Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

You just knew this story was Favre from over - Brett signs with the Minnesota Vikings

If I were a betting man, I'd swear Brett Favre would be joining the Vikings in the next few weeks, or at least attempt to join the team in that time frame.

Wait a minute, I am a betting man.
    Now, first off, this is not one of those "FOXSports.com has learned ..." news scoops. Instead, it's a picture that has been painted for me and a prediction I'm making after spending my time with Zygi Wilf's squad. My prediction couldn't be more emphatic.
    After visiting the Vikings for two days, I am convinced positively convinced that Brett Favre will soon have talks with the Vikings to return to the team and could be joining them for this season after all. If my instincts are correct, all those purple Favre jerseys will have a home on Minnesota store shelves.
    Granted, my camp stop occurred before Sage Rosenfels lit up the Colts in the preseason opener to the tune of 10-of-13 passing for 91 yards. And if Rosenfels can continue like this, he could squash this prediction as the preseason continues.
    But until I see it more consistently, I'm absolutely convinced. Why? For starters, because everyone else on the Vikings seems to be convinced of the same thing. I mean damn near everybody!
    During my two days in Mankato, nearly everyone I talked to within the team talked about Favre joining not as an "if" but rather a "when."
    Players, coaches, team employees ... you name it, they seem to believe it. The case for a Favre-Vikings marriage seems more likely than not when we look at the overall picture of clues.
    Exhibit A) Acceptance within the team that it's pretty much already done.

When I say nearly everyone I talked to on the team is convinced he's coming, that is not an exaggeration. People from all walks of life within the organization talk about it as if it's no secret, almost an afterthought. "I'm telling you it's already done," said one Viking. "Right after the Indy game (first preseason game). I don't think anyone here doesn't think that."

Another Viking said, "I don't know if it's done, but I think he'll be in by the third preseason game."
    If it happens, when is a good question. While the one source says he thinks it will happen this week, I don't. If it happens, getting him in by the third preseason game would have been ideal, but waiting until the season starts to see if the Vikings starting quarterback falters could be another route. That way Favre can come riding in on his white horse.
    Our humble host of FOX NFL Sunday, Curt Menefee, also made the trip to camp when I did, and upon our exodus from Mankato, Menefee brought up how matter-of-fact the issue seemed to be around the club. Everyone acted as if they already knew something (even if they didn't) and even Menefee said he was floored by how open it seemed and how accepted it was as more than an opinion.
    "It was crazy, it was like it was accepted as fact ... by everybody," said Menefee during a conversation while we were en route to the airport. "It wasn't even like it was a secret. I've never seen anything like it."
    Exhibit B) Favre has not closed the door on his decision.

Those close to Favre told FOXSports.com he is still contemplating what he wants to do and is still eliciting advice from people he trusts regarding his decision. Those sources say his decision either way is far from set in stone.
    Favre is still working out (at least according to what he's told others) and is still keeping in touch with members of the Vikings via text. If Favre wasn't planning to keep the door open or planning a full-on return, why would he have indicated that he would continue to throw and work out? Was that simply to make sure we all keep wondering and talking about a potential return?
    Exhibit C) Best available option.

Neither Sage Rosenfels nor Tarvaris Jackson has done anything to make the Vikings feel either is the answer at quarterback. Jackson had been hurt this summer, but even when healthy he and Rosenfels have actually been outplayed during training camp by third-stringer John David Booty. To listen to Brad Childress, one would think an open door to Favre would be in order. While I was at camp, Childress was quoted as being unhappy with the passing game. While he wanted more out of that phase of the offense, he was quick to point out that the receivers were doing well. So if the receivers are doing well but the passing game is struggling ... hmmm, who does that leave?

Exhibit D) Favre hates camp.

It's far from a secret that the NFL's version of Lou Gehrig dreads the rigors of living at a college campus, working out in the stifling sun with a bunch of kids who won't be in the league in three weeks. If he could miss camp, he would. In this case if the Vikings would take him back after camp, Favre gets his wish.
    I think any NFL jury would award the verdict to a Favre return. However, while I may be completely convinced he will at least attempt to join the team now that camp has broken, the question that now arises: Will owner Zygi Wilf give Favre the go-ahead despite previously being spurned?
    Some Vikings people vehemently attempted to convince me that the Vikings' ship has sailed to other waters. Childress has said they are fine with what the Vikings have. But until the final game of this season is played with no sign of No. 4 in sight, I'm not going to buy it.
    The Vikings know they would be a better team with Favre at the helm. But some inside the organization believe the Wilfs could have been put off by how Favre Fiasco '09 unfolded. It dragged on past soap opera drama levels and in the end, they were left jilted at a very public altar.
    However, I've got to believe that if Rosenfels and Jackson do nothing to conjure images of Fran Tarkenton, having Favre ride his mower up to the Twin Cities will begin to look awfully tempting to the Wilfs. Again, I'm a betting man and if I had to lay a bet down right now ... I'd be willing to bet my farm.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    This guy is worse than Al Gore! He just won't Freakin' go away!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Well, SportsCenter reported this morning that indeed he has signed a 2yr $25 million contract with the Vikings! So even if he gets injured in the first game he will still have his money. I think it's time he retired gracefully, oh wait, it's too late for that, he just needs to retire.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    This guy is worse than Al Gore! He just won't Freakin' go away!
    I think you're on to something here. Find a team with a drowning polar bear as mascot and we'll know where Favre is going next.

Brett seems to be following the Joe Montana playbook to tainting a legacy. Problems being Favre only one competed in one winning Superbowl and didn't leave his team with strength on the bench when he left. At least Joe only hurt himself. Sorry Favre, but as you cling to fame it looks all the more pathetic.

Still, makes me want to see the Pack smash the Vikings all the more

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    My take on the guy is he's an idiot. He could have gone down as the greatest ever in Packer QB history, which includes Bart Starr. Farve was great for Green Bay. He should have retired, worked and played on the farm and get his invite to the Hall of Fame. He would have been mobbed anywhere he went. But, no! He has to ruin other QB's hopes and dreams of playing and starting for a NFL team. It's a disruption to the sport and the locker rooms. Give it a rest. RETIRE and leave. No more talking and crying you big baby. GET OUT! Move on with your life and enjoy it while you are injury free. Now, having said all that and it's now obvious he is playing for the Vikings, I hope he gets blind sided and carted off the field by some young, fast, quick, athletic 23 year old DE. And he stands over him and says, 'you should have retired the first time old dude, the game has past you by'. Nothing serious mind you, but a big wake up call for him.
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    This story issue is getting as lame as the death of Michele Jackson!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    if the guy wants to play football let him play. hes one of the greatest QB's of all time. the vikings truly are possibly just a QB away from going to the superbowl. they have the best RB in the league, a dynamic double threat guy in harvin, a strong OL, and a punishing defense. they play in a division he is familiar with, and run an offensive scheme that hes used to. this team is a perfect fit for him. i have no problem with this at all. the packers didnt want him anymore as a starter. he wasnt ready to sit the bench or compete for playing time. the Jets are not really contenders with the personnel changes they are undergoing and the strong division/conference that they play in. in the end, its a business. he tried to retire, and wasnt ready (twice). he changed his mind. hes not a bad guy, just a bit of a diva and a drama queen. the fans made him that way. he wants the chance at another superbowl, and i think with this signing minnesota becomes the early favorite to win the NFC north. im excited to see what he does in minnesota.

GO EAGLES...fuck vick
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    ...i think with this signing minnesota becomes the early favorite to win the NFC north. im excited to see what he does in minnesota.
    You should pick him for fantasy football.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Well, the game is on. Let's see how Grandpa does tonight....

WTF?! A penalty of the very first play of the game...
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Well, the game is on. Let's see how Grandpa does tonight....
    1 for 4, for a total of 4 yards. He's going to suck here, too.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    You should pick him for fantasy football.
    i wouldnt go that far, not as a starter at least
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    i wouldnt go that far, not as a starter at least

I was being sarcastic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-15-09, 01:09 AM

Thread Information