Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should he leave high school early for the chance to play professional baseball in 2010?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 25.00%
  • No

9 75.00%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Baseball's 'Chosen One' quits High School at 16

When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'
    But not quite this soon.
    On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.
    It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters:
    "There are going to be critics. I can't worry about what people think," Ron Harper said. "People are going to see what they want to see and say what they want to say. I think this prepares him for life, playing the game of baseball.
    "People question your parenting and what you're doing. Honestly, we don't think it's that big a deal. He's not leaving school to go work in a fast-food restaurant. Bryce is a good kid. He's smart, and he's going to get his education."
    From my viewpoint, I'm not going to act like a truant officer on Harper's decision when viewed in a vacuum. It's , lives to play baseball and has been groomed to play professional baseball ever since he and his family realized that he was much better than everyone else. It's obvious he has that physical attributes to succeed and he'd be drafted in two years anyway, so why delay the inevitable? Is an 18-year-old really that much better equipped to handle the pressures of grand expectations than a 16-year-old? As much as people will want to say that Harper should stay in school like a normal kid, the truth is that whatever normal life he had disappeared the minute he showed up on the cover of a magazine at homes across the country.
    Plus, in an age when tennis and golf prodigies leave their families for top-flight academies before the age of 10 and future basketball studs are identified in the sixth grade, what's the problem with Harper setting out on a very defined career path? Being the top pick in the draft could net him $20 million or more, so making a play while the chips are on his side is just simply a smart move especially in the volatile world of baseball talent.
    The problem I do have with it, though, is that there are no doubt thousands of delusional parents who will see this news and think that maybe it's a viable path for their nowhere-near-as-talented sons and daughters. While the Harpers can't make their decision based on what other lemmings might do, I hope the door closes behind them.
    What do you think?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If I was in his shoes I would get my free college ride first. Unless he is getting a ton of sure money from a pro club. I doubt anyone of them would give that kinda of contract to a sixteen year old kid that doesn't even use a wooden bat yet.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    If I was in his shoes I would get my free college ride first. Unless he is getting a ton of sure money from a pro club. I doubt anyone of them would give that kinda of contract to a sixteen year old kid that doesn't even use a wooden bat yet.

And that's the risk he takes. He has AMAZING baseball talent. But he can't play pro until he's 18. So he will have to quit, get his GED, and then play community college ball until he is drafted. Anything could happen to him until that time though, and he'll never have an education to fall back on. But if he makes it, he'll be rich. That's one gamble I'd be skeptical of taking.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    And that's the risk he takes. He has AMAZING baseball talent. But he can't play pro until he's 18. So he will have to quit, get his GED, and then play community college ball until he is drafted. Anything could happen to him until that time though, and he'll never have an education to fall back on. But if he makes it, he'll be rich. That's one gamble I'd be skeptical of taking.

It is a big jump from HS to college level athletics. The jump from the college games to the pro games is bigger than the Grand Canyon.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    This is the first I have never heard of him, I cannot view the video (work comp) but I sure will when I get home today. I agree with the age thing, but in saying that it is only two years and he will not be drafted until that time anyways.

I agree with Term in with many other sports kids are chosen at a very young age and set away from their family to pursue their or parents dream of their child making it big in which ever sport they excell in. Just look at tennis and golf very young aged kids playing in professional level.

If they (family) know for certain that he could be a sure thing then why wait and injury could end it all tomorrow. But there are many many stories of young can't misses that we have never heard from, so I guess we will wait and see in a few years.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Ok I wached the video and first off he isn't built like a 16 year old kid and the first portion I am fairly certain he was using wooden bat. He swings a fast heavy bat with alot of barrel speed. I still think they are making the right decision........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If anything happens to him that puts him out of the game for good he has nothing to fall back on. I guess he can always go to commentator school. Be cool. Stay in school.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    There is not many things more important today than education. I think his father is only thinking of the money. Who is to say if he will even be picked up in 2 years. Anything can happen in that amount of time. If he doesn't get picked up what happens then? He's out in the world with no education to fall back on. Yes, he will be only 18 but even so he will have lost out on so many things his peers will have had. His dad should let him finish growing up and being a kid before shoving him out there in the world.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Take the shot.

The HS bit bothers me not at all. Say this doesn't pan out, what's he out? He'd still be 18 with lots of options, traditional 4 year college being one. He misses prom and first year college courses spent reteaching from HS will be new to him. Small harm.

Every fourth bathroom tile salesman has a sheepskin showing they earned a degree and a staff of former HS sports heroes working for him at the Tile Garden. There's plenty of time to get an education to get an ok job, which honestly, is what most people settle for. Life doesn't give you many shots to get your dream job, and you'll never get it if you don't try.

More important than becoming the next Babe Ruth is the attempt.

Fly high, and if you fall back to earth, try again. Saying play it safe and stay with the flock now is the best way to clip his wings, imo. Maybe he'll quit trying and end up being a tile installer, but isn't the surest path to that career telling him "don't try"?.

This isn't about sports, it's about a mindset.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Take the shot.

The HS bit bothers me not at all. Say this doesn't pan out, what's he out? He'd still be 18 with lots of options, traditional 4 year college being one. He misses prom and first year college courses spent reteaching from HS will be new to him. Small harm.

Every fourth bathroom tile salesman has a sheepskin showing they earned a degree and a staff of former HS sports heroes working for him at the Tile Garden. There's plenty of time to get an education to get an ok job, which honestly, is what most people settle for. Life doesn't give you many shots to get your dream job, and you'll never get it if you don't try.

More important than becoming the next Babe Ruth is the attempt.

Fly high, and if you fall back to earth, try again. Saying play it safe and stay with the flock now is the best way to clip his wings, imo. Maybe he'll quit trying and end up being a tile installer, but isn't the surest path to that career telling him "don't try"?.

This isn't about sports, it's about a mindset.

The problem being that he would probably obtain a scholarship to an excellent college or university if he stays in high school. If he drops out he loses that option and will probably never go back to school. Higher education is very expensive now and the probability of him returning to school is doubtful.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sports (money, prestige, god like status...) is NOT that important. Having an excellent solid foundation for the future is. I know. I didn't have one. (by my own hand)
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Sports (money, prestige, god like status...) is NOT that important. Having an excellent solid foundation for the future is. I know. I didn't have one. (by my own hand)

I gotta agree completely. I made the mistake of not continuing my education after high school. When I finally did go to college it was all on my dime and it was darned expensive!

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Thread Information