Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cfallsguy is offline Rookie

How do you stay in shape?

I'm curious what some of you do outside of work to stay in shape either at home or taking some type of classes (boxing, karate, etc.). I'm looking at getting into a program to give me something to do and also give me some good training that could possibly help me out once I land a job. So, any ideas?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I hit the weight room hard at least two days a week, sometimes 3 for at least an hour. Now that the weather is cooling off I've started hiking in the local state park. I've quickly learned that you cannot out exercise what I eat. Watching what I eat is the key for me. It has caused me to lose more fat and inches than weight. I'll post a link to a youtube subcription that I use at home for in between exercises when I get off.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thirdwatch is offline Guardian between peace and peril
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I get up a few hours before work and I hit the weight room for at least 45 minutes approx 4 days a week. Then some days I add in cardio in the mix and go for a couple mile run*With running try to limit your sessions to 30-45 minutes if you are trying to add muscle mass because after that much time you will begin to burn muscle mass*. At first it's hard to push your self and to get a routine down. Monday day I concentrate my lifting on my chest "Kill the chest" the next day is leg day same concept, then wed is shoulder,arms and traps day, and finally Thursday is back day. It's all mental and you got to tell yourself you can do it. I use some motivation for doing the best I can for physical fitness which is in my mind somebody starts the fight and I am going to finish the fight so I can go home. A recommendation for weight lifters is using 100% pure glutamine powder before and after you work out. Glutamine powder helps fuel recovery and take muscle pain away a great deal. It is also best to mix Glutamine powder in a sport drink, protein shake, or other favorite beverage. I would shy away mixing it with water because its not taste friendly.
    Last edited by Thirdwatch; 09-24-11 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add extra info

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I spend all day chasing the little woman trying to get some
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I eat everything I can. Cheeseburgers, pizzas, french fries, hot dogs... Constantly. I'm in great shape. Round is a shape.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I eat everything I can. Cheeseburgers, pizzas, french fries, hot dogs... Constantly. I'm in great shape. Round is a shape.

Alas, true for me too. Having turned office dweller has not been good to me.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cfallsguy View Post
    I'm curious what some of you do outside of work to stay in shape either at home or taking some type of classes (boxing, karate, etc.). I'm looking at getting into a program to give me something to do and also give me some good training that could possibly help me out once I land a job. So, any ideas?
    Strength training combined with cardio at least 3 to 4 days a week (basically, days off, I work out). I train and teach martial arts, as well.

I strongly encourage you to do something to increase, expand, and add to your defensive skills; you owe it to yourself, your loved ones, and your partners. Part of that is conditioning and fitness. Part of it is skill development. Just be picky and careful about what you train in. You don't want a place that's going to put all the emphasis on sports at the expense of functional skills you need. That applies also to general conditioning work. You don't need a perfectly symmetrical wide V back like a body builder. You need to be able to generate enough force and push to move a car when you need to get it out of the road. Or to move a dumbass bad guy when he needs to be moved.

Check out Budo Blog; he's covered these needs in depth if you read through his blogs.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    No, no, no.

You're not round. You're not obese. You're optimized for carrying gear on your duty belt!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I keep my shape by eating whatever the hell I want, sitting in a recliner and watching a lot of TV, and maintaining my Zen through reading cop and gun books. It's worked for over half a century!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I do P90X...I finished my latest round 2 weeks ago and I'm starting Insanity tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I'm starting Insanity tomorrow
    :sheep:

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I second P90X...and I also do Krav Maga. Awesome workout.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I do a pretty standard work out in the weight room. I really wish I could sustain a substantial cardio routine. For whatever reason I've never been able to develop the wind for it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    12 oz arm curls,

rwittyipso is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Three days a week i hit the weight room just trying to stay in shape or get in shape not worried about being all bulky. The days i lift and dont lift i get in at least thirty minutes of cardio.
    I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hell followed with him.

APB Guest
    Bike to the day job and back (12 miles total) every day I can for cardio/legs. Do other home workout stuff.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    :sheep:

that is no lie...it is kicking my tail through 2 days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    that is no lie...it is kicking my tail through 2 days...
    Hence the term "Insanity"....

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    I have a four day workweek. I do some sort of skills practice or workout for about an hour before work every day. Day one is supposed to be at the shooting range, but ends up at the coffee shop about half the time. I'm more religious about the other days, though. One day of lifting, one day of running, and one day of Koga practice. If I show up early on Koga days then I'll either lift for a while or do a sprinting workout.

After work, I lift for 30-60 minutes on most days (I might take "Friday" off).

I try to do more on my weekends, but I usually end up with one random workout and two days off.

I've started watching my diet lately. I try to eat a lot of meats and vegetables, and stay away from grains and anything too sugary most of the time. Except that I have a weakness for corn chips.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    Right now I'm on a great weight loss plan......its called Cancer. I know that might sound wrong but If feel that if you can't make light of the situation you are loosing the battle. Prior to my diagnosis I was doing P90x but I have found that my energy level is just not up to it. I get my work out by chasing my kids around and doing a good bit of walking. My eating habits have also changed a bit leaning more to the healthy choices. The one thing I miss is a good fresh salad. I cant eat fresh veggies ( even well cleaned ) due to the chance of bacteria.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information