Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Any cyclists?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Any cyclists?

Hey guys,

Is anyone here into cycling of any sort? I've been kicking it around for the last while and have decided to get in to it. I used to love riding a bike back I'm the day for hours on end, and seriously need to get in to some good cardio routines that I'll actually enjoy.

Our local bike shop has been great with advice, answering tons of questions from me almost daily. I'm not confident enough to go for a full blown road race bike, but don't want a hybrid that I'll end up selling in 6 months because I want a road bike. I've picked out a cyclo cross bike instead. From what I've seen, read, and tried it looks to be a nice platform for me as a bit of an all around road bike (with a little wider tires) that I can feel confident with on less than favorable back roads.

Who likes to ride? What'ya ride? How often?

ETA: NO.....I will not be sporting spandex, so no Pudge shaming pics here.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I used to do alot of mountain bike riding. Need to do it again. And no I don't wear girly clothing either.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I used to do alot of mountain bike riding. Need to do it again. And no I don't wear girly clothing either.
    Me, too. Haven't ridden as much due to work and family -- but rode a bit more this summer with my son.

A cyclocross bike is a good hybrid; it's a mountain bike with a little more roadie stuff to it because it's meant to be carried at times. Personally, I still ride a true MB, hardtail. You don't need the newest, fanciest stuff -- but you DO NEED A HELMET!

Get to know your Local Bike Store (LBS). If they get to know you reasonably, they'll steer you straight. And they can probably hook you up with some local rider groups, like MORE in the DC area. These groups set up rides and are great resources...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Mrs. 720 and I like to go bike riding in the summer. Nothing major, just a few miles here and there. There's a lot of abandonded railroad tracks that have been converted to bike trails in our area. She has a 21 speed Schwin and I have a 21 speed large frame Trek.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I try and ride a stationary bike twice a week. I don't ride publicly since many people know me and will stop me.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Me, too. Haven't ridden as much due to work and family -- but rode a bit more this summer with my son.

A cyclocross bike is a good hybrid; it's a mountain bike with a little more roadie stuff to it because it's meant to be carried at times. Personally, I still ride a true MB, hardtail. You don't need the newest, fanciest stuff -- but you DO NEED A HELMET!

Get to know your Local Bike Store (LBS). If they get to know you reasonably, they'll steer you straight. And they can probably hook you up with some local rider groups, like MORE in the DC area. These groups set up rides and are great resources...
    Thanks for the advice.

I bought a bike today, but not a cyclocross bike. One of my many friends who ride just picked up a new bike and made me a deal I couldn't refuse on his Trek Pilot road bike. He left his computer and other accessories on it, I just need to take it to the bike shop to get it fit to me. We're the same size, so it worked out quite well. And I saved a ton of cash that I can put towards other stuff.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    . And I saved a ton of cash that I can put towards other stuff.
    Like spandex...

Sounds like a decent bike, and better deal. Just remember -- road bikes are ROAD bikes; they aren't made for much more than smooth, firm packed gravel. Probably just fine for what you're looking for, though.

And -- if you get into it, bikes are kind of like guns or cell phones. You'll always find an excuse for just one more bike, or upgrading to something new...
    Pudge likes this.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    You laugh about spandex..... But I would recommend some sort of under armor underwear. Trust me!

I have a Trek 4500 and Am very happy with it. I love the fact that i can ride both road and off road.

The #1 accessory I have is my shoes and Pedal. I have something like this.

Exustar SM333K Carbon MTB Shoe - Mountain Bike Shoes
    YS-SM333-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

Crank Brothers Candy 2 Pedals - Normal Shipping Ground
    CB-CD2-N-ANGLE.jpg
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Sorry those pictures were so big. LOL I would also recommend a good hydration pack. Get one that is big enough to carry a small gun that is what I did!
    Pudge likes this.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Sorry those pictures were so big. LOL I would also recommend a good hydration pack. Get one that is big enough to carry a small gun that is what I did!
    Sweet. I actually have a Pro Deal through Promotive with Crank Bros. I was looking at gear there last night.

Sounds like there are some riding trips in our future. I want to start my local chapter of the fat boy cycling club.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Kind of keith to lend me his bike

the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Verified LEO
    Found out this year that I can't get away with cross trainers or the like for riding anymore... Aggravated the hell out of my plantars fascitis. Got a pair of Specialized bike shoes designed to let you walk a bit with reasonable comfort (I think these:Specialized Bicycle Components) that would also work on the occasions I get to ride on duty.
    Pudge likes this.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    I ride at work a good bit when it's not so hot. Trek 4300 MB I know you said no spandex, but I highly recommend some padded biking shorts, then some regular shorts over them. People can't tell your wearing them, but they help a lot.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I ride at work a good bit when it's not so hot. Trek 4300 MB I know you said no spandex, but I highly recommend some padded biking shorts, then some regular shorts over them. People can't tell your wearing them, but they help a lot.
    Thanks. I did pick up some padded shorts to wear under other shorts or pants.

I'm glad I caught a deal on my buddy's bike. I went to the bike shop for a few accessories last night. It wasn't cheap and I still go back tomorrow for a few things and to get the bike fit. I plan on a short ride tomorrow when I'm done. I'm stoked.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    After getting the bike fit today, I took it for a spin on our local Rails to Trails section. I rode from our town to the next town north and back. All in all a little over nine miles. I learned a couple of things.

1. I need more padding on my arse.
    2. I can run over and through a lot more things than I originally worried about.
    3. Confidence gained in #2 goes out the window when you have to dodge a moving groundhog.
    lewisipso likes this.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A few more rides under my belt. I'm liking this so far. Rode a little over ten last Sunday, but due to work couldn't get back on until today. Thought I'd be slick and ride the trail to a meeting. I got about a mile from the meeting and got a flat. Had to laugh at myself when I had to call my mom to pick me up and run me back to my truck. Got it fixed up after the meeting and rode about 10.5 before the sun went down. This is getting easier each time. Can't wait to push more miles out.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    A few more rides under my belt. I'm liking this so far. Rode a little over ten last Sunday, but due to work couldn't get back on until today. Thought I'd be slick and ride the trail to a meeting. I got about a mile from the meeting and got a flat. Had to laugh at myself when I had to call my mom to pick me up and run me back to my truck. Got it fixed up after the meeting and rode about 10.5 before the sun went down. This is getting easier each time. Can't wait to push more miles out.
    And your lesson from having to call mom is...

Carry a spare tube and/or flat kit, with the appropriate equipment to get it back on 2 wheels!

Glad you're enjoying the bike.
    Pudge likes this.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mommy!!!!
    Pudge likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    I've only gotten one flat so far, but it was while responding to a burglary alarm at the university president's house.

As for your list, #2 was also a big one for me. Take some small stairs. Once you get the hang of it, it will really give you more confidence/skills on trail rides. Just remember to lean back and stay off the front brake.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I've only gotten one flat so far, but it was while responding to a burglary alarm at the university president's house.

As for your list, #2 was also a big one for me. Take some small stairs. Once you get the hang of it, it will really give you more confidence/skills on trail rides. Just remember to lean back and stay off the front brake.
    I was a BMX'er back in the day. Stairs don't bother me on a Mountain Bike for work, but I'm not sure I'll be trying them on my road bike.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information