Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

surgeons are more likely to have suicidal thoughts and less likely to seek help than the general public

A study suggests medical errors, job burnout and depression lead surgeons to contemplate suicide at higher rates than the general public, and they're much less likely to seek help.

Fear of losing their jobs contributes to surgeons' reluctance to get mental health treatment, according to the study. Nearly 8,000 surgeons participated.

About 6 percent reported recent suicidal thoughts; the rate was 16 percent among those who'd made a recent major medical error although it wasn't known if that was the reason.

Only about one-fourth of those with suicidal thoughts said they'd sought professional mental health. By contrast, among the general population, about 3 percent have suicidal thoughts and 44 percent of them seek mental health treatment, other studies have shown.

"Surgeons reported a great deal of concern about potential repercussions for their license to practice medicine," and many admitted self-medicating with antidepressant drugs, said lead author Dr. Tait Shanafelt of the Mayo Clinic.
    More here: Study: Errors lead surgeons to contemplate suicide - KOLD News 13

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Every time I hear the word surgeon, I think of Weird Al running around in scrubs with a chainsaw.
    Drug Recognition Expert

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Joe View Post
    Every time I hear the word surgeon, I think of Weird Al running around in scrubs with a chainsaw.
    That song probably drove some of them to suicide!

Thread Information