Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    From another forum -

hgr55
    Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007

Re: Officer with PTSD

Thanking you all for reading my story.I want to write a book about my experience with PTSD and what people really don't get to see or ever hear about the way local government and workmans comp carriers treat their injured workers.I also have had recent shoulder that I received in the line of duty (attempting to restrain a combative inmate) that my employer is totally disbuting.

http://www.spam.com/

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I think it is time for the holding cell for this.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    Exactly! LEO or civilian; POST Tramatic Stress doesn't discriminate!
    I could get traumatized by a large bowel movement too, but that doesn't mean I need Geraldo Rivera to give me an informative report and commentary on it.

PTSD is a real illness, I do not intend to make light of it. I simply commented that (much as Jenna posted), unless you've been there and done that, don't try to educate me, or one of my brothers about it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    unless you've been there and done that, don't try to educate me, or one of my brothers about it.
    +100000000000000000

Having been 15 feet away when my sgt was forced to shoot and kill a crazy woman with a rifle, and hearing her gasp and die, I can attest to that. Something I think about every day.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Go ahead and move it please Beansie, good idea there, buddy.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Go ahead and move it please Beansie, good idea there, buddy.
    10-4, i got it.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Thanks Countybear.
    You know I got your back, old man... (even if you are an imperialist prude).

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I thought this part was a little odd.

Could my PTSD been avoided if my employer offered me a Immediate Post Acute Event Analysis and counseling? This was not offered to me and I returned to work the following day after the attack with nothing being discussed and a "nothing happened" type of attitude that was severe type of attitude.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    So far things have been going good. I still have my moments, but thats to be expected. The first couple days and nights I didn't eat or sleep much but once I got it in my head that I did what I had to do to go home to my wife and kids I started to heal mentally. I was cleared by my department and the Louisiana State Police around April. Then finally by the Grand Jury with 3 no true bills for 2nd degree homicide, Manslaughter, and Negligent Homicide. I have returned to full duty and am continuing to recover everyday with help from my co-workers ( lewisipso, Countybear, iso607, and the rest of my L.E. family ).

My advice to hgr55 is find the help that you need. Don't be scared to go to counseling and shed a tear or two, it doesn't make you " less of a man ". There is nothing you could have done to prevent what happened and there is definantly nothing you can do to change it now. I have had the " what if thoughts " and there was no defensive tactic that I could have used to prevent my incident. All I can do now is take what I have learned from the expirence and use it to make my co-workers really understand that nothing is routine, just like you are doing with your site. Surround yourself with family and co-workers that will encourage you and help your healing process. I apologize if I offended you with my previous post. Good luck and God Bless.
    I'm glad that you're healing, smokey. And you are in good hands with your coworkers.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm glad that you're healing, smokey. And you are in good hands with your coworkers.
    Yeah...

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

hgr55 is offline Rookie

I apologize

I am sorry if I offended anyone on this forum,but my intention is to share my story and provide some inspiration for others.I have seen a therapist and I am on medication.My Dr.has referred me to a pyschiatrist and also suggested a career change.My story is true,but I left out alot of the details how I was treated after the incident.Once again,I apologize to anyone I have offended and did not mean to join this forum and create any waves.I am amazed how others view PTSD.In reading the replies to my 1st post it offends me to see how people view PTSD as nothing more than a cut or a bruise.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No offense taken, just step carefully about posting links/advertisements without administration approval. Due to the high incidences of fraud on the internet, we simply do not allow it.

I must agree with your therapist. A change in profession is probably called for in your situation. You must understand also, that on this forum, you will meet with officers having a vast range of experience, from the rookie, to the retired vet. Many of these guys have seen things that are beyond the realm of your worst nightmare, those here have lived to tell about it, but carry the memories of friends who didn't. Rarely, one of these men (or ladies) will open up about a traumatic street experience. When he or she does, it is part of an almost sacred healing process. We nearly all I think sympathize with your plight to an extent. But compare an injured shoulder in a fight with a pissed off inmate to what Smokey, or Beans shared. Many of our members here are combat veterans, as well as Law Enforcement Officers. Compare the poor treatment you alledge that you recieved from your supervisors, administrators, and co-workers to the taste and smell of gunpowder mixed with cerebrospinal fluid, blood, and cranial bone fragments as you watch someone's head explode from a gunshot wound at a distance of mere inches. If you do, you might just find that to suggest that you are suffering PTSD from an ass whipping is almost an insult.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

TacticalII is offline Member
    Verified LEO
    *You must spread some reputation around before giving it to countybear again...

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Wrong line of work if you get PTSD from an ass whipping. Personally I had to deal with some bad crap, but it was due to a few bad deployments that I had when I was in the Army, not in law enforcement. There was this time though as a young and dumb MP stationed in Germany, I learned that a 6'5" drunk Samoan is always right . Maybe that was PTSD too, nah, I just got my cocky ass kicked was all.

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    When you say " I left out alot of the details how I was treated after the incident " what exactly do you mean. Are you talking about not having a Debriefing or the medical treatment or are you talking about the way you were treated by co-workers and inmates. If you are talking about the treatment from your co-workers and inmates then yes you do need to find another job. If thats the case, PTSD is not what you are dealing with. Sounds like a pride issue and a problem with your insurance company more than anything. From reading Virginians quote of you from a different forum it sounds like you are using this Disorder as a way to get what your insurance or workmans comp didn't give you. And again if that is the case then I suggest you move along and take your Bull Shit to Officer.com or some other forum. As far as the mental aspect of treatment I couldn't be more greatful to my Dept. for how the took care of me, they went above and beyond. If that is the treatment you didn't go into detail about then please find another job because your department doesn't care about you. But in my professional opinion you are talking about the treatment from co-workers and inmates and it is obvious that you stood there while your co-worker took a beating and you just got bit in the leg and now they are clowning the shit out of you and you can't take it. Everyday since February 4, 2007 the lives of me and my family have been threatened. I have had Elementary school teachers tell me about how their student told them that their Aunt is gonna do a drive-by past my house then set it on fire to make sure me and my family are all dead. Could you deal with that and after dealing with it would you put that badge back on your chest. I could and I did because this isn't just a paycheck to me, I truely believe that it is a calling. I have been bit while fighting an inmate, there is probably many of us that have been. I have had my nose broken twice, once for dealing with someone elses problem when she couldn't do it herself and the other time fighting a piece of shit drug dealer that decided that he would rather stay and fight for his ounce and a half of cocaine ultimately costing him his life rather than running to live another day. So before you start claiming PTSD come walk the beat in some of our shoes or stand night watch for some of these guys/gals platoons while in the middle of a hot zone then come back and tell your story.

These are just my opinions and my therapist told me to let it out. WOOOSAAHHH. If I came across as a rude ass hole thats because I am. You either love me for it or you hate me there is no in between.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Originally posted by Smokey703:
    this isn't just a paycheck to me, I truly believe that it is a calling
    Tell it, brother.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    That's ditto for me. Dont be a damn whiner, nobody respects a whiner. Get over it and drive on, or go someplace else and cry. So you got your ass beat, big deal, learn from it and try not to let that happen again. If you can't, then let your agency hire someone else that can, because you are a liability.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    As far as the mental aspect of treatment I couldn't be more greatful to my Dept. for how the took care of me, they went above and beyond. If that is the treatment you didn't go into detail about then please find another job because your department doesn't care about you. But in my professional opinion you are talking about the treatment from co-workers and inmates and it is obvious that you stood there while your co-worker took a beating and you just got bit in the leg and now they are clowning the shit out of you and you can't take it. Everyday since February 4, 2007 the lives of me and my family have been threatened. I have had Elementary school teachers tell me about how their student told them that their Aunt is gonna do a drive-by past my house then set it on fire to make sure me and my family are all dead. Could you deal with that and after dealing with it would you put that badge back on your chest. I could and I did because this isn't just a paycheck to me, I truely believe that it is a calling. I have been bit while fighting an inmate, there is probably many of us that have been. I have had my nose broken twice, once for dealing with someone elses problem when she couldn't do it herself and the other time fighting a piece of shit drug dealer that decided that he would rather stay and fight for his ounce and a half of cocaine ultimately costing him his life rather than running to live another day. So before you start claiming PTSD come walk the beat in some of our shoes or stand night watch for some of these guys/gals platoons while in the middle of a hot zone then come back and tell your story.

These are just my opinions and my therapist told me to let it out. WOOOSAAHHH. If I came across as a rude ass hole thats because I am. You either love me for it or you hate me there is no in between.
    Wow, another moving and powerful set of reflections. You and everyone else posting here from your department are all so deep and thought-provoking! Y'all must have a great time working together--your conversations must be awesome!

Thanks for the sacrifices you've made to protect those of us who would not dare to tread in the dark places you go every day.

hgr55 is offline Rookie
    What I am trying to explain is that I came to the aid of my fellow officer and friend who was severly beaten and nearly lost his life at the hands of a inmate.The same inmate then bit me and injured another officer in the process of restraing him.His action were so severe that he was suppose to get a 15 year prison sentence but instead ended up getting 5 years.I was never offered any type of debriefing after the incident.My co workers were understanding and supportive of me.A traumatic event is a traumatic event,I am a little confused as to why some here look at it as a minor cut or a nose bleed.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by hgr55 View Post
    What I am trying to explain is that I came to the aid of my fellow officer and friend who was severly beaten and nearly lost his life at the hands of a inmate.The same inmate then bit me and injured another officer in the process of restraing him.His action were so severe that he was suppose to get a 15 year prison sentence but instead ended up getting 5 years.I was never offered any type of debriefing after the incident.My co workers were understanding and supportive of me.A traumatic event is a traumatic event,I am a little confused as to why some here look at it as a minor cut or a nose bleed.
    I guess you have to understand, a lot of us on here are hard core street cops who have seen it all.

I have had a rifle pointed at me and then watched another officer shoot her dead. I have had bullets slam into a house feet away from my head.

So it is hard for some of us to get all worked up your incident. If it effected you badly, I am glad you got help.

However, if I got PDSD from an ass whooping, then I guess I would have quit a while ago. I had my arm broken during an arrest. A few weeks later, I was back on the job. I was just mad I let the guy get the better of me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information