylinders and never looked back. He will never again be thought of as "Little Pat."
    Over his journey he recorded wins over Carlos Newton, Frank Trigg, Georges St-Pierre, and Hayato Sakurai, but perhaps the most symbolic win was his TKO victory over the legendary Royce Gracie. With it, he officially ushered out the old and welcomed the new, and though he could be controversial outside the cage, there is no denying that he was a force to be reckoned with inside it, which is why he deserves to be considered on the all-time list.

4. Chuck Liddell

Knocking out the opposition with a ferocious consistency that no one has been able to match, Liddell struck fear across the light heavyweight division since his debut at UFC 17. It wasn't long before his became the most feared right hand in the UFC and he won his first title in 2005 from the one and only Randy Couture.
    Liddell's punching power has almost reached mythical proportions, but Spike TV recently stepped up to show just how dangerous Liddell really is. In this clip from Deadliest Warrior, Liddell takes on science and finds out how truly deadly he can be.

3. Randy Couture

Nearing 46 years old, Randy Couture, one of the last crusaders, transcends the old and the new. He has been the face of the UFC since its infancy and remains one of the most fearsome and loveable stars an astonishing 12 years after his debut. Couture's career has been nothing but amazing with a combined nine successful title fights across two weight classes.
    After losing his heavyweight belt in 2002 to Josh Barnet, Couture had a bumpy ride and shocked the MMA community with his retirement announcement immediately following a second loss to Chuck Liddell. A year later, Couture waged war against time and returned to the Octagon, where he would defy logic and natural order in a geriatric victory over Tim Silvia at UFC 68 to regain his belt for the last time.
    Couture would again step back form the fight game, only to triumphantly return in a fight to defend the belt he never lost against Brock Lesnar. With a sideways grin, Couture walked to the Octagon one more time - Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle blazing" - and reminded everyone why he's among the most beloved and honored champions in the sport.

2. George St-Pierre

The pure athlete. The current champion, ruling his division from the icy streets of Montreal, has proven himself among the most dangerous men on the planet with victories over the likes of Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg, and, BJ Penn. St-Pierre is in a class by himself and operates on a level that most cannot understand. His freakish conditioning and ability to control fights with a relentless pace has kept him on top of the division since 2007.
    In his most recent victory over BJ Penn, St-Pierre shut down his opponent with a technical perfection that few, if any, can match. St-Pierre's methodical destruction of Penn put to rest any doubts that St-Pierre deserves his place at the top of the all-time list.

1. Anderson Silva

The untouchable. Silva brings new meaning to the word dangerous. The epitome of a mixed martial artist, no one in the history of MMA has mastered the art and science of destruction with the same vicious beauty as Anderson Silva. Called a "ballet of violence" by UFC commentator Joe Rogan, Silva's graceful dominance is awe-inspiring.
    After defeating Rich Franklin to earn the middleweight belt, Silva ran through everything the UFC had to offer, barely breaking a sweat. With no challenge seeming too big, he was set to face former Pride Champion Dan Henderson in what was to be a clash of the Titans. It turned out to look more like a massacre. Silva picked apart the stronger Henderson with superior striking in the first round. He survived, barely, only to be submitted at 4:52 of the second round and with it, Silva declared in a clear voice that he was the evolution of fighting sports.
    Silva has gone on to defend two more times and emerged from both bouts virtually untouched. Heading into his next defense against Thales Leites at UFC 97 on April 18th, he seems unstoppable.
    The only big question mark left on Silva's career is what next? He's been tested on all stages and proven himself superior in every way and thus earning his place at the very top of the all-time greatest UFC warriors.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Cool! Although I can't stand St.Pierre out of the cage. He annoys the shit out of me, and I don't know that I would put him at #2, but he should definitely be on the list somewhere.

As for that Deadliest Warrior show, it looks badass! There was something like it a few years back...Fight Science I think it was called?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think I must say I don't disagree a whole lot with the list or order there of. Liddell is my favorite, but I think his placement is correct, as he's mostly one-dimensional. I was kinda surprised Silva was #1, but honestly I can't think of who would be more deserving.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

mg32 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I dont know that I would place George St-Pierre as number 2 but other than that it looks good.
    Where were you?

"Just a man with a fork in a world full of soup." PZO

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    You know..I dislike boxing as a sport...find it boring...but this stuff..love it. Still learning the ins and outs and who is who...but plan on watching it whenever it comes on. I think I was a man in my past life...lol.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Why did you place Gracie so high on the list? He should be closer to number 1! He is one of, if not the, best fighters of all time. All MOHO of course.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Why did you place Gracie so high on the list? He should be closer to number 1! He is one of, if not the, best fighters of all time. All MOHO of course.

I agree!

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'll have to argue for Forrest Griffin only because I know him personally. We were actually rookie cops together 10 years ago.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkhunter View Post
    I'll have to argue for Forrest Griffin only because I know him personally. We were actually rookie cops together 10 years ago.
    i love that guy because he was a cop...plus he has HEART.

i grappled with royler gracie at a school i used to train at in DE. i had 80 pounds on the guy and he twisted me up like a pretzel with no effort at all.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Randy Couture. All these younger guys will be long gone before they reach his age, but he keeps coming back and kicking ass. He has more heart than any of the others, and I've always been a fan of Chucks. He takes you back to that old saying "don't fuck with older guys", it's just not healthy. We'll see where these other badasses are when they reach his age. I've always been a big fan of the Gracies, and follow their style. These younger guys have definitely taken it to another level, but watch out out for us old guys. It still only takes one good hit to put somebody down.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm not a fan of Penn and St. Pierre based on their attitudes outside of the cage. I have a friend who used to live in Hawaii and he said Penn walks around that island like he owns it and treats everyone like shit. Not cool in my book. Pierre simply annoys me and says some dumb stuff that makes me wonder about the guy. Both great fighters, though, so I'm not taking that away from them.

I've been a fan of MMA for a long time and had no clue Forest Griffin was at one time a cop! I would love to see a picture of him in uniform or something. That just made my respect for him go way up...and it was already extremely high!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Randy Couture is definately one of my favourites, just because even at age 46, he aptly demonstrates his raw ability.

I always respected Chuck Liddell's amazing striking ability, but a few years ago he was in my town, and the word was that he was hanging out with our local Hell's Angels chapter. I also found this photo of him with some HA's out in Ontario.

Makes you wonder.

"The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Couture is almost 46??? Wow. Just wow.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    a new fighter on the scene...Lyota Machida.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have trouble applying the term warrior to these sport fighters, but it is fun to watch.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Oh, I'd love to see them endure Hell Week at Coronado . . . then maybe, I'd give them the W in the word.

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Oh, I'd love to see them endure Hell Week at Coronado . . . then maybe, I'd give them the W in the word.

I don't know about any of the others, but Forrest Griffin was an officer for three years before trying to make a go on the fight scene. He then got back in the profession as a sheriff's deputy until his big break came along for the TV show.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkhunter View Post
    I don't know about any of the others, but Forrest Griffin was an officer for three years before trying to make a go on the fight scene. He then got back in the profession as a sheriff's deputy until his big break came along for the TV show.

Him, I'll call warrior.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information