Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Restaurant critics struggle to stay anonymous

Restaurant owners do everything in their power to spot a critic in the crowd. And in a cat-and-mouse game, critics try every trick in the book to go unnoticed, so they'll be treated like anyone else.

Bradley has been keeping tabs on Bruni, compiling a dossier that describes Bruni's preferences, his aliases, his usual dining companions, even his clothing.

"He likes to wear pretty funky sneakers," Bradley shares.

Bruni has decided to move on to a new assignment and has released a book, "Born Round," that dishes the secrets of his success. Video Watch Bruni show some of the wigs he wore to try to say anonymous

For instance, Bruni says he used credit cards with pseudonyms in order to maintain his anonymity. He'd get the cards in unisex names like Pat Reynolds or Robin Parker, so that his dining companions could use them to throw off suspicions by restaurant staff. Unfortunately, he concedes, it didn't always work.

"Dining companions are not good covert operations agents," Bruni says. It's one of the many reasons Bruni no longer feels restaurant critics can remain anonymous.

"It's impossible for someone to remain anonymous night after night and restaurant after restaurant," he says.

It's one of the many challenges that will face new Times critic Sam Sifton. Eatmedaily.com, a food blog, already has pictures of Sifton doctored to show how he'd look in disguises ranging from Donald Trump to Groucho Marx.

Waiting for Sifton's arrival in her restaurant is chef Missy Robbins of the new A Voce Columbus in midtown Manhattan. She says she tries to keep her staff calm when a critic visits and relishes the opportunity to put her best foot forward. If that means coming in on her day off or even leaving her own birthday party, she'll do it.

"When there is a critic in the house, I can promise you I'll be here in -- as quickly as I can get here."

Although it is easier than ever for restaurants to spot critics, former New York Times critic Ruth Reichl hopes the tradition of anonymity will continue.

"One of the great things that a great newspaper like the New York Times or the L.A. Times has going for it is that the critics pay their own way. They don't announce that they're coming and they do it in a really honest way," she says. Top critics generally make several visits to a restaurant before writing their review.

Reichl was writing for the Los Angeles Times when she accepted the job at the New York Times. On the flight to New York, the woman sitting next to her recognized her and started telling her details about Reichl's personal life.

"I said, 'How do you know all of this?' and she said, 'I'm a waitress and there is a huge picture of you in the restaurant I work in with "Reward" written across the bottom, and anybody who spots you gets $500,' " Reichl says.
    More here: Restaurant critics struggle to stay anonymous - CNN.com

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I usually have to go to the other side of town if I want a peaceful time.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hell I would love to be a critic. Just imagine being paid to eat It would be a fantasy come true lol
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm hungry.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I'm hungry.
    Dammit now I'm hungry again
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Damn. I'm hungry and out in the middle of nowhere. I have to drive all the way back to town for food. Good thing I have a driver.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    You're always hungry!

Some chefs can be harsher than the harshest critic when they're in restaurants. It's a completely different dining experience when I'm with industry people, regardless of the type of restaurant.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    You're always hungry!
    I'd bet that the all-you-can-eat places try to roll up the sidewalks and close up shop when they see PGG coming. Whether they succeed in doing so, is another story.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information