Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Agency Sponsored Fitness

Our City recently began a fitness program. We had a health fair for all city employees which included cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, bone density, body fat/body mass index, carbon monoxide level for smokers, and gait analysis. The fair was free and voluntary and the turnout was great.

They also offered a greatly discounted gym membership at the local YMCA (premium membership at a regular membership cost for single or family membership). The membership is payroll deducted and if the employee attends a minimum of 8 times a month, the City pays an amount equal to half of a single membership.

They also removed most of the unhealthy snacks and drinks in the vending machines and replaced them with more healthy choices.

Does anyone else have any agency sponsored fitness programs?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fit test every six months. Up for grabs is 2% on top of your base pay and 8 hours of fit time (paid leave).

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Our city does a wellness program for everyone on the payroll. Points accrued by completing monthly activity logs, BP and body fat checks, etc etc. Max of $200 (taxed) per year per participant (if my wife would get off her can and do it, we'd get a check for about $325 for both of us after taxes) and it comes at Christmas time. Pretty sweet deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We don't get anything. Though we have a gym here available for use. I think I'm the only guy that uses it
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    We get an hour a day on duty to PT on duty in our really nice PD gym. It rules. Lots of guys use it.
    Idiot

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    We get an hour a day on duty to PT on duty in our really nice PD gym. It rules. Lots of guys use it.
    you guys do have a very, very nice facility....especially the gym. Didn't some lady die and leave some money for you guys to outfit it?
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    We use LawFit; if you play the game and do the silly fitness test, you can work out for about an hour on the clock, if staffing permits. We've got a decent gym, largely supplied by the Police Association. Small & tight, though. More than two or three at once makes working out difficult.

Catch is the silly games of the fit test pretty much have always meant fighting traffic to do it or stay over for a couple of hours on mids, since when I was on patrol, somebody had to cover the street during the test... (attempts to have even a single test opportunity later in the day have been pointedly ignored...) And I rarely got to work out on the clock because my workout had to fit around everyone else's, as well as calls for service. Meanwhile, some folks "hour" was more like two. Because they needed to change to workout, then cleanup afterwards... and often they were people whose workout time was near-sacred.

You can use 1/2 hour for "wellness" by the municipality rules without the games ... but that's kind of useless...

Personally, I'd like to see them dump the silly fit test because they don't monitor the results, look for improvement or anything else. Our GOs actually encourage fitness specifically, and part of the annual eval is whether you complied with any doctor's orders on fitness. Bluntly, functional fitness is important. If it's important... with a 12 hour shift, it's hard to add an hour or more for a workout into a work day. And we all have crap we need to do on days off. So, why require a meaningless test to maintain fitness? I've never received a satisfactory answer to that... I think it amounts to a battle with the municipal manager that none of the brass has been willing to fight.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    you guys do have a very, very nice facility....especially the gym. Didn't some lady die and leave some money for you guys to outfit it?

Yeah - an old lady died and left a significant amount of money to the officers at the PD, and stipulated that it be used for what the officers wanted and not the admin. We all got together and pretty quickly decided we wanted a gym. I was injured at the time, and got the duty of outfitting it. We had a committee that decided what type of equipment we wanted, and I contacted several companies with our gym dimensions, and what we wanted to do. Got bids from several companies, and Cybex won our hearts and dollars. We kept a good chunk of money in an account to pay for maintanence and additional equipment if we decided we need it.
    Idiot

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Small & tight, though.
    TWSS

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Since I was bored . . . . .

Our weight room . .

Then our "chokes and throws" room

Note that all of our "beating dummies" have Fire Dept shirts on . . . . .
    Idiot

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nothing here. Get a workout when you can.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    My work has a health survey that you can take through webMD, if you complete it its an extra 20/pay period. Complete the tobacco non-user form and that's an additional 20/pay period. Health insurance reimburses about 100/year if you have a gym membership at participating gyms
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    We have access to local authority owned gyms at a discounted rate deducted from payroll and also the National Cycle to Work scheme which allows you to buy a pedal cycle of uo to 1000 value, pay for it monthly direct from payroll and offset tax against it - this gives a saving of between 40 - 48% on the price depending on your rate of pay / tax deduction.
    There are also gyms at most of the larger stations paid for by our Sports & Social Fund which are free to use if you're a member of the SSF.
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you want a good work out go out and buck hay
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    We don't get anything. Though we have a gym here available for use. I think I'm the only guy that uses it
    So that's how you work off all those calories after eating those large quantities of food that I hear you have a reputation for. I knew you had a secret.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    So that's how you work off all those calories after eating those large quantities of food that I hear you have a reputation for. I knew you had a secret.
    He probably eats the hay, too!

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    My departments idea of agency sponsored fitness is calling us fat. Other than that they'll do nothing to encourage any kind of physical fitness.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    If you want a good work out go out and buck hay
    BTDT. Cut, raked, baled, and loaded (x2). Even if it was hotter than hell out you still had to wear long sleeve shirts and leather gloves. I still got slivers of hay in my arms.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't have an agency requirement, but I'd say we're a decently fit department. Quite a few of us use our PD gym before shift. It's decent size, and well appointed. Good cardio machines (two treadmills, an elliptical, and a bike), a decent free weight set, and some machines. There's a fair amount of room for the P90x-ers, and our FOP donated the funds for a good TV/sound system. We don't have any real incentive, but there is a GO on the books that allows us to use our contract-mandated 50 minutes of code 7 time for a workout. The workout has to be "lighter in nature" because we are still subject to emergency call. That usually means just some lifting while wearing a t-shirt, uniform pants, and boots.

Our gym:

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Nice 121.

I'm a big fan of the PD having fitness equipment, and giving their guys time to PT. Frankly, I think if someone tracked the numbers, the guys who work out regularly seem to have fewer injuries on duty than the ones who don't.
    Idiot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information