Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Verified LEO

Anyone get Shoulder Surgery?

So last June I went out on job injury with a torn labrum repair surgery, and I returned to work at the end of October. I have started to hurt again the past few weeks after originally being cleared to return to work and get back into the gym. So now I am back at physical therapy once a week, and I can't do any chest or shoulder routines in the gym right now. Really depressing.

Has anyone gotten shoulder surgery? If so, what was your recovery time like?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Sorry the pain is coming back. Can you remember doing anything in particular that might have caused it, or did it just come back randonly? Maybe your exercises were too vigorous when you first started? I haven't experienced anything like that, though, so I'm just speculating. I hope you get back to 100% soon.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have an appt on the 12th to see what's up with my shoulder. I am also in enough pain that I can't do any upper body excercises. Hopefully no surgery and I have no idea what has caused mine except for maybe the job for so many years.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Good luck, Lewisipso. I hope you can get it fixed, preferably without surgery.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It takes time to heal, i was out for 2 months after tearing the rotator cuff, but I got to take some really wacky meds!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Verified LEO
    Well I did start up my regular gym routine, and I was told I could. They think it just got inflamed from the workouts, but don't think I damaged it anymore. It sucks bc staying fit for this job is a must and I have to cut back on all of my workouts now.

triggerpull is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've had a shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and a damaged clavical. It wasn't the end of the world, and the surgery didn't actually hurt all that much. I think I was off work maybe 3 weeks. I was supposed to be off about 2 months, but rehabbed hard to get back quicker. Reaching over to grab my seat belt was the worst part of going back early.

The best thing I can tell you is if you end up getting any kind of surgery do not keep your arm in the sling more than just the first couple of days. Otherwise atrophy sets in and you will lose all your muscle in your arm. Just keep your arm down by your side or in your pocket or rested up next to your side.

This is seriously a must! I cannot say anything else more important. I know many guys who have listened to this advice and a few who haven't. All that listened to me on the "no sling" have no muscle loss even a few months after the surgery. The others even years later are still fighting to get there muscle tone and strength back. The doctor will tell you 1 month or more in the sling, but only put it on to go in for your visits.

Again, I'm not saying to use your arm for anything, just don't leave it lying motionless in a sling. It kills your muscle tone and makes rehab way harder. Doctors only want the sling so you don't damage the incisions from using your arm.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have a steel plate at the shoulder end of my collar bone and at the same time, before that surgery, I was having pain that my doctor thought was a rotator cuff problem but I had not had it checked out to be sure. After the steel plate was put in and I went through PT, the other pain went away. I still have some pain at the plate site during cold or damp weather and some limited mobility (can't throw anything overhand very hard). Other than that, not much problem.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Thanks guys.

Yeah I am back in PT once a week, and received a cortisone shot. Both have helped a lot. I have to cut back on my gym routine. They think that I just strained it working out a little harder than I should have.

I was pretty much out of the sling right away post surgery in June, and was in PT like 3 days after. The Dr. and PT's are great at my place.

I have started to feel better lately, although I wish I could do more at the gym. I'll take it slow and hope to be as close to 100% as possible soon. I am probably like 80% right now.

DeputyDuc is offline On a wheel
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonBPD View Post

I have started to feel better lately, although I wish I could do more at the gym. I'll take it slow and hope to be as close to 100% as possible soon. I am probably like 80% right now.
    I know the feeling, but don't rush back to your pre-injury levels. While I never had surgery I have lived with an intermittently shoulder-debilitating cuff injury since my late teens (baseball injury).

The thing that ALWAYS sets me back: trying to push the heavy weights.

It ain't worth it. Say that 200 times until you realize it and live it.

I've been through the cycle - heavy lifting, injury, recover, heavy lifting... Re-injured myself w.heavy dummies. Now I don't give a crap about heavy weights. Put that time and effort towards some good DT training and you'll be better equipped to deal w.threats anyway.

Good luck. Shoulders are a vulnerable and tough-to-rehab area.

Thread Information