Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Grim reaper cat can predict which nursing home patients are hours from death

The scientist in Dr. David Dosa was skeptical when first told that Oscar, an aloof cat kept by a nursing home, regularly predicted patients' deaths by snuggling alongside them in their final hours.Dosa's doubts eroded after he and his colleagues tallied about 50 correct calls made by Oscar over five years, a process he explains in a book released this week, "Making Rounds With Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat." The feline's bizarre talent astounds Dosa, but he finds Oscar's real worth in his fierce insistence on being present when others turn away from life's most uncomfortable topic: death.
    He's accurate enough that the staff including Dosa know it's time to call family members when Oscar stretches beside their patients, who are generally too ill to notice his presence. If kept outside the room of a dying patient, he'll scratch at doors and walls, trying to get in.Nurses once placed Oscar in the bed of a patient they thought gravely ill. Oscar wouldn't stay put, and the staff thought his streak was broken. Turns out, the medical professionals were wrong, and the patient rallied for two days. But in the final hours, Oscar held his bedside vigil without prompting.
    Dosa does not explain Oscar scientifically in his book, although he theorizes the cat imitates the nurses who raised him or smells odors given off by dying cells, perhaps like some dogs who scientists say can detect cancer using their sense of scent.

More here:
    Scientist profiles cat who predicts death - TODAY Health

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm surprised some health board hasn't thrown a fit about a cat inside the place
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I'm surprised some health board hasn't thrown a fit about a cat inside the place
    Some nursing or long term care homes allow pets, good for the patients/residents. As long as it is disclosed before admission and there are no patients with pet allergies I think it is a good thing. A lot of the elderly have no family members close by or visitors so they get the next best thing a loving pet, an unconditional friend (which in some cases is even better then family).

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

ohionarc is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I've been told that "Darth" aka my wife, can predict the same thing.............she tells me all the time I'm gonna die if I keep up my crap!

OhioNarc

TheBigO
    Somewhere in Ohio

"There will be no peace until they (terrorist) love their children more than they hate ours"

The opinions represented here are mine, they are not intended to in anyway represent my agency.....

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    My wife's older Irish Setter, Brigett, knows when we are sick and dotes on us till we are better.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Maybe they're afraid that if they tried, the cat would come and cuddle up to them....

WyomingSunrise is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I wonder if I were ill and in a nursing home with this cat, if it would be comforting or terrifying to have the cat lay with me? I guess it would depend on how ill I was, if I'd made peace etc.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If someone would just shoot that damn cat nobody else will die.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information