Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hgr55 is offline Rookie

Officer With PTSD

Hello everybody.I am providing a link to my personal website for those in law enforcement that have inflicted this horrible monster called PTSD.I intend for this website to be a bit of inspiration for those who have been ashamed to come forward and seek help.

My Website

www.Ididn'tasktheSiteOwnerforPermission.com

Thank You,
    hgr55

HGR55,

Coming onto a forum, and making your first post, which is basically spam for your website, is rude, and a direct violation of TOS. You do not have my approval as required. I suggest you PM me if you're interested in being a productive member here, and then I will grant you permissions to plug your website when I feel you're not just here to spam. If you do not reply to this by a post or PM, I will automatically assume you're a spammer and ban your account. Thanks.

Terminator, Site Owner

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Well I'd like to think that most Cops know about PTSD and would not hesitate in seeking help. We all know there is no shame involved. I read your story and was a little surprised that it induced PTSD, but hope you recover.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I would like to write a short book about my trials and tribulations I have encountered with PTSD.
    Hmmmmm....

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Hmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmm... is exactly what I was thinking when I read that line. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hgr55 View Post
    Hello everybody.I am providing a link to my personal website for those in law enforcement that have inflicted this horrible monster called PTSD.I intend for this website to be a bit of inspiration for those who have been ashamed to come forward and seek help.

My Website

Thank You,
    hgr55
    What caught my attention is your web site host (Homestead). I have designed and continue to maintain a web site for a friend also through Homestead. We need to talk... PM on the way. BTW, sorry to hear you suffer with PTSD. No one should be ashamed because they suffer with mental health issues. Help is ALWAYS available. Are you currently seeking help?

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    ooooh, ooooh, can I guess?????

But, if he truly is suffering from this, then I seriously wish him the best.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Verified LEO
    In my 30 years (20 of which were in Firearms Response Unit and involved a large number of shooting incidents), the only person I knew that suffered PTSD was Trevor Lock. And he was held hostage in the Iranian Embassy for 5 days and then had a terrorist shot in the head as he was wrestling with him on the floor. Now that I can understand.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by rob84 View Post
    ooooh, ooooh, can I guess?????

But, if he truly is suffering from this, then I seriously wish him the best.

Anyone, anyone......Ah yes, you in the back wearing nothing but a.

No really though if he is suffering from PTSD. I hope he can get through it. I was involved in a fatal shooting incident on Super Bowl Sunday of this year and though I have had counseling it is still something I am dealing with everyday.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Looks like he came here looking for a little comfort?

GOOD GOING TERM!

I think if this guy was really concerned he would have joined up and put a few postes under his belt before throwing this out. Not on his first post!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey703 View Post
    Anyone, anyone......Ah yes, you in the back wearing nothing but a.

No really though if he is suffering from PTSD. I hope he can get through it. I was involved in a fatal shooting incident on Super Bowl Sunday of this year and though I have had counseling it is still something I am dealing with everyday.

Sorry to hear about your incident, I hope all turns out good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    In my 30 years (20 of which were in Firearms Response Unit and involved a large number of shooting incidents), the only person I knew that suffered PTSD was Trevor Lock. And he was held hostage in the Iranian Embassy for 5 days and then had a terrorist shot in the head as he was wrestling with him on the floor. Now that I can understand.
    Shows how much you don't understand PTSD. What you fail to realize is that, unfortunately for many, the incident doesn't have to be life threatening to bring on PTSD. The sad truth is we are only human and not everyone is able to cope with life and its many experiences whether they be severe, moderate, minimal, or no impact. If this isn't bad enough, not everyone responds the same. I'm not picking on you, Trojan... just trying to help you understand.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by rob84 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your incident, I hope all turns out good for you.
    So far things have been going good. I still have my moments, but thats to be expected. The first couple days and nights I didn't eat or sleep much but once I got it in my head that I did what I had to do to go home to my wife and kids I started to heal mentally. I was cleared by my department and the Louisiana State Police around April. Then finally by the Grand Jury with 3 no true bills for 2nd degree homicide, Manslaughter, and Negligent Homicide. I have returned to full duty and am continuing to recover everyday with help from my co-workers ( lewisipso, Countybear, iso607, and the rest of my L.E. family ).

My advice to hgr55 is find the help that you need. Don't be scared to go to counseling and shed a tear or two, it doesn't make you " less of a man ". There is nothing you could have done to prevent what happened and there is definantly nothing you can do to change it now. I have had the " what if thoughts " and there was no defensive tactic that I could have used to prevent my incident. All I can do now is take what I have learned from the expirence and use it to make my co-workers really understand that nothing is routine, just like you are doing with your site. Surround yourself with family and co-workers that will encourage you and help your healing process. I apologize if I offended you with my previous post. Good luck and God Bless.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So far things have been going good. I still have my moments, but thats to be expected. The first couple days and nights I didn't eat or sleep much but once I got it in my head that I did what I had to do to go home to my wife and kids I started to heal mentally. I was cleared by my department and the Louisiana State Police around April. Then finally by the Grand Jury with 3 no true bills for 2nd degree homicide, Manslaughter, and Negligent Homicide. I have returned to full duty and am continuing to recover everyday with help from my co-workers ( lewisipso, Countybear, iso607, and the rest of my L.E. family ).

My advice to hgr55 is find the help that you need. Don't be scared to go to counseling and shed a tear or two, it doesn't make you " less of a man ". There is nothing you could have done to prevent what happened and there is definantly nothing you can do to change it now. I have had the " what if thoughts " and there was no defensive tactic that I could have used to prevent my incident. All I can do now is take what I have learned from the expirence and use it to make my co-workers really understand that nothing is routine, just like you are doing with your site. Surround yourself with family and co-workers that will encourage you and help your healing process. I apologize if I offended you with my previous post. Good luck and God Bless.

I'm happy to hear that you got cleared and are back to full duty. Getting home to your family at the end of your shift is priority #1, thank God you made it. Again, sorry to hear about the incident, take care, and stay safe out there.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    Shows how much you don't understand PTSD. What you fail to realize is that, unfortunately for many, the incident doesn't have to be life threatening to bring on PTSD. The sad truth is we are only human and not everyone is able to cope with life and its many experiences whether they be severe, moderate, minimal, or no impact. If this isn't bad enough, not everyone responds the same. I'm not picking on you, Trojan... just trying to help you understand.

Wait a sec, here. I don't mean to be insensitive, but...

30 years on the job, 20 of which serving as part of a tactical weapons response team, survivor of the haydays of the IRA...

I'd say Mr. Trojan has probably forgotten more about police stress than many of us have ever known, especially a civilian.

Sorry, but sometimes you just have to call it as you see it.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    Well sorry to contradict you, but I actually don't need your help. My department ran an excellent scheme for PTSD and actively helped all involved in traumatic incidents. I was a Mentor for those affected and received the appropriate training for the role.

But it is called POST Traumatic Stress for a reason.

Verified LEO
    Thanks Countybear.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Wow, these are really deep and thoughtful reflections. What is it with everyone from your dept being so articulate?

Sorry you had to go through what you did. It must have been tough to not only go through the trauma of a fatal shooting, but also deal with so many people second-guessing you and putting you on the defensive. I can see why LEOs often feel that only other LEOs can understand them--perhaps only those who have been in similar circumstances can understand how hard they are. I hope you can feel at peace with what happened. At least you are in good hands with all the poet-cops you work with!

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    If I read this right, he is addressing LEO's that have INFLICTED ptsd on others. Or is my PTSD screwing up my head again. Maybe he ment to say LEO's that have been inflicted. Got me, i'm nuts anyway......nav

[QUOTE=hgr55;211008]Hello everybody.I am providing a link to my personal website for those in law enforcement that have inflicted this horrible monster called PTSD.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Sorry, but sometimes you just have to call it as you see it.
    Exactly! LEO or civilian; POST Tramatic Stress doesn't discriminate!

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Exactly! LEO or civilian; POST Tramatic Stress doesn't discriminate!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information