Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Gophers

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Gophers

I recently (as of about 2 days ago) started trapping gophers. The little township road I live on is named after the varmints, and it certainly lives up to it's name.

Anyone have any experience gopher trapping? Tips? Hints? Tricks?

I've gotten 3 since yesterday. I'm using death clutch traps, and bait them with a little dab of peanut butter. I wear rubber gloves to keep my scent off the traps, but have heard it really doesn't matter.

Also, I'm noticing a little rust on my traps. Should this be a concern? Should I use that dye/wax stuff, or can I just spray a little wd-40 on them?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I saw this somewhere..........baaaaaaaa

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T1CQF8E]YouTube - Caddyshack Clip - License to kill gophers[/ame]
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A .22 would be a lot more fun.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    A .22 would be a lot more fun.
    +1
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    No parking for you!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    These are pocket gophers. The live almost their entire lives underground, and they build mounds on the surface. I've lived almost my entire life in this area, and have never seen a pocket gopher above ground. So, a .22 is no good.

I would try poison but I have dogs and chickens. The poisons are primarily oats w/ strychnine. Well, if the gophers die and my dogs get them, the dogs will get sick or die. And if the chickens find the strychnine oats, they'll die.

I already tried gas bombs by opening their tunnels up and filling them with gas/smoke...but they only mocked me after that.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dynamite? Someone que another Caddyshack vid, I'm at work with no access to youtube.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Dynamite?
    I wouldn't mind getting one of these.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdky7hBp-E&feature=related]YouTube - Rodenator - Burrowing Pest Control[/ame]

The rodenator injects a LP gas/oxygen mixture into the ground. The mix is ignited when the tunnels are full of gas, causing an underground explosion/concussion that kills the gophers and collapses tunnels.

Unfortunately it's something like $1,200. A lot more expensive than the 6 traps I got for 30 bucks.

In addition to that, my township offers a bounty for dead gophers. At 3 bucks per dead gopher, my traps will be paid off by the end of the week. Gas, poison, and the rodenator won't get me bounty money.

Thread Information