• 1 Post By Pudge
  • 1 Post By Checkman
  • 1 Post By Buttercup

Thread: Making changes

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Making changes

So, due to a flood of many different reasons, I made the decision to get back in to the swing of things and start getting back in shape. I never really was much of a runner, and several guys I work with are in to cycling. In October of 2012 I picked up my first road bike and started hitting the local "Rails to Trails" recreational trail system since I lacked the confidence to ride the roads and hills. My first ride was 9 miles that made me question my recent purchases, and pissed off my taint to no end. In May, I had the confidence to hit the hills and roads with my friends. On top of the 4 days a week I had been riding solo, we rode every Sunday as a group, building miles and challenging courses. I watched the gains in speed and endurance come almost weekly as we trained to ride a local breast cancer fundraising ride. Of the 3 route options available, we went with the big dog...the century. 100 miles of blood, sweat, and gears. Ten months after going for that first 9 miles, I rolled in to the finish at 102.3 miles after almost seven hours on the bike. We continued to ride until the weather got too tricky, when some of us mounted our bikes on the indoor trainers to get our fix. I found one of two new addictions. (And yes, RSA....I WILL ride the Police Unity Tour with you, but unfortunately its not going to happen in 14)

The same animals I ride with are also avid crossfitters. I'd watched them go through their paces before and thought they were insane, and read the old posts here thinking I could never do it, but this was before I had made the decision to change myself. Last week, I bit the bullet and hit my first session. One week later, i'm six workouts in, hurting like i've never hurt before, and loving every twisted second of the pain, camaraderie, and accomplishment. I need more core and upper body strength and I think addiction number two is going to get me there.

I'm not posting this to brag, but more to keep myself accountable. The 50ish lbs i've dropped to 214, and my academy duty belt help, but I want to keep pushing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Jenna, Cidp24, Checkman and 3 others like this.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    That's great! Keep at it!

213th is offline Solipsist
    Awesome Pudge! (Are you going to change your name now?) If you want, I would be happy to share a few tools I used as I too have been losing weight.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Excellent job. Keep it up.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Awesome Pudge! (Are you going to change your name now?) If you want, I would be happy to share a few tools I used as I too have been losing weight.
    I'm always gonna be Pudge. Lol.

I'll take anything you've got!

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Excellent job. Keep it up.
    Thank ya, sir!

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Three years ago I was coming up on 43 and I was weighing in at 255 lbs. I was still working out, but I hadn't changed my eating habits and my metabolism had changed on me. I had a 44 inch waist and high blood pressure. Suspects were very willing to take me on and I found myself getting into more and more hands on scuffles. Looking at photos of myself I can see why. I looked terrible. I had even noticed that several of my fellow officers had become hostile towards me and I was told that some officers were telling newer officers to hope that I didn't come to help them in a bad situation because I would probably drop dead on them. It was bad. When I was hired in 2000 I was heavy. Probably tipped the scale at 225. But I just kept putting on the weight. Finally made changes. Changed the way I eat. Stopped drinking beer. Got into swimming, elliptical workouts and the rowing machine. I'm now down to 177 lbs. I have a 33 inch waist instead of a 44 inch waist and my wife says I'm actually leaner now then I was when we met in 1988 and I was 20 years old. Suspects don't seem to want to fight me anymore. My blood pressure is down and the hostility at work has evaporated. I actually look good in my uniforms now and I'm sleeping better. It's a good thing to make changes like that.

The biggest thing has been my health. Last July (2013) I had to have major surgery and the doctor had to open up my abdominal area to get in. He made a 9 inch incision on my left side.I was on the table for almost three hours. I was in the hospital for three days and four nights. But my surgery was uneventful, my recovery was textbook and I have had no complications. The surgery was July 10th and I was back to work on August 30th. The doctor told me (he's a urologist. he's treated me since 2000.) that if it had been a few years earlier when I was much bigger I probably would have had some issues, but not now. In my opinion that's a major reason to make some changes. Now some photos.

Me in December of 2002. Probably weighed between 225 and 230.

Me in March of 2011. I had begun my program two months earlier by this time. I had lost about five lbs and I was already feeling better. I was at (approximately) 250 lbs.Believe it or not. Still had a way to to go.

March 2013. Down to 172 at this time. I have since gone up five pounds, but my waist hasn't. What a change.
    Pudge and Jenna like this.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Congratulations!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Verified LEO
    Thanks. It's been worth it. Hell I actually like eating salads without any dressing now and I've become very fond of fruit and nuts. Didn't give up coffee though. Some things just can't be given up.
    Buttercup and Jenna like this.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    And on top of all that, you look happy.

Congrats and keep on keepin' on.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Congratulations!

Verified LEO
    Also my hairline has receded. Stuff is just getting smaller all over!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The retreat has sounded here as well. If my head didn't look like the surface of the moon I'd shave it bald.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    Three years ago I was coming up on 43 and I was weighing in at 255 lbs. I was still working out, but I hadn't changed my eating habits and my metabolism had changed on me. I had a 44 inch waist and high blood pressure. Suspects were very willing to take me on and I found myself getting into more and more hands on scuffles. Looking at photos of myself I can see why. I looked terrible. I had even noticed that several of my fellow officers had become hostile towards me and I was told that some officers were telling newer officers to hope that I didn't come to help them in a bad situation because I would probably drop dead on them. It was bad. When I was hired in 2000 I was heavy. Probably tipped the scale at 225. But I just kept putting on the weight. Finally made changes. Changed the way I eat. Stopped drinking beer. Got into swimming, elliptical workouts and the rowing machine. I'm now down to 177 lbs. I have a 33 inch waist instead of a 44 inch waist and my wife says I'm actually leaner now then I was when we met in 1988 and I was 20 years old. Suspects don't seem to want to fight me anymore. My blood pressure is down and the hostility at work has evaporated. I actually look good in my uniforms now and I'm sleeping better. It's a good thing to make changes like that.

The biggest thing has been my health. Last July (2013) I had to have major surgery and the doctor had to open up my abdominal area to get in. He made a 9 inch incision on my left side.I was on the table for almost three hours. I was in the hospital for three days and four nights. But my surgery was uneventful, my recovery was textbook and I have had no complications. The surgery was July 10th and I was back to work on August 30th. The doctor told me (he's a urologist. he's treated me since 2000.) that if it had been a few years earlier when I was much bigger I probably would have had some issues, but not now. In my opinion that's a major reason to make some changes. Now some photos.

Me in December of 2002. Probably weighed between 225 and 230.

Me in March of 2011. I had begun my program two months earlier by this time. I had lost about five lbs and I was already feeling better. I was at (approximately) 250 lbs.Believe it or not. Still had a way to to go.

March 2013. Down to 172 at this time. I have since gone up five pounds, but my waist hasn't. What a change.
    Awesome work!

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Glad to see this post come back up, thanks to Checkman.

I'm still hitting Crossfit hardcore (maybe even too much at times, forcing myself to take a rest day here and there isn't easy) and loving it. I haven't been on my indoor spin trainer for the bike in quite a while, but 5,6, and even 7 days hammering the variations and intensity of our WODs (workouts of the day) seem to be doing just fine for my cardio fix.

I refuse to get on scales, but clothes and belts are still getting bigger. I definitely don't want to give myself a complex with the numbers, especially since I know i've been putting on muscle.

Buttercup likes this.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    I like to hit it pretty hard for 40 - 50 minutes at a time. Today I swam laps for 20 minutes and then worked out on the rower for twenty minutes and finished with 150 push-ups.
    Pudge likes this.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Congratulations to both of you!
    Tango Zulu 22 likes this.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The only thing getting thin on me is my hair!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information