Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P90X: Xiphos

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

P90X: Xiphos

I'm starting a thread to track my P90X progress. Feel free to start one of your own if you are trying a fitness regimen. I wanted to log it and all the P90X sites look like a sales pitch. Blech.

So I'm in terrible shape. Parenthood and marriage have given me many more priorities and I've never had any kind of fitness habit anyway. I got into pretty good shape about 7 years ago when I was applying to different agencies but that was the last time I've had any kind of consistent workout. The last couple years we've had a gym membership and I've gone irregularly. I'm getting ready to apply to another agency and I need to do something. I don't want a "but" when they look at me and say, "He's a good candidate."

My current job has a safety buffer for poor fitness. Within seconds I'd have a pile of cops on anyone I'm fighting. So it feels comfortable and safe. But the new place I want to go to, my backup may be a day away. I need to get back into good fighting shape again.

I was never on a sports team that had any kind of workout routine so I've never learned a good regimen for building strength and endurance. Even the police academy was more like, "Go lift weights for an hour and then we'll all go running." My gym time has consisted of wandering around different stations and checking out how the weights felt. But I've never had any instruction or training.

So I decided to try the P90X. I like that it has a specific routine that you are lead through. Most of it is brand new to me. I also like that I can do it at home. I can do it before going out to run errands and I don't need to worry about getting out to the gym "later."

My active lifestyle at work kept me from being the bottom of the pile during the pre-test. I surpassed all the minimums but not by much.

Monday was "Day 1" and I did the shoulders and back. I could do everything although my rep count was pretty low. Ever since I've been crippled. I couldn't shave my head after the workout but managed to move my arms enough to accomplish it later at work. I'm popping Tylenol like candy and I can't see any improvement with the pain.

Yesterday was Plyometrics. I made it halfway through the workout before I thought I was going to pass out. Seriously, I had tunnel vision and dizziness. Wow. I recovered quickly but I can see it's going to take me a while to get used to this. My last couple foot pursuits involved me using the car to pen in the suspects until I had a perimeter set up.

Today was arms and shoulders and I almost cried the first half of the workout. I'm already fucked up from Monday and this was like sticking hot pokers in my arms and shoulders.

One thing I've noticed is that this is relentless. It just keeps going and going. Which I suppose is good. I think what helped me today, with the pain, was that I couldn't stop and take a break. To follow the video I had to push through it and keep going and that certainly helped. After a few of the exercises I either got numb or just worked out the soreness and I could keep going.

Yoga sounds nice after today but I have a feeling it'll just be a different torture.

Despite the soreness I already like how I feel.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Use Ibuprofen instead of the tylenol, with lots of water.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Good luck and keep at it, Xiphos!

My weight has been fluctuating over the last year and a few months ago I started training with a friend who has given me a routine based somewhat on the FBI's PFT. Maybe when I return from my travels this weekend I'll start keeping track here as well, I think the support here will be very helpful.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wow, Xiphos, my eyes hurt just from reading about the pain you are experiencing as a result of your exercise regimen! I hope you get lots of gain for your pain!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This P90X sure seems popular. I might check on it myself.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have used P90X, but not regulary.........I do hit the gym 4-5 days a week, so mostly just do Plyo, I really enjoy that work out. But I agree it is non stop in your face workout!!!!!! I will gladly join you on here with the workouts that I do perform on P90X............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I just got done with plyo and it is a BIOTCH!!!!!!! Run Stance Squat Switch Pickups can suck it!!!! If you think that's hard, wait until your recovery week...."Core Synergistics" is, by far, the hardest workout I've ever done (it's a good thing you only have to do CS on recovery weeks!). Lemme know if you have any questions...the best advice i have is to follow a diet plan with it. You can't out work a crappy diet. I'm on week 1 of Phase 2 and have lost 10 lbs thus far and I have already noticed a change in my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I just got done with plyo and it is a BIOTCH!!!!!!! Run Stance Squat Switch Pickups can suck it!!!! If you think that's hard, wait until your recovery week...."Core Synergistics" is, by far, the hardest workout I've ever done (it's a good thing you only have to do CS on recovery weeks!). Lemme know if you have any questions...the best advice i have is to follow a diet plan with it. You can't out work a crappy diet. I'm on week 1 of Phase 2 and have lost 10 lbs thus far and I have already noticed a change in my body.
    How long before you aren't crippled?

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How long before you aren't crippled?
    it got WAAAAY better for me the 2nd week. I think plyo works muscles that you don't hit on the gym on leg day typically. My hip flexors were so sore that I couldn't stand up straight for a day and a half.
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I am interested in this blog of yours Xiphos...wonder how the program works. I had knee surgery as you all know last year and am now in a rut of off and on exercising and am now the heaviest I have ever been and it sucks. I HATE working out alone and schedule at work and our small dept makes it hard to find a partner. Boot camps and gym personal trainers are too expensive as I as I am paying off my debt.

So....I am hoping you will motivate me...I freakin need it. lol GO XIPHOS!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I made it a half hour into yoga. Holy crap! I think it would have gone better if I hadn't been in agony already. I'm looking forward to the workout when I'm not so sore.

Verified LEO
    I made it a half hour into yoga. Holy crap! I think it would have gone better if I hadn't been in agony already. I'm looking forward to the workout when I'm not so sore.
    I only do the first 45 minutes...the 2nd 45 minutes are all "balance poses" and I don't have time to do them. The first 45? Crazy. My brother used to do "Bikram Yoga" and that's a million times harder.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I did the Legs and Back today. Much better, I could keep up with the video and completed it. I like walking at work so I think I have strong legs and could keep up with a few of the exercises, albeit without weights. I'm very happy they didn't mess with my triceps again, they're still in agony from the arms workout earlier this week. My reps aren't very high with the pull ups, and I need the chair to help. I figure though it'll help improve that significantly in the future.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I did Kenpo today before I came to work. It was pretty fun. I had trouble following some of the forms later in the video. It got complicated and I looked like a wounded chicken trying to follow but I got the hang of it. I mostly kept and found it pretty intense. A good workout!

I know I haven't really changed yet but I feel better. Despite the stiffness and soreness I do feel good. I'm sleeping better. I am more alert and awake at work, and I don't feel like a couch potato. So far it's been great. I'm looking forward to getting through some workouts without the pain already there from the day before.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    I did the Legs and Back today. Much better, I could keep up with the video and completed it. I like walking at work so I think I have strong legs and could keep up with a few of the exercises, albeit without weights. I'm very happy they didn't mess with my triceps again, they're still in agony from the arms workout earlier this week. My reps aren't very high with the pull ups, and I need the chair to help. I figure though it'll help improve that significantly in the future.
    great use of "albeit"

you really slipped that in there. im impressed
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Today was back and shoulders again. This was the hardest day so far. I woke up this morning without the wrecked soreness that's marked all my waking moments since last Monday. It was hard to get motivated. Really hard.

I found my push ups were stronger than before but my pull ups were weaker. I really struggled and couldn't do pull ups without the chair. Which is odd because last week I could at least bang out a couple. I think it's still part of being messed up from last week.

I also found the warm up was easier and I could keep up better. Last week, the warm up was a workout all by itself... It still is but not as tough.

I'm curious how tomorrow will be. So far I don't feel really sore, just a little tight.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO

I found my push ups were stronger than before but my pull ups were weaker. I really struggled and couldn't do pull ups without the chair. Which is odd because last week I could at least bang out a couple. I think it's still part of being messed up from last week.
    1st off, pull-ups are hard as shit for most people. i dont know what youre weighing in at, but heavier guys, lets say over 200lbs, usually have a hell of time with pull ups.

if you want to increase your pullups, when you arent feeling so sore, and you have a little extra time outside of your P90X workout, try doing some negative pull-ups. just grab the bar, jump up and get your chin up over the bar and hold yourself up there til failure. do it a couple times a day. it really builds up your lats and arms, and will help increase your pull-ups dramatically.

good job, and keep at it
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Verified LEO
    Great work thus far, Xiphos....this is a pretty teriffic workout system if you can push through the soreness and continue to "hit play everyday" as Tony Horton says. Don't feel bad about using the chair for pullups...I have to use it too. If you held a shotgun to my head, I could probably bang 1 pullup out. Maybe. If the shotgun were loaded. But my buddy, who turned me onto this program, said when he first started last February that he could do 3 pullups (on a good day). A year later and he's actually bought a weighted vest because he was actually exceeding the time allowed on the videos for pullups (sets of 30+). That, and the prospect of actually seeing ab muscles, are what's getting me through this program.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This week has been much better. I have none of the soreness and pain I had last week. I did back and arms and crushed my first week numbers. I had higher weight and at least the same reps, usually more. I don't think I'm suddenly terribly stronger, I just wasn't starting out in agony so I could really put a lot more into it.

The yoga, I dread. I don't know why we're waterboarding Gitmo terrorists, we should make them do yoga with Tony Horton. I lasted longer this week but still couldn't get through the whole thing.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Week 3 started today. Shoulders and back. I crushed most of my reps last week, it's nice to see improvement already. I was nauseated when I was done and it took a bit to settle down. It was a good, hard workout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information