Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    McCrackhd's Avatar
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-08-10
    Location
    Mobile (Original home of Mardi Gras)
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    456723

    Biggest college football rivalry

    The common consensus here in Alabama is that the Iron Bowl is the most heated intrastate rivalry in the nation. Case in point: It's common that when you meet a new person here you ask them 3 questions: Republican or Democrat, What church do you go to, and are you Auburn or Alabama? I can tell you that we do live it 365 here and there have even been shootings over the Iron Bowl. It has even been a source of divorce in this state for years.

    I would like some points of view on other in-state rivalries. Meaning not Ohio St-Mi, or Texas-Ok. Sorry, I just don't think that those are quite the same as living in a state with two major CFB teams that truly hate each other. I know that I was definately pulling for Oregon cause I did not want to see Auburn win.

  2. #2
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,374
    Rep Power
    4817857
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    The common consensus here in Alabama is that the Iron Bowl is the most heated intrastate rivalry in the nation. Case in point: It's common that when you meet a new person here you ask them 3 questions: Republican or Democrat, What church do you go to, and are you Auburn or Alabama? I can tell you that we do live it 365 here and there have even been shootings over the Iron Bowl. It has even been a source of divorce in this state for years.
    Now that is some rivalry. So how do people pick which team they want to ally themselves with? And is there a correlation between which team one allies with and whether one is a Republican or a Democrat or what church one attends?

  3. #3
    IMGreat101's Avatar
    IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    11-17-09
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    4,674
    Rep Power
    3969921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Now that is some rivalry. So how do people pick which team they want to ally themselves with? And is there a correlation between which team one allies with and whether one is a Republican or a Democrat or what church one attends?
    maybe it's the sauce?

    Alabama White Barbecue Sauce - Barbecue Sauce Recipe
    To Live Is To Eat

    IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

    And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

    We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

  4. #4
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,374
    Rep Power
    4817857
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    They probably throw that sauce on their rivals....

  5. #5
    McCrackhd's Avatar
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-08-10
    Location
    Mobile (Original home of Mardi Gras)
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    456723
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Now that is some rivalry. So how do people pick which team they want to ally themselves with? And is there a correlation between which team one allies with and whether one is a Republican or a Democrat or what church one attends?
    Usually it's all decided what fan base, demographic, and religion you are born into. In the end, it's all up to the individual. There is no corelation between the three, though. People from outside the state sometimes pick Bama because they are generally more well known. Others pick Auburn because they think Bama fans are cocky.

  6. #6
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    Texas-Ok
    glad to see you put it in the right order! Hook 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  7. #7
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    glad to see you put it in the right order! Hook 'em.
    Tha f@*# Get outta here.

  8. #8
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  9. #9
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,374
    Rep Power
    4817857
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    Usually it's all decided what fan base, demographic, and religion you are born into. In the end, it's all up to the individual. There is no corelation between the three, though. People from outside the state sometimes pick Bama because they are generally more well known. Others pick Auburn because they think Bama fans are cocky.
    So most people just ally themselves with the team their parents are allied with?

  10. #10
    pac201's Avatar
    pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-26-08
    Location
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Posts
    1,111
    Rep Power
    872608
    ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Job security...

    Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

  11. #11
    snuffy2202's Avatar
    snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-16-06
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,713
    Rep Power
    422662
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    So most people just ally themselves with the team their parents are allied with?
    Not necessarily. My family is split. We grew up as Alabama fans, but my younger brother went to Auburn with his best high school friend. My older brother and I still pull for Alabama, although we did not attend the University. There are many families that are split. I think that is why Alabama-Auburn is so heated.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

  12. #12
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,374
    Rep Power
    4817857
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Not necessarily. My family is split. We grew up as Alabama fans, but my younger brother went to Auburn with his best high school friend. My older brother and I still pull for Alabama, although we did not attend the University. There are many families that are split. I think that is why Alabama-Auburn is so heated.
    Must make for some fun food fights around the dinner table after a game!

  13. #13
    luckyme's Avatar
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-11-08
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    603608
    I'll see your:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

    and raise you a:


  14. #14
    irishmick's Avatar
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-12-08
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,226
    Rep Power
    1538982
    Here in Oregon, our football rivalry is definitely Oregon State and University of Oregon. However, when we were playing Auburn, even Oregon State was rooting for Univ. of Oregon...it's another home team and the fans are generous like that.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

    --Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

    --"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

  15. #15
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I'll see your:




    and raise you a:

    I fold. Wow. Grim bunch, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  16. #16
    luckyme's Avatar
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-11-08
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    603608
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I fold. Wow. Grim bunch, folks.
    I have to admit, I had to eat a bit of crow for making comments last year about 'bama's trophy touring the local wal-marts. Auburn's did it this year, it's part of Dr. Pepper's advertising.

  17. #17
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357018
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I have to admit, I had to eat a bit of crow for making comments last year about 'bama's trophy touring the local wal-marts. Auburn's did it this year, it's part of Dr. Pepper's advertising.
    At least you won't have to get teased for the next 57-60 years if history repeats itself.

    Oh and:


    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  18. #18
    Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-11-09
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    402298
    Ohio State-Michigan used to be the top rivalry ever.. It's still considered to be our biggest rival in Ohio, but I don't think Michigan cares anymore.. Really it hasn't been much of a game for so many years..

  19. #19
    dadyswat's Avatar
    dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-16-06
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    984
    Rep Power
    449917
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Ohio State-Michigan used to be the top rivalry ever.. It's still considered to be our biggest rival in Ohio, but I don't think Michigan cares anymore.. Really it hasn't been much of a game for so many years..

    I don't know Mike sounds like the new coach wants to make a go of it.

  20. #20
    Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-11-09
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    402298
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    I don't know Mike sounds like the new coach wants to make a go of it.
    Yawn..

    It'll take years to un-fuck the screw up that RichRod created..

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •