Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class

Gaining lots of Muscle, Fast!

Does anybody out there have any hints (not steroids) or know of any supplements that can help me gain lots of muscle in a short amount of time? What works for you? What doesn't?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Diet: You need a gram of protein for every pound. Sound like a lot? It is, and it is hard as hell to accomplish and keep fat intake in check.

Building muscle means heavier weight with lower reps. Pyramid sets worked for me.

This is coming from someone that is trying to lean out though.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Protein is important, but a gram per pound is hell on your kidneys.

Unless you are seriously hitting the gym about as much as you work, I'd talk to a nutritionist.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are right Mac. When I was going to town in the gym I had a very hard time doing that. Then again I was drinking nothing but water and lots of it. If you are not spending some serious time moving iron don't bother with the protein.

You will be really surprised at what you can accomplish doing correct form calisthenics and counting calories.

Then again you could get your mind right and become a freak like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw79BUVQxow]YouTube - Weight Room Freak: Trent Richardson[/ame]

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

How about just taking some protein? Not per pound, but maybe a shake a day? I hit the gym about 4 days a week, but I seem to have hit a wall. I'm not gaining anymore muscle and I "think" I look the same?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How long do you work out per 4 day a week session?

about 1 and half hours, sometimes 2

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Are you intaking any protein or calories during that workout? Anything over an hour and you should. I would recommend something like this:

Not all at once, but sip it between sets. Water and one of these during workouts. You are probably getting a glucose drop during such periods of high intensity workouts. This will affect your performance. If I'm right you will feel the difference by adding something like the above supplement.

Myoplex Deluxe afterwards on the way home.

Low fat, low carb, but 210 calories to get you through an extended workout (anything over 45 min with little rest)

Myoplex Strength RTD - Strawberry Cream

EAS
    New!
    Myoplex Strength RTD - Strawberry Cream
    12 x 14 Oz

Our Price: $34.50

Enter Competitor's Web Address
    Their
    Price $
    Customer Reviews: (No Reviews, Create a Review)
    Quick Links: Product Description; Nutrional Information; Customer Reviews;
    Related Categories: Energy Drinks & Sports Beverages;

Product Description

Many of you have asked us about our new EAS® Myoplex® Strength Formula,specifically wondering if this product is a replacement for Myoplex Original.

We want to assure you that this is not the case. EAS Myoplex Strength Formula is a new formulation, in a new container – a reclosable plastic bottle. Developed to suit the needs of fitness enthusiasts, it is a lighter, creamier tasting version of Myoplex Original. The new shake offers 25 grams of high-quality protein, which is an amount appropriate for many active individuals.

Each person requires a different amount of protein depending on factors such as weight and time spent exercising. We know that not every athlete or individual may need 40 plus grams of protein to refuel and rebuild their muscles. With Myoplex Strength Formula shake, we are providing a product developed to suit the nutritional needs of most athletes.

Nutritional Information

Serving Size 1 Bottle (14 oz)

Servings Per Pack 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories 210

Calories from Fat 25

% Daily Value
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 320mg 13%
    Potassium 290mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrate 23g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Sugars 5g
    Protein 25g 50%
    Vitamin A 35%
    Vitamin C 100%
    Calcium 40%
    Iron 0%
    Vitamin D 30%
    Vitamin E 100%
    Vitamin K 35%
    Thiamin 35%
    Riboflavin 35%
    Niacin 35%
    Vitamin B6 35%
    Folate 80%
    Vitamin B12 35%
    Biotin 35%
    Pantothenic Acid 35%
    Phosphorus 40%
    Iodine 35%
    Magnesium 30%
    Zinc 35%
    Selenium 50%
    Manganese 35%
    Chromium 90%
    Molybdenum 60%
    Chloride 6%
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
    Ingredients: Filtered Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Corn Maltodextrin, Less than 2% of: Calcium Caseinate, Soy Protein Isolate, Sucrose, Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Gluconate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Manganese Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide, Phytonadione, Cyanocobalamin), High Oleic Safflower Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gel, Gellan Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Red #3, Blue #1.

I take something similar one hour before my workout, and then I take another when I get home about 15 minutes after my workout?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan701 View Post
    I take something similar one hour before my workout, and then I take another when I get home about 15 minutes after my workout?
    If you are "getting it done" for more than 45 minutes you need something during. Sip not drinking.

OK, cool! I will try that and will see how that works. Thanks for the advice. If you have anymore advice, it's more than welcome. I want to "bulk up." I'm a pretty tall guy and I look quite thin. I'm wondering if this has any effect on becoming a Police Officer?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan701 View Post
    OK, cool! I will try that and will see how that works. Thanks for the advice. If you have anymore advice, it's more than welcome. I want to "bulk up." I'm a pretty tall guy and I look quite thin. I'm wondering if this has any effect on becoming a Police Officer?
    You should really work on the good form calisthenics and running more than anything. Injury from carrying too much weight is the biggest enemy for me and most officers. I carry my 230lbs pretty well and I pass a PT test every six months, but my knees will thank me for getting to my goal of 200 lbs. Take your weight and add about 30lbs and that is what you carry with duty boots, vest, and gear all the time.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Eat tuna sandwiches with low fat mayo. It is working for me. I am dropping weight (finally) without giving up too much strength. I get my protein and I am not gaining too much fat from it. If you are hitting a wall, try switching some of the routines you are doing to "shock" your muscles. I do a split week plan right now- Monday= chest, tri's and shoulders; Tuesday= bi's back and legs. Thursday= same as Monday and Friday same as Tuesday. Cardio the other days. I have been making great gains the past month and now have my bench up to 350, up from 225 a couple of months ago when I started back lifting. I pyramid my sets going light to heavy and not much rest in between sets. I can knock out most everything each day pretty quick, and always do some cardio when I am done. This works for me anyway. If weight is not the issue for you and you are getting burned out early in your workout, try adding some carbs to give you energy. Just stay reasonable on how much you use.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    You should really work on the good form calisthenics and running more than anything. Injury from carrying too much weight is the biggest enemy for me and most officers. I carry my 230lbs pretty well and I pass a PT test every six months, but my knees will thank me for getting to my goal of 200 lbs. Take your weight and add about 30lbs and that is what you carry with duty boots, vest, and gear all the time.
    I have noticed this as well, and do a lot of leg workouts to help my knees. I've noticed that this helps me with many of my other workouts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    Eat tuna sandwiches with low fat mayo. It is working for me. I am dropping weight (finally) without giving up too much strength. I get my protein and I am not gaining too much fat from it. If you are hitting a wall, try switching some of the routines you are doing to "shock" your muscles. I do a split week plan right now- Monday= chest, tri's and shoulders; Tuesday= bi's back and legs. Thursday= same as Monday and Friday same as Tuesday. Cardio the other days. I have been making great gains the past month and now have my bench up to 350, up from 225 a couple of months ago when I started back lifting. I pyramid my sets going light to heavy and not much rest in between sets. I can knock out most everything each day pretty quick, and always do some cardio when I am done. This works for me anyway. If weight is not the issue for you and you are getting burned out early in your workout, try adding some carbs to give you energy. Just stay reasonable on how much you use.
    I never thought about changing up my routine. I will try that. I always try to keep my heart rate up a little while working out, so that I can improve my cardio. I've noticed that this helps me with running.

As far as food goes, that's a problem. I can't eat Tuna or Mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, ect. That is why I was also wondering about supplements and what works or doesn't work?

WAMBAUGHREADER is offline Fattest, cop, ever.
    Betagen or mass action< very effective. cellmass is also quite good. if you're eating whole foods for your protein, amino acids are good to add. if you're taking a good bit of whey protein, it already has all the amino's you need. other than that: water, whey, multivitamin. glucosamine(SULFATE, not hcl) and Cissus, and rest. if your muscles grow fast, your joints may not keep up, hence the glucosamine and cissus. fish oil is also good on a certain level for your muscles and joints, on top of the most marketed effects.
    Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Eat, east and eat some more. As stated get a good quality W.P.I. (Whey Protein Isolate) powder and smash into that also.

Consider a product by manufactuer "Animal" called M-STAK. Get for bulking up (muscle, not fat). Its a measured dose of supplements per day that assist in what you are after. This prodcut is natural ingredient, non-hormonal based, so you wont get a roid rage or any side effects. Take same for 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

Good luck
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Cool! I will look for that. Thanks!

1ATony is offline Rookie
    Last summer I tried something out that I haven't tried before and that's eating more chicken,tuna,steak (few times/week),and not taking any supplements but trying to get most of my protien from food, I just didn't have an extra 60bucks a month for protien powder.

This is basically what I did and what worked with good results for me.

cereal or oatmeal in the morning

yogurt at 10:00

Tuna/chicken or steak at lunch

WORK OUT AT 1:00

yogurt at 3:00

supper at 6:00 chicken or fish

I ate this for June/July/August and only lifted with dumbells (except when hitting legs) and I gained about 10-15LBS of muscle.

The dumbells really filled in my traps,shoulders and chest pretty good. It's really hard to cook and eat right,but if you can do it try it out.

If you can work out at night and then go to bed. I did that when I was younger and I really gained size fast,because your body is at rest and will repair the ripped muscle cells while you sleep.

Well, I can't work out at 1PM but I do work out at night and then go to sleep.

I will try it out! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information