Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should the drinking age be lowered?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Drop it to 18. Old enough to join the military, old enough to drink!

    27 33.33%
  • No.

    46 56.79%
  • Eliminate it entirely, let bars and stores decide who to sell to.

    8 9.88%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 99
  1. #21
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Nope. If you're stupid enough to underage drink, then you deserve to be "hassled"- by the police if not your parents or peers.

    Many studies have shown that in many young adults, the brain is still developing as far as your mid-20s.

    I think young adults, before they are old enough to drink, understand the importance of moderation. The 18-21 year gap will give the chance to see their older friends drink and see what happens when you do drink too much.

    I've seen too many kids die of alcohol poisoning to change my position on this particular issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    What right does the government have to tell us what we can or cannot put in our bodies.
    So... the government has a right to say what minors put in their bodies more then adults.



    Again, that's a parenting issue. If they die from alcohol poisoning then how is the drinking law PREVENTING that?

  2. #22
    Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Join Date
    10-29-06
    Location
    Oklahoma....for now
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    118712
    I disagree Iron Man....using your logic, everything could return to a parenting issue...including the drug issue going on in another thread...the thing I come back to is there is nothing good that could come from lowering the age...the next Einstein or the cure for cancer is not gonna be found because some 15 year old could get drunk with his pals....so if it is not going to add anything, why risk the potential dangers?

    And FYI Ian....I didnt have a drink till I was 21....

  3. #23
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    disagree Iron Man....using your logic, everything could return to a parenting issue...including the drug issue going on in another thread...
    MANY things can become a parenting issue. You have no idea how many times we are called out to baby someones kids. Parents need to step up to the plate! As far as the drug issue...you you catch your 15 year old with a joint do you take care of it as a parent or call the police? MOST people take care of it as a parent

    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    the thing I come back to is there is nothing good that could come from lowering the age...the next Einstein or the cure for cancer is not gonna be found because some 15 year old could get drunk with his pals....so if it is not going to add anything, why risk the potential dangers?
    Nothing good will come of it you are correct, but what are the potential dangers? More kids getting drunk on booze they could have got anyway? More kids driving drunk on the booze they could get anyway?

    What potential danger is posed to society that merits the law? You don't have laws on the basis you will produce another Einstein
    or find a cure for cancer. You pass laws to protect society as a whole and the rights of an individual.

    What harm would come to society if we repealed the law? THAT's what you should be asking. Not thinking "so if it is not going to add anything".

  4. #24
    kay88's Avatar
    kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Join Date
    09-28-06
    Location
    New Ulm, MN
    Posts
    1,689
    Rep Power
    60408
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Many studies have shown that in many young adults, the brain is still developing as far as your mid-20s.
    You are correct in saying that. The studies that have been recorded in my psychology books and my exceptional children book say AVERAGE age for the frontal lobe (which ironically controls language, judgement, motor ability, memory, etc) being fully developed is 25. So should the drinking age be made to 25 instead? Since that's when the average age for the frontal lobe being developed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I think young adults, before they are old enough to drink, understand the importance of moderation. The 18-21 year gap will give the chance to see their older friends drink and see what happens when you do drink too much.
    But does that really make a difference? Most people when they turn 21 go out and get drunk, regardless of the fact that they might know what it looks like (either firsthand or from their older friends)....
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #25
    Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Join Date
    10-29-06
    Location
    Oklahoma....for now
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    118712
    Iron Man:

    You can look at it that way, but I don't see it as a zero sum game. If the law had never been on the books, and we were discussing it then...maybe I would be more inclined to your side of thinking...but there is precedent, we keep minors from many harmful things in society, and I can think of no good reason to change it...

  6. #26
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Becuase the law does nothing, that's not good enough reason to repeal it. I don't understand that logic.

  7. #27
    TheOldRhino's Avatar
    TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-23-06
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,142
    Rep Power
    2707686
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    So... the government has a right to say what minors put in their bodies more then adults.
    Yes.



    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    Again, that's a parenting issue. If they die from alcohol poisoning then how is the drinking law PREVENTING that?
    And what if the child has no parents, and is a ward of the state?
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

  8. #28
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    And what if the child has no parents, and is a ward of the state?
    Then that's up to whoever has custody of them.

  9. #29
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Yes.

    So what you want, is all drugs to be legal, with no concequences of their use legally, yet you don't want anyone under 21 having a beer?

  10. #30
    Doc_Holliday's Avatar
    Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Join Date
    10-29-06
    Location
    Oklahoma....for now
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    118712
    Iron man...the law DOES do something, it prevents some from drinking, myself included. I am sure I am not the only person in history to have a law be a deterrent. No law is 100% effective, but I don't think you can repeal the law on that basis, or we would have no laws at all. I didn't drink till after my 21st birthday, because I was deathly afraid of getting busted. Again, I cant believe I am the only kid to have looked at it that way.

  11. #31
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    Iron man...the law DOES do something, it prevents some from drinking, myself included. I am sure I am not the only person in history to have a law be a deterrent. No law is 100% effective, but I don't think you can repeal the law on that basis, or we would have no laws at all. I didn't drink till after my 21st birthday, because I was deathly afraid of getting busted. Again, I cant believe I am the only kid to have looked at it that way.


    No its not, but if you drank a beer at 18 would the earth stood still? Would you have Killied puppies with every sip?

    It does NOTHING to protect society. And by drinking you are not violating anyones rights.

    No harm no foul.

  12. #32
    Coloradocop's Avatar
    Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-16-06
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,042
    Rep Power
    282669
    I definately can see the logic in lowering the drinking age to 18. I too agree with the idea that if you can fight for your country you should be able to throw back a few beers.

  13. #33
    CT209's Avatar
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-22-06
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    974168
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    I definately can see the logic in lowering the drinking age to 18. I too agree with the idea that if you can fight for your country you should be able to throw back a few beers.
    I, too, can see the logic.

    We let 18yos vote, but they aren't mature enough to drink?!? I don't think immature people should be voting for the President. Maybe we should raise the voting age.

    They are adult enough to join the military, but they can't drink?!? That's a slap in the face to the men and women in the military. "You can die for me, but by the way, I don't want you drinking- that's way too adult a thing for you to do."

    I grew up when the drinking age was 18. Funny thing, I didn't die or have a car wreck. None of my peers died from drinking and driving either. Maybe, we were more mature back then and today's society doesn't teach 18yos as well?
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

    Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

  14. #34
    TheOldRhino's Avatar
    TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-23-06
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,142
    Rep Power
    2707686
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    So what you want, is all drugs to be legal, with no concequences of their use legally, yet you don't want anyone under 21 having a beer?
    You know, I'm a patient man. I like to have a rational debate. But when I do, I would like the other person to listen to what I say rather than wait for their turn to talk.

    I want you to show me- in any of my posts- where I said drugs should be used carte blanch with no age restriction.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

  15. #35
    Growler's Avatar
    Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    185216
    I agree with letting 18 year olds drink. Sometimes with age does not comes responsibility. Especially when you keep getting the older adults on their second and third DWI's.

  16. #36
    Pedro56's Avatar
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,107
    Rep Power
    3876353
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    I agree with letting 18 year olds drink. Sometimes with age does not comes responsibility. Especially when you keep getting the older adults on their second and third DWI's.
    I agree, hell, in my neighborhood we all picked up our first beers at the age of 13-14. I have never had a DUI, never crashed a car, have been drinking since I was in the Marines, heavily at times. I also believe in the fact if you are old enough to join the Military, to vote etc. then you are old enough to drink. It boils down to this, responsibility, and the parents willingness to teach it and enforce it. Yes people die from DUI's I believe that, and that is when someone should get hammered. Like Growler said I have stopped people that have had 3,4,5 DUI's it doesn't stop them from doing it does it?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

    "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

    "An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

    Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

    A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

    God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

  17. #37
    MonsterMash's Avatar
    MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Join Date
    05-04-06
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Power
    3454276
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Maybe, we were more mature back then and today's society doesn't teach 18yos as well?

    I agree with that wholeheartedly.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

  18. #38
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208309
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL_Ian View Post
    Now here's a consensual "crime" that I bet a LOT of you committed as a young person. Underage drinking. Should we lower the drinking age and save a lot of young people a major hassle?
    I am sorry to see that you are still here, but I will answer your question. WHen I was stationed at Fort Huachuca, AZ the drinking age was 18 on post. It was great because I was 19 at the time. I see no problem with military personnel on an Army base drinking at 18, because in the Army age does not matter. You mature REAL fast!
    I do not think the drinking age for the general public should be lowered. As an LEO I see that most kids could not handle it.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  19. #39
    keith720's Avatar
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-06-06
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,364
    Rep Power
    5488745
    I'm startin' to agree with Ian! If they are weaned and old enough to drink from a sippy cup, give 'em a beer! If they want a joint or a little crack when they're 12, who are we as a society to stop them? GIVE ME A FRICKEN BREAK! Society has a responsibility to safeguard it's citizens. Without laws, man has shown themselves to be irresponsible. Look to places where the government has lost control, such as Dufar to see where man's choices have led them. I'm sure no one gives a crap if you smoke a joint or drink there.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

    Winston Churchill

  20. #40
    BigDawg's Avatar
    BigDawg is offline K-9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    06-15-06
    Location
    So. Florida
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    1659729
    Same with here in Haiti. They really dont care about drugs, or drinking, or smoking ciggs. A child any aga can do it. They dont have welfare or very good health care here either. Everyone is allowed to have a weapon if they want it. Its just what Ian and people like him want.

    BUT, the gangs basically rule the streets, they kill and kidnapp at will here. We can do almost nothing to stop them. Crime is rampant, people are living in the streets and die from starvation and a lack of health care, I see it every day. Prostitution is everywhere because its the only way some of them can feed their families. 78% of the people make $2 or less a day. This is the type of life that will eventually happen if we allow Ian to have his way and his freedoms.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper


    Some people are meant to be the police......Some people are meant to call the police!!!

    "Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it."
    -Ronald Reagan


    " I believe that forgiving them (Terrorist) is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
    General Norman Schwartzkopf

    Not all Muslims are Terrorists, but all Terrorists are Muslim.
    (author unknown)


    The statements posted by BigDawg DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, or procedures of the author's employing agency. These statements are the personal opinions of BigDawg only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the user name of BigDawg. The opinions expressed by BigDawg are protected by the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. BigDawg’s messages are intended to invoke thought and discussion among the "Officer Resources" forum community and may not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. BigDawg’s posts and any attachments are intended for an adult audience (18+) and may contain strong language, sexual content, nudity, violence, and may be graphic in nature. Some material may be considered offensive; reader discretion is advised. Please note that many of BigDawg’s posts are intended for entertainment value only. BigDawg’s posts are not intended to be used where prohibited by law. Furthermore, BigDawg's posts, and any attachments, may contain information covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-07, 10:19 PM
  2. Drinking Quotes
    By BEK in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-07, 08:25 AM
  3. Drinking beer turns men into women
    By BEK in forum The Media Center
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-07, 03:01 PM
  4. Texas Drinking Rules
    By bufford408 in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-25-06, 05:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •