Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Unemployed, uninsured man dies from toothache because he couldn't afford dental care or antibiotics

According to NBC affiliate WLWT, Kyle Willis' wisdom tooth started hurting two weeks ago. When dentists told him it needed to be pulled, he decided to forgo the procedure, because he was unemployed and had no health insurance.

When his face started swelling and his head began to ache, Willis went to the emergency room, where he received prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medications. Willis couldn't afford both, so he chose the pain medications.

The tooth infection spread, causing his brain to swell. He died Tuesday.
    More here: Without Insurance, 24-year-old Dies of Toothache - ABC News

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    One of the life saving devices in my signature line would have saved his. Two if you're clever about it.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Lifes a bitch
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sounds to me this is more a case of poor decision making and poor education from the medical staff.

He could only afford one of his prescriptions, and he chose pain medication (common sense would dictate that pain medication will only mask the underlying problem temporarily). Had he chosen antibiotics, this article probably never would have been written.

The article tries to portray him as a poor victim of American healthcare. Not only did he go to the dentist AND the Emergency Room, he had access to antibiotics that HE chose not to get.

I don't even go to the dentist. I don't have dental insurance!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nothing more than a flag waving article I'm afraid. Jmur hit the nail right on the head. Pain medication hunh? I wonder if he had a habit?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Sounds to me this is more a case of poor decision making and poor education from the medical staff.

He could only afford one of his prescriptions, and he chose pain medication (common sense would dictate that pain medication will only mask the underlying problem temporarily). Had he chosen antibiotics, this article probably never would have been written.

The article tries to portray him as a poor victim of American healthcare. Not only did he go to the dentist AND the Emergency Room, he had access to antibiotics that HE chose not to get.

I don't even go to the dentist. I don't have dental insurance!
    This. He chose comfort over taking care of the problem. And he paid for his choice.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No sympathy here. It was his decision to not get the procedure or antibiotics. The headline is one of the poorest attempts at spin I've seen.

No smart enough to make a decision or had a habit he didn't want to put on hold for proper medication? Sounds like a fine example of darwinism. Next.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I find it very hard to feel sympathetic for stupidity.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer
    I hear that one all the time... Too bad it never works! You don't get the pain meds from me unless you get the antibiotic. Antibiotic too expensive..? I can usually get that changed if you're sincere. Dittos on Pudge for darwinism.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He killed himself.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmer View Post
    I hear that one all the time... Too bad it never works! You don't get the pain meds from me unless you get the antibiotic. Antibiotic too expensive..? I can usually get that changed if you're sincere. Dittos on Pudge for darwinism.
    My mother in law got a several hundred dollar prescription dropped down to literally a couple of bucks, when the pharmacy and the manufacturer got together and agreed she couldn't afford it. I'm sure there are limits to how often they can do this or how many people they can help, but I bet they figure the publicity/advertising value and tax write off balances the cost to a certain point.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information