Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you believe homosexuals/bisexuals are born that way, or make a choice to lead that lifestyle?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe it is an individual choice to be gay/lesbian/bisexual

10 41.67%
  • I believe your sexuality is pre-determined based on different factors

7 29.17%
  • Other (Explain)

7 29.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    chewy is offline 1 CoastieRisk!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I would have to agree that it's a lifestyle choice, but then again, who's not going to do something that's natural to them, or that they like? I mean, I wouldn't eat peas over and over because I don't like them, and I wouldn't expect a guy who is attracted to guys to have sex with girls.

You'll eat your peas! You'll eat whatever is on your plate and you'll be thankfull to have it mister!!!
    Grumpy bastard sick of it all!
    Guns Don't Kill People, Radical Pro-Lifers Kill People

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I would have to agree that it's a lifestyle choice, but then again, who's not going to do something that's natural to them, or that they like? I mean, I wouldn't eat peas over and over because I don't like them, and I wouldn't expect a guy who is attracted to guys to have sex with girls.
    Agreed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I never made a choice/conscious decision on which gender I would be attracted to. I never was abused as a child. I didn't figure it out until I was 20 years old. But after the fact, looking back, I could see the attractions as early as first grade. But back then I had no clue what it was, or what it was about. I had no idea what sex or sexuality was back then. I think I was born this way.

I don't think my sexuality is a "lifestyle." It's just one piece of the puzzle of who/what I am. Now making it a lifestyle would be if I always went to circuit parties, and was always out trolling for cheap sex, and making sex such a huge part of my life. Policing is a million times more of a lifestyle for me than who I am attracted to.

I don't think it is a choice on who you are attracted to. Where choice comes in is how you react to it. Of course a man who is gay can choose not to have sex with men, just like a priest can choose to be celibate. But that choice does not change what that person really is.

Like Car4 said, why would someone choose to be a second class citizen, to be ostracized, to be a target? Why would I choose to make it 100% legal for my department to fire me for no other reason than they don't like my sexuality? Why would I choose to have that kind if real fear hanging over my head everyday that I go in to work? I don't choose any of that. I choose honesty, and personal integrity. The negative aspects are just things that I have to deal with because I maintain my integrity. Maybe one day, those fears will no longer be realistic.

The one choice I have made is that when I figured myself out, I chose to face reality, and not run from it, not hide, not lie about it.

I think that where environment plays into the mix is shaping how a person recognizes and/or reacts to their sexuality. Someone's religion/family could be a reason for them to try to decide not to act on their sexuality, or to try to pretend it's not real. Socialization can really play a part in a person figuring themselves out. We get bombarded with messages that say that you will be attracted to, date, and marry a person of the opposite sex. If you get told something enough, you can tend to believe it. Now some figure it out early in their early teens. Some figure it out kind of later, in their 20's like me (on the early end of that). Some don't figure it out until they are 40, married, and have kids. Then they have a gigantic amount of issues in dealing with their situations. They may be more likely to live a lie in order to maintain the family. Now that would be a choice. My choice was honesty. Luckily I didn't have the other issues related to figuring one's self out later in life.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information