Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Michael Vick signs a 2 year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, worth millions

The Philadelphia Eagles have signed former Falcons quarterback Michael Vick to a two-year deal, Eagles president Joe Banner confirmed during halftime of the team’s exhibition game against the New England Patriots on Thursday evening.
    Published reports say that Vick will receive $1.6 million for the first year, with an option of $5.2 million for the second.
    Vick will return to the NFL after two seasons away, including 18 months in federal prison and five more in home confinement after he was convicted on charges related to dogfighting, and a conditional suspension by the NFL.
    The animal-rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, reacted quickly to the news.
    “PETA and millions of decent football fans around the world are disappointed that the Eagles decided to sign a guy who hung dogs from trees. He electrocuted them with jumper cables and held them under water,” PETA spokesman Dan Shannon told The Associated Press.
    The potential exists for Vick to face his former team this season. The Falcons host the Eagles on Dec. 6, the Falcons’ 12th game.
    “I am tickled to death,” former Falcons coach Dan Reeves said after hearing the news. “It looked like it wasn’t going to happen for a while there. I am glad someone took a chance on him.”
    Eagles coach Andy Reid, in a news conference Thursday night, said he expects Philadelphia fans will give Vick a chance to prove and redeem himself.
    “This is America. ... We do make mistakes,” Reid said. “He [Vick] has a chance to prove he’s doing the right things.”
    Reid cited Vick’s recent work with the Humane Socieity and speaking to youth groups about the ills of dogfighting.
    “I think our fans will understand,” Reid said. “I also think that when you look indepth at this ... the changes he’s made in his life, you’ll see the positive in what he’s trying to do.”
    Eagles starting quarterback Donovan McNabb said he was pleased Vick was joining the team and said he “pretty much lobbied to get him here. Everybody deserves a second chance.”
    McNabb said he has known Vick since Vick was in high school and has been somewhat of a mentor to him.
    The controversial quarterback has gone through a whirlwind of highs and lows since the Falcons drafted him with the first pick in 2001.
    He signed a $62 million deal that included a $15 million signing bonus. After a year waiting in the wings, took over the starting position in the 2002 season, and led the team to its first playoff berth since the 1998 Super Bowl.
    Sports watchers, at the time, were calling Vick the most athletic player in the league and comparing him to Gayle Sayers and O.J. Simpson in their heydays.
    A broken ankle in 2003 shortened his season and stifled the team’s momentum, and Reeves paid the price, losing his job.
    The following year Vick gained more yards rushing than any quarterback in league history, leading the Falcons’ to the NFC title game, where they would lose to the Eagles.
    His performance for the 2004 season netted him a second career season of MVP talks and a record $130 million contract.
    Reeves said it is time for Vick to have the opportunity to get along with his life. He has served his time, Reeves said. Reeves and Vick spoke a few weeks ago. Reeves said he advised Vick about the type of people he associates with.
    “Donovan McNabb will be great for him,” he said. “He will be a great quarterback for Vick to associate with.”

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    having been an EAGLES fan my entire life, i have this to say: I'm very dissapointed

i grew up very close to southwest philly. im a white male, from what most would consider a lower middle class family, im college educated, and work many hours, for not a lot of money, but live comfortably enough that my family is well taken care of. i live in MD now, but every year i try to get back to see at least one home game at Lincoln Financial Field. not this year. as long as vick is on the roster, i will not spend one dollar of my hard earned money to support that team. not one cent that i make will go to him. i am still, and will always be an EAGLES fan. i will watch the games for free on television, listen to them for free on the radio, and root for them to win, but i will never contribute to this organization financially.

i understand that philadelphia fans have a poor national perception. we are meatheads for the most part, and i have relished being a philly meathead for some time now. i fit the part too, and am damn proud of it. but regardless of the overzealous fans, the EAGLES organization in general has always been a class act, and a top notch franchise. i cant remember the last time a player with any type of character issues was on the roster last. even TO, who i am also not the least bit fond of, was a complete jerk on the football field and in the locker room, but his moral compass and personal life were never an issue during his time in philadelphia.

i disliked vick long before the dog fighting thing. though i dont know the man personally, and only know what i have heard about him through the media, i get the impression that hes not a locker room guy, hes a drug user, has had several run ins with the police, and seems to be an arrogant prick (not to mention the ron mexico fiasco). i always felt that he was overrated and overvalued. i do not think he feels any remorse for his crimes, i think he is only upset that he was caught and the authorities turned his world upside down. although he is speaking out against dog fighting and working with the humane society currently, i believe he is only doing what he feels needs to be done in order to get back to where he was, making millions of dollars on a national stage. hell, if i had a 130 million dollar contract taken from me, id do whatever was asked of me to even partially get back to that status too.

i am a believer in second chances. and did not oppose his re-instatement into the league. but i am terribly dissaponted that he ended up on my team. its tough to see a guy of such little moral fiber get handed more money than i will ever see in my lifetime by an organization that i have supported for over 30 years, and then have them turn around and ask me to buy tickets and merchandise in order to help pay for this mans salary. its a difficult pill to swallow, and i feel as if they are forcing it to me in suppository fashion. my money will stay in my wallet.

fuck vick...go EAGLES!!!
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    HOLY CRAP.....there goes another of Jesse Jackson's little causes. He was trying to rouse sentiment in favor of Vick earlier this week. Guess he has to find another job now.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    HOLY CRAP.....there goes another of Jesse Jackson's little causes. He was trying to rouse sentiment in favor of Vick earlier this week. Guess he has to find another job now.

Car 4
    You mean another cause , the man has never had a job.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    True Dat!

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Thread Information