Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    lechleidner is offline Rookie

What are my chances?

I'm 38, AA degree, 15 year business owner, and 715 Credit rating. I have been a successful business owner in Puerto Rico for 15 years, I make about 14K monthly, and my business runs itself with the help of a managing partner. I am from Florida, and would like/love to get back, I am looking into law enforcement, because I want out of the restuarant business. I'd rather make 40K with FHP, than 60K as GM of any restuarant. When I was a kid (1987), I had a Fake ID arrest, and a disorderely conduct, and a Drinking in public. I tried pot a few times, but I'm not a pothead. I've never bought the stuff, and I've done the pot about 2 times. I have been married for 13 years, and keep myself in pretty good shape. ( 6'2" 190 lbs). I've got about 4 moving violation tickets in my life. Anytime, I think of a back-ground question, or a polygraph question, the only transgressions in my life happened before I was 21. Can I be DQ'd for that? I'm in PR, in the bar business, but I don't hang out and drink, and I never touch any of the drugs that have been thrust at me, I'm a family man, and my spare time is spent with my 12 year old daughter. She is the Captain of the 12 Under Nationals Travel Team (Volleyball), and I have fun watching her play, and dealing with some nice decent other parents, and coaches.......What do you think of my law enforcement goal?
    Last edited by lechleidner; 07-13-07 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Cheech Guest
    I say you never know until you test . I dont see it as a automatiq DQ for most departments. Apply and try.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I find it interesting that you posted your credit score.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Cheech Guest
    mine is 1000 if it makes you feel better

I posted my credit score because it seems a large part of the FHP Process. I got 3:55 PAT, and 85% BAT. I took my Poly on 6/25, I an waiting to hear from the 115th BRC. BTW, cheech, I bet you a thousand dollars that your credit score is not 1000. Check that, I bet you anything you can afford, or are willing to bet.

Cheech Guest
    Alright you owe me a thousand dollars

OK, thanks Cheech, the check is in the mail. I started this post with an honest bio, and question. I understand that sarcasm, and laughing at your own jokes are part of the LEO profession, but it gets old after about 12 weeks.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Fiesty bunch lately!

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by lechleidner View Post
    .I understand that sarcasm, and laughing at your own jokes are part of the LEO profession, but it gets old after about 12 weeks.
    Perhaps, this isn't the job for you, if you understood it, you would know that you are going to be around "funny" guys all the time... if it wears on you that quickly you need thicker skin or to stay where you are...

Thanks for the note and the tip Illy, I can fake some chuckles, and get by if thats what is needed. Ugggh? This is not why I started this post?

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Easy fella. The most things that civilians don't understand is the humor cops have. Your not a cop yet so I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Cheech is yankin your chain dude. Relax your nerves. If you can't contend with a little ribbing then you'll never survive a suspect spitting in your face.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cheech Guest
    agreed. chill out. I gave you a answer. a honest answer. so go test and find out what they tell you.

oh and my credit score isn't 1000 its 1100

Thanks Lew, and Illy, you guys spelled it out. My skin is plenty thick, and I can handle any and all ribbing. It's just a different world for me. I am a business man, and I let my employees talk, and I try to get a feel for their personality. I like to hear their opinions, and I feel it helps my business to make them feel special. When I was 22 or 23, I got a chance to talk with the Owner/Founder of Outback Steakhouse, he wanted to know what I thought, and what I felt, he never made a joke, he was all business. He never made a comment and said, hahaah don't you get it?

Cheech Guest
    Thanks for the note and the tip Illy, I can fake some chuckles, and get by if thats what is needed. Ugggh? This is not why I started this post?
    actually maybe your not ready. you need a sense of humor. in my own words and others may agree a sense of humor in this job is crucial. you will see things you wish you never saw. if you want to be just serious and no joking in this job I guarantee you will not have a lot of people favor you within your department. the sense of humor is so you forget all the stupid stuff you deal with

cheech, nice job on the 1100, when will you go away?

Verified LEO
    OK, thanks Cheech, the check is in the mail. I started this post with an honest bio, and question. I understand that sarcasm, and laughing at your own jokes are part of the LEO profession, but it gets old after about 12 weeks.
    Hence this is a police officer board, for cops, by cops. I mean no disrespect, but if you don't like it go somewhere else.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified LEO
    Oh and you see, he is not, he is a cop. The only one going away will be you if you keep it up.

Cheech Guest
    obviously from my post count it looks like I've been awhile and I'm not going away..

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Hell we have been wondering that since Dec. '05

But he came here with the same desire and he made it as a LEO.

So he has our respect. If you would like the same respect you should extend some to the ones with the Verified LEO tag
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

I feel like I am hitting a hornets nest disguised as a pinata

Cheech, your credit score is awesome. ( I thought our conversation was over) but you keep talking? ( I don't get that)

Beans: I thought I was on a "Ask a Cop" forum, when I posted my credit score, I personally had a feeling that, that is why I have progressed so far in the FHP process.

thanks to Illi and Lew, you guys make me smile, and I feel very protected.

I don't feel I've said anything worthy of a DQ? Thanks for the threat Beans.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information