Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Serious health concern

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Serious health concern

So I've finally started eating right and losing weight. Yay me. I noticed recently that I seem to be getting more spontaneous nosebleeds than normal - normal being maybe one every other year, this winter I've had 4. I seem to be getting headaches pretty easy too, and a dizzy spell every couple of days. I hunted up a blood pressure cuff and did a couple readings. It's not good. According to the readings, I've basically got stage 2 hypertension. And that's at total rest, nearly asleep. I'm scared and will be making a doc's appointment as soon as I can. I picked up some water pills for the meantime and am scrutinizing the sodium content of everything. With my current blood pressure levels, even being under 40 I could easily have a stroke or heart attack if I have a moderate spike.

I don't want to die. I'm not done yet.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Good for you for noticing something wasn't right. Losing weight, eating right and exercising-all that you are doing will help immensely if you do have high blood pressure. Hope the doctor visit goes well. Let me know. Don't worry-you are taking charge.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    Good for you for noticing something wasn't right. Losing weight, eating right and exercising-all that you are doing will help immensely if you do have high blood pressure. Hope the doctor visit goes well. Let me know. Don't worry-you are taking charge.
    +1

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Yikes! Hope you get the blood pressure down soon.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ducky -- by any chance, does your new eating regimen include new foods that have soy in them? Tofu/some 'high protein cereals,' vitamins for women, etc?
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    Ducky -- by any chance, does your new eating regimen include new foods that have soy in them? Tofu/some 'high protein cereals,' vitamins for women, etc?
    I've been indulging in tofu smoothies for breakfast and snacks. Silken tofu, low fat yogurt, and fruit.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Dr. IMG says you will be fine. Ask your Dr. about stroke screening. This should check the carotids, abdominal aorta and a PAD check. You will most likely be given kudos for the weight loss and be put on something like lisinopril and verapimil. A low dose aspirin at bed time helps too.

Write down all questions before going to your appt.

Also, red wine is good. With sharp cheddar cheese and wheat crackers.

...in moderation, of course
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Knowing is half the battle with blood pressure. You've got a good gameplan. Prayers headed your way.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I've been indulging in tofu smoothies for breakfast and snacks. Silken tofu, low fat yogurt, and fruit.
    You may want to stay away from them for a few days and see if that has any impact on your headaches... phytoestrogens are good for some, but not so good for those of us who may be sensitive.
    Arm the sheep!

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Go to your doctor and ask for a complete blood count (CBC). Have the doc go over the results with you. PM me if you have questions.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I managed to get my blood pressure down by 40 points systolic, 30 diastolic. The highest reading I had was 204/134. Now I'm down to 157/104. Still way high but that was after only a few days. As near as I can tell it was because I don't drink enough fluids. Normal, sudden dehydration can cause low blood pressure, that's a known fact. Long term, chronic dehydration, like when you regularly don't drink enough water, can raise your blood pressure by basically thickening your blood and increasing your blood volume. It's something that the medical community at large doesn't really talk about for some screwed up reason. I started drinking water in the quantity I'm supposed to. My blood pressure started dropping within the first day, and in the within two days showed a significant drop. I think if I keep up with the water I'll be ok.

Ironic thing is typically the first thing docs want to prescribe for high blood pressure is a diuretic. In my case it would have made things worse.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Glad your blood pressure is down! Keep drinking water!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Git it done Ducky.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Good for you taking control of your health and life style. As a survivor of a near fatal heart attack, at 43 I regret not recognizing my piss poor life style choices (smoking & drinking too much,) not nearly enough exercise and poor eating habits. Keep up your GOOD choices!!
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Water is so important in so many ways, having plenty of water increases brain effectiveness as well
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Water is so important in so many ways, having plenty of water increases brain effectiveness as well
    Oh dear. You mean my CPU needs to be water cooled? And all this time I thought I needed an OS upgrade...
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!
    Arm the sheep!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I am VERY glad that you're doing better and that you saw a doctor right away instead of simply taking your self-prescribed diuretic.

Keep taking care of yourself, Duckylicious. Get those numbers down even more.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, doc wasn't thrilled enough with my progress. I'm on a beta blocker now. She seems to think I may be one of those lucky few who have a genetic predisposition to developing high blood pressure early in life. So far so good on the blocker as far as not having any negative side effects. I'm feeling really good, no more nosebleeds or headaches. The goal is to get me down to 120/80 as opposed to my in office reading of 157/110.
    lewisipso likes this.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No more nose bleeds is good! (You didn't happen to trim your fingernails, did you? just askin' is all!)
    pgg likes this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information