Welcome to the APBWeb.
    cfallsguy is offline Rookie

Getting into a running routine

Hey there, I've been a long time lurker, thanks to Five-O for informing me of this site, and figured I'd get active with getting some help before my academy rolls around at the end of January. I know to pass the academy you have to pass a fitness test and I can do what is required except for running, that has always been my downfall. My problem is I played baseball for 12 or so years and was always in a sprinting state of mind and never pacing, so learning to pace myself is taking some time to get down and I was hoping someone here could help me with a good routine to get into. In the warm seasons I would walk at least every other day for a few miles just to do so, but have been running off and on for several months.

To get into a good routine I've followed the couch to 5k program just to build up but I'm only into the 3rd week now and don't know if this will prepare me in time to pass the physical test. The running portion required is to do 1 1/2 miles in 12:30 or so, and that averages out to a steady 8 mph run, correct? I know it's not a hard task just looking for something to help me reach that goal by the end of academy (mid-May I believe). Does anyone have any tips/pointers/guides to help me reach this goal?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would stick with that sprinting mentality because those will build your wind. I am not and was not a runner in the academy days. I have always had a hard time keeping a pace on my own. The running was much easier when running in a group during my academy. We had four groups based on times. I started out in the 4th group. By the end of the academy I was in the 2nd. I have not been running with the weather (and mainly lack of daylight when I get home), but when I was I was using this smartphone app:

About - WorkSmart CardioTrainer

This app tracks your runs, walks, bike rides ect using GPS. It updates you every minute alternating with pace and distance. It also allows you to race yourself from other runs you have gone on before.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

That sounds like a good app for my phone but I'm not really able to run outside due to the snow so I'm stuck with running on a treadmill. Is there a good procedure to follow for building up a tolerance? Such as sprint at X mph for X amount of time, then walk for X amount of time, then repeat? I'm basically just trying to finish my 1 1/2 miles and be done with it, I'm not a fan of running as of now and I still stay active with sports in the summer.

Edit: And during academy do you start off by running 1 1/2 miles everyday or work your way up with the group?

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I have never been a runner in my life. I met one our members here at Police Week this year who turned me on to the couch potato to 5k. I am 100% sure that it will prepare you if you stick to it. By the end of the training I was running over 3 miles and I was averaging under 8 minutes a mile for all three miles. The thing with this program is that it is a slow build so you feel like you will never make it. I was so proud when I ran my first 5k. Stick to it. I always went with the option of times run rather than the distance.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    During my academy we were at the mercy of the director. He was a former Marine DI and was a freaking machine for his age. Some days we ran sprints in the gym, long runs out side, some runs were as a group where the last in line sprinted to the front of the line over a distance. I want to say our farthest run was around five miles. Most averaged just over three (twice the distance of the timed run of 1.5 miles). Just hearing about this Couch to 5k though. I would like to try that when it warms up. Any links?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

I have an app for my phone called "Exertime" which allows you to load each weeks schedule and times you. It breaks it down by starting with a 5 minute walk, then 1 minute run followed by 2 minute walk, repeated. Over time you run more and walk less.
    Here's a link to read:
    Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program

I guess I will stick with the c25k plan and build from there. Reca, when you did the program, what pace did you run/walk? That's one disadvantage with the treadmill is that I have to set the pace for both.

hudson69 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I would check out the numerous workout routines on Military.com Mobile | Headline News. Just use their search engine and put in fitness and you should find it. They have a ton of great information and it is straight forward and dont want to sell you anything. I have used it to take minutes off of two mile runs for the Guard (sub 8 minute miles; fast for me).
    “A man ought to do what he thinks is right”

-John Wayne-

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    This is one routine that can reduce your times on your runs. You've got 12:30 to do a mile and half. This is easiest to get the feel of on a treadmill, but you can do it on a track or trail, too.

So... you're going to go for 12:30. Beginning point, start at a walk. Maybe 3, 3.5 mph. After a minute and half, run. Say 6.2 initially. Do that for a minute and half, then drop back down to the walk. Repeat for the total time. As you train, you can up the initial speeds, so you might eventually start at 6.2 for the "walk", then be at something like 9 mph (or better) for the run. You can lengthen the interval, up to 3 minutes each, as well.

Like I said -- it's easiest to start on a treadmill, if you've got access, but you can do this on a track. There, you'd start out at the walk, then run at a pace that you can do the interval, then drop back down, and so on... Or start at a jog, move up to a near sprint, back down to the jog, etc.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!
    The only thing that would get me to do 12:30 on that run would be a strategically used cattle prod. I was NEVER a runner...not in the military and not in the academy. Of course, the fact that I smoke like a chimney doesn't do much to help. But, I do belong to the Y and use the treadmill while I'm there. I don't run but I do the interval program at a fast walk with the incline raising and lowering during the program.
    Lately, I've been working more on my arms. I'm a conductor for a drum & bugle corps and we have a concert coming up in April...I want to make sure that I don't have "tsunami" arms.
    Remembering Officer Richard Phelps, Lemoyne (PA) PD, EOW- 7/11/89

Some good suggestions here, the Military site also has a lot of info as well so thanks for the link. Currently at 1.5 miles in 12:40 so I have two months to shave at least a minute off of that, should be very doable. That's probably my best since I was never a distance type of runner. I'll try some of these suggestions and post what worked and my times every 1.5 mile run I do.

Al Gray is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    cfallsguy ...... just new and getting into the various posts. You're dealing with aerobic / anaerobic stamina, endurance & conditioning, both of which will be a part of a successful 1.5 mile sub 12:40 time. Working on 'intervals' as suggested, walk / run on treadmill will work on your anaerobic conditioning ...... Progressive conditioning to the 1.5 mile run is the challenge. Good 5 - 8 minute warmup before any of this. On an outside track just get out and run it, keep track and record of your time and endeavor to improve on elapsed time each run. It is not easy and really not fun getting to the point of success. A treadmill can be utilized also - warmup, set elevation @ 2.0%, select a speed you can handle comfortably and run. Watch the odometer on the treadmill for your distance and keep track of your time. As your conditioning improves, you feel better, progressively increase the speed ie: 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5. As previously noted you will have to maintain a steady run speed of 7.5 - 8.0 mph to get your time close to or under the 12:40.

Verified LEO
    cfallsguy ..... just an added note to my earlier post ...... do the treadmill routine twice a week and the 1.5 mile run once a week. When your interval settings become easy make adjustments to the incline / elevation, time duration for run / walk. In your off days consider some conditioning strength and flexibility training which will help in the overall performance for the test requirements. Don't know what Dept. you are applying for but would be interested in knowing what the fitness testing standards are.

It's part of the academy in Ohio and the 1.5 mile time is actually 11:58, my initial thought of 12:30 was wrong. As academy we've been running twice a week between 2-5 miles each time and just pushing myself I've gotten to my goal. In February I ran it in 14 something not pushing hard enough, then after another month and a half I was at 12:40 and am currently at 12:10 and I have enough strength to get under 12 if I push just that little bit harder. The hardest part was building up my lower body and learning to cope with the pain.
    And the push-ups are 33/min, sit-ups are 40/min. I've passed both of these since day one, though.

Verified LEO
    Good job on the running time - breaking the 12 min should definitely not be a problem - obviously the drive and motivation is there to overcome the ugly pain and discomfort and then it gets easy !!!!

Yeah I'm confident I'll be passing it here in a few weeks. Less than 12 mins of discomfort is worth putting up with so I can start a career.

1*girl is offline Very possible academy start date in 2012!
    Quote Originally Posted by cfallsguy View Post
    The hardest part was building up my lower body and learning to cope with the pain.
    Just remember, everyone is in control of their own pain.

Just an update, had the pt test last week and passed everything including the run with a time of 11:40 for the 1.5 mile run. Not as low as I would've liked but I was somewhat sore from previous runs. And originally I posted that the time was 12:30 and didn't notice it but the actual time to be under was 11:58.

Verified LEO
    Congrats !!! Hope and trust things will continue to go well for you ......

Thread Information