Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO

It was time to lose some weight.

I'm 43 - going on 44. Last Christmas I finally acepted the fact that despite going to the gym two or three times a week I had lost the battle of the bulge. I was pushing 250lbs and my blood pressure was in the danger zone. My waist had swelled to 44 inches, nothing fit right, my back bothered me ect. ect.

So right after the holidays I joined the local YMCA. Mainly because the Y has elipitical machines (which work for me the way running used to - before my bad back and no longer being able to run) . Started going three to four times a week, increased my cardio, cut back on sweets, ice cream ect and so on and so forth. By August I was down to 230. Not bad.

In August I decided to try the eat four to five small meals every three to four hours. Not so much on my days off, but when I'm on duty. It worked.

I'm now down to 210. My waist has shrunk to 37 inches and I'm wearing the equipment belt that I was wearing when I was hired eleven years ago. Only it fits better now.

My doc is happy as well. Blood pressure is normal, resting heart beat in the mid 60's and so on.

I'm done with where I was. I still eat bad stuff only not all the time. Last night (for example) I ate a humburger from Carl's Jr. Boy it was good! But today I'm serious again.

It can be done. My back isn't bothering me as much, my wife says I've stopped snoring at night and the last couple suspects I took to jail didn't call me a fat ass. They just called me a "fucking asshole". Hey there is no greater compliment.

No secret formula. Not vanity at my age, hoplessly married and balding. Honestly I was partially motivated by fear guys. But fear can be useful if you make it work for you.

Anyhow that's my MOTIVATIONAL STORY.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That is an awesome story! It is also something I need to work on.

My customers will always call me a f*ing a*hole tho
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Great work! :sheep:

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post

the last couple suspects I took to jail didn't call me a fat ass. They just called me a "fucking asshole". Hey there is no greater compliment.

Congratulations on the healthier you!
    Arm the sheep!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good on ya!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Been easing my way back into the gym myself after a torn tendon. Congrats!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Nice job! I made the same decision a few months back and it sucks not being able to eat that burger anytime I want it, but it is a great feeling having lost 27 lbs since September.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    Thanks guys.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I was going to get back in the gym myself today after 2 weeks off... that is until I fell on the icy roads last night and messed up my shoulder. Its been a rough 5 days. First I get bit by a dog, then fall on some ice... at least it was on duty I guess. And good job on the weigtloss. The gym was always easy for me, the foods was always the hard part. Speaking of, how did you eat healthy on duty? Did you take food with you or eat that leafy crap they sell next to the apples?

Verified LEO
    The local hospital provides food for EMs, firefighters and cops. The food is a mix of healthy and junk. Your choice. I get the salads and canned fat free tuna salad w/fat free whole wheat crackers and fruit and once in awhile one of the turkey or low fat ham sandwiches. I don't put salad dressing on the salads and avoid putting the mayonise on the sandwich.

When I go to the local coffee shop I get a cappucino made with skim milk and no syrup flavors or sugar. The one thing that has really helped me out is going to the small meals every three to four hours. I tend not to get as hungry plus I've read that when you eat small meals on that type of schedule your body is kept busy burning the calories so you ramp up your metabolism.

No fad diets or pre-packaged meals ala Jenny Craig. I've done to many fad diets over the years - especially when I was in the Army and was always being hounded about my weight. The weight always comes back and then some. I'm short and stocky so the weight will always be an issue, but like I posted earlier this time I got scared. It helps. The vanity stuff is nice of course, but this time it really is secondary.

But I'm not a fanatic. Last night (after a good day) my wife made sausage, scrambled eggs and home potatoes for dinner. I had one serving, no cheese on the eggs or potatoes and dry toast. For desert I had two sugar cookies and called it good.

I go to the Y three to four times a week.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Congratulations, Checkman!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The tastiest calories, like youth, are wasted on the young. If they only knew... nope, I won''t be telling them either, not that they'd listen.

Well done, Checkman.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    The tastiest calories, like youth, are wasted on the young. If they only knew... nope, I won''t be telling them either, not that they'd listen.

Well done, Checkman.
    No I wouldn't have listened either.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    The gym was always easy for me, the foods was always the hard part. Speaking of, how did you eat healthy on duty? Did you take food with you or eat that leafy crap they sell next to the apples?
    I've read that diet has a much more pronounced effect on health & fitness than exercise does. Exercise is a lot more fun that diet, though.

On the other hand, that leafy crap is pretty good with salsa.

Verified LEO
    never tried it with salsa... I have some homemade stuff my parents make and its awesome. Maybe I will try that.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    awesome job! keep up the good work!
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    When people ask me what happened to me... I tell them I got hired to be Santa at the mall this year.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Always been fat, will always be fat! That's just the way I roll!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    When people ask me what happened to me... I tell them I got hired to be Santa at the mall this year.

Hey Big, I just met a couple of Deputies from your department doing a prison transport. They told me you got that nice truck because you were too big and kept breaking the Crown Vics!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Hahaha!!! yup... I broke the steal welds in my cage, the seat, armrest, and a few other things in the old Crown vic. I wonder which guys you ran in to... Was is Duane and Kevin? tall old guy, shorter older guy with glasses? Those two are like some cars... They're classics LOL.

Duane is from a different era... I hear stories all the time about when he was a road deputy. Guys would borrow his car and when they popped the trunk it would be full of various beaver, otter, fox traps and sometimes a fishing rod. LOL...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information