Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Odd

Thread: Jury decides doctor wasn't to blame for woman catching fire during caesarian section

  1. #1
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,366
    Rep Power
    4817856

    Jury decides doctor wasn't to blame for woman catching fire during caesarian section

    A jury has decided that a Syracuse doctor isn't to blame for an operating-room mishap that caused a pregnant woman to catch fire during a cesarean section delivery.
    Kira Reed suffered a 7-inch-long burn on her side two years ago when an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to her skin was accidentally ignited by a medical device. The fire was out quickly and her baby was fine, but she sued over the injury.

  2. #2
    keith720's Avatar
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-06-06
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,364
    Rep Power
    5488745
    Yet McDonalds was sued for a fortune when some old womans leathery crotch was burned by a cup of hot coffee a few years ago! Go figure!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

    Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,720
    Rep Power
    6936011
    In other news...apparently you can catch fire during a C section. Who knew?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  4. #4
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    10-08-08
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    2508662
    I call BS on both lawsuits.

    Alcohol fire on skin is fairly benign. The alcohol burns above the surface of the skin and the heat rises. Fire eaters rely heavily on this particular aspect of physics. Slather your palm with antiseptic alcohol, light it up - it looks knarly and your hand gets warm, but that's it. If it's a thin layer it exhausts itself before the combustion layer radiant transfer can do more than warm the skin, if there's a pool it acts as additional buffer - other dangers there. (flinging on hair, drapes, etc porous materials) The article mentions on her sides, and that's to be expected as then the heat is rising parallel to the skin and it is heated more. Get a first degree burn easily this way, not much more unless the nurses were enjoying the show.
    lewisipso likes this.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •