Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ducky

Thread: Britain's one-eyed robot Olympic mascots: cute or creepy?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Britain's one-eyed robot Olympic mascots: cute or creepy?

They are of course London 2012's Olympic and Paralympic mascots -- Wenlock and Mandeville. And with the Games just days away you'd better get used to seeing a whole lot more of that giant eyeball.

With their metallic bodies, built-in cameras and sci-fi genetics, it's an ambitious design aimed at the digital age.

But does it work? Are these otherworldly creatures the cutting edge of design or just plain creepy?

Some adults aren't so convinced. When Wenlock figurines dressed in police uniforms appeared on Amazon, quick-witted reviewers saw it as an opportunity to deride the "creepy" toy.
    "I bought this product amidst my keenness for the Games of the XXX Olympiad," one reviewer posted.
    "However when it arrived it knocked down the door in a raid, pinned me down and falsely arrested me for conspiring a bomb plot for mass murder during this summer's sporting events."
    More here: Olympic mascots: Cute or creepy? - CNN.com

London, the premiere panoptic city was one of the first to blanket itself with CCTV cameras; its heavy security and surveillance cordon is nicknamed the Ring of Steel. London decided to make its surveillance yen a dominant feature of its otherwise goofy mascots. “Wenlock” and “Mandeville” both have a huge single eye made out of a camera lens so that they can “record everything.” Image at right is from the official London Olympics website.
    In case that’s too subtle for you, the Olympic organizers have offered a dress-up version of Wenlock in a policeman outfit.

More here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...ds-everything/

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Yep, aren't they pathetic.?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Looks like a big toe. Or Plankton from Spongebob Squarepants.
    Buttercup, Jenna and Xiphos like this.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hopefully not from the same designer of the Edinburgh Marathon medals, though we may never know unless a mascot takes off its hat.

Thread Information