Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: UFC 101

213th is offline Solipsist

UFC 101

Over all I thought it was a pretty decent event, worth the ppv money.

Three fights went to decision, all non championship bouts. All decisions were unanimous, and no disagreement from me. All seemed scored fairly.

One fight TKO, Johny Hendrick vs Amir Sadollah. Ref ended it 29 seconds in. Hendrick landed quite a few good blows, and in my opinion would have won, had the fight not been called prematurely. Referee called a stop, however Amir Sadollah was actively trying to get back up. He was making a concious effert to continue, and I think by that the fight shouldn't have been called. However, I think the result would be the same. I think we'll see a rematch of this fight.

Anderson Silvia vs Forrest Griffin. Silvia the winner by knockout at 3:23 in the first round. I was disappointed. Silvia is a great fighter, and I hoped to see him win, although I picked Griffin in this fight. I really expected much more from a fighter of Griffin's caliber. He almost seemed worn out from the start. He ate a few great punches, and I'm sure that contributed, but he didn't seem to have the spirit. Silvia definetly brought the energy to this fight, and dispite going up a weight class, he didn't seem to be adversly effected. I think we will see a number of fights from Silvia and possibly a title shot for him in this class.

Penn vs Florian. Penn by rear naked in 4th round. I chose Florian in this fight, as I was thinking Penn would be slow coming off a heavy training regime and the loss to GSP. First few rounds, kinda of quiet with a few good exchanges, had me thinking I had chosen correctly. Penn however seemed to be just controlling the pace, waiting for the right opening. Once he had the opening, it was lights out. Florian is a good fighter though and I expect we haven't seen his last title shot
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Iron Head is offline Smooth talking, silver tongued SheepDog.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Over all I thought it was a pretty decent event, worth the ppv money.

Three fights went to decision, all non championship bouts. All decisions were unanimous, and no disagreement from me. All seemed scored fairly.

One fight TKO, Johny Hendrick vs Amir Sadollah. Ref ended it 29 seconds in. Hendrick landed quite a few good blows, and in my opinion would have won, had the fight not been called prematurely. Referee called a stop, however Amir Sadollah was actively trying to get back up. He was making a concious effert to continue, and I think by that the fight shouldn't have been called. However, I think the result would be the same. I think we'll see a rematch of this fight.

Anderson Silvia vs Forrest Griffin. Silvia the winner by knockout at 3:23 in the first round. I was disappointed. Silvia is a great fighter, and I hoped to see him win, although I picked Griffin in this fight. I really expected much more from a fighter of Griffin's caliber. He almost seemed worn out from the start. He ate a few great punches, and I'm sure that contributed, but he didn't seem to have the spirit. Silvia definetly brought the energy to this fight, and dispite going up a weight class, he didn't seem to be adversly effected. I think we will see a number of fights from Silvia and possibly a title shot for him in this class.

Penn vs Florian. Penn by rear naked in 4th round. I chose Florian in this fight, as I was thinking Penn would be slow coming off a heavy training regime and the loss to GSP. First few rounds, kinda of quiet with a few good exchanges, had me thinking I had chosen correctly. Penn however seemed to be just controlling the pace, waiting for the right opening. Once he had the opening, it was lights out. Florian is a good fighter though and I expect we haven't seen his last title shot

I didn't expect anything different with Silva or Penn. It was a good thing it wasn't a championship fight Forrest would have lost his belt.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to vist violence on those who would do us harm"
    George Orwell
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    I didn't expect anything different with Silva or Penn. It was a good thing it wasn't a championship fight Forrest would have lost his belt.

He did that in his last fight to Rashad Evans.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm still shocked at how easy Silva made it look fighting Griffin. That guy is incredible.

I have never liked Penn simply because my buddy who used to live in Hawaii said that Penn walks around that island like he owns it and snuffs everyone else. However, I do respect the guys skills.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information