Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO

Exercises for SWAT School

SWAT guys I need your assistance on this one. I am currently working out to lose weight in preperation to try and attend Basic SWAT school in the fall. I am doing pretty good on the cardio/weight loss part. It is time to actually start "working out".

I know what the entrance requirements for this school and am working on those now. What other exercises would help get me through the school? Anything different than the average exercises that can help ensure I make it all the way through the class?
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Lots of upper body work, especially push ups and chins.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Lots of upper body work, especially push ups and chins.

Yep, agreed. I find body weight/no rest circuit training works very well. PM me if you like, I have a bunch of such programs I use for work. I'd tend to stay away from training 'heavy' in the gym. Strength and high rep endurance stuff is where its at (in my opinion).
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1 View Post
    Yep, agreed. I find body weight/no rest circuit training works very well. PM me if you like, I have a bunch of such programs I use for work. I'd tend to stay away from training 'heavy' in the gym. Strength and high rep endurance stuff is where its at (in my opinion).
    PM sent.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    I'm not in SWAT or an officer, but I'd agree with Hawk1. Circuits are always a great workout and help with both cardio and to prepare for heavy lifting.

lilladycop is offline Rookie
    My SWAT school implemented ALOT of crossfit....alot of compound movements using the whole body at once. and lots and lots of running. i'm just a little thing. i stand about 5'1" on a good day. but most of the dudes who were in the school with me couldn't keep up with endurance. they were big guys who trained on isolation movements. so when it came to running with a huge wood pole over head it crushed them. however, trust me there's not much you can do to prepare somehow, someway you'll have a shortcoming. you can be in great shape but if your not mentally ready for that well then you'll probably end up "ringing the bell". and if you're in great shape and you shoot perfectly and your room entries are on point they have to find a flaw somewhere. so good luck! it's intense and a lot of fun.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lilladycop View Post
    My SWAT school implemented ALOT of crossfit....alot of compound movements using the whole body at once. and lots and lots of running. i'm just a little thing. i stand about 5'1" on a good day. but most of the dudes who were in the school with me couldn't keep up with endurance. they were big guys who trained on isolation movements. so when it came to running with a huge wood pole over head it crushed them. however, trust me there's not much you can do to prepare somehow, someway you'll have a shortcoming. you can be in great shape but if your not mentally ready for that well then you'll probably end up "ringing the bell". and if you're in great shape and you shoot perfectly and your room entries are on point they have to find a flaw somewhere. so good luck! it's intense and a lot of fun.
    Sent you a PM on getting verified.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I trained for strength before I went to Rural SWAT... wish I had incorporated more cardio. We focused alot of our training on recon missions through wooded terrain, which involved alot of low crawling through the woods. After about a mile of that, we would had to do entries to all the out buildings of a farm.

Strength is great for short missions, but if you do stairs or anything long, cadio makes all the difference. I would train with a 40 lbs weight vest at minimum, to simulate armor and gear. Work on upper body so you can hold your weapon at the ready as long as necessary. Thats my two cents.

Thread Information