Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    Don't get offended that I used the word "claim." It's not that I don't believe you, but you have to take into account that I have no idea who you are and people come onto different police forums and claim to be people they're not all the time.

I do agree that training in some sort of MMA will obviously help out anyone. I train in it to better prepare myself for situations that I might experience someday and I learn from every one I already have gone through.
    Agreed

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeEye View Post

Maybe it was phrased wrong but it wasn't hard to understand my point.

Your point was taken. But it's not what you say, but how you say it. In your first few posts on the forum you managed to post in a way that begins to smell of troll. With a first post like,

Every single time I see a vid of a cop fighting with a suspect the cop is always getting his/her ass kicked. Now I know that some can throw hands yet it seems like the majority can't. I know there are plenty more cases all across the country that we don't see/hear about.

You come as as inflammatory and argumentive. I urge you to re-read the TOS, especially "there is a fine line between a spirited debate and unnecessary drama"
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Supreme,

You say that you getting ready to get started with LA County S.O. Let me give you some advice.
    1.Make it to academy and graduate, you will see what they are taught there
    2.You might want to drop this know it all attitude before you meet your FTO
    3.Get in a fight with real hardened criminal that is looking at real time if he loses the fight. After that you can come on here and tell us about your experiences good or bad.
    4.Remember that cops get told all the time by the public that they (the public) know how to do our job better than us. In my opinion the only thing worse than this is having a rookie that has watched to many Siegal movies tell us how to do our jobs.
    Well, have fun storming the castle.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Supreme,

You say that you getting ready to get started with LA County S.O. Let me give you some advice.
    1.Make it to academy and graduate, you will see what they are taught there
    2.You might want to drop this know it all attitude before you meet your FTO
    3.Get in a fight with real hardened criminal that is looking at real time if he loses the fight. After that you can come on here and tell us about your experiences good or bad.
    4.Remember that cops get told all the time by the public that they (the public) know how to do our job better than us. In my opinion the only thing worse than this is having a rookie that has watched to many Siegal movies tell us how to do our jobs.
    Well, have fun storming the castle.
    Who said I know it all?

I didn't say that if this guy would have delivered an elbow strike or executed a guillotine choke that the fight would have been over.

Now if said something like that then you can say I know it all.

I simply stated what Styles would be effective on the streets.

So you assume that I have watched too many Siegal movies? I know that comment was directed at me.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    I'll save my replies for the Holding cell....

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I'll save my replies for the Holding cell....
    I have a feeling that is coming.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    In my opinion the only thing worse than this is having a rookie that has watched to many Siegal movies tell us how to do our jobs.
    Siegal was the man. back in the 90's I always refer to WWCND
    What would Chuck Norris Do

and the real reason chuck is tough

But to answer the question. All the fighting skills you think you have goes out the window in a street fight. Seeing that as a cop you can just do anything you want, in todays day in age you need to be careful what you do when you do it. If you think your the toughest kid on the block you are mistaken and shouldnt get into law enforcement, there is ALWAYS someone bigger and badder then you. I got into a fight with a guy that lasted 10 mins till my back up showed up. There were two things going againts me that night 1. the guy was on meth and 2. I had the flu and shouldnt have been at work anyways. Getting into LE you will learn one main thought, DO NOT armchair quarterback any situation that you see on or hear about. Once a cop your number 1 response to people will most likely be " I dont know I wasnt there" That should help you out at every family reunion, night at the bar or hanging out with your wifes friends when people will come up to you and ask you about the one time they got stopped and if that was right for the officer to do what they did. Same thing goes with videos on youtube or anywhere else, you dont know cause you were not there. BTW if there is a video of a police officer properly defending himself or arresting a fighting suspect its labeled "Police Abuse"

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I know that comment was directed at me.
    You might make one hell of a detective or a captain straight out of academy if you keep up the good work.

The countdown to the holding cell has started.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO

You might make one hell of a detective or a captain straight out of academy if you keep up the good work.

The countdown to the holding cell has started.
    Good job to the mod moved this to the holding cell. I knew it was heading here.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Good job to the mod moved this to the holding cell. I knew it was heading here.

We certainly do have a kickass Mod Squad.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'd say a big reason many cops aren't masters of fighting hand to hand is because they don't have to be. You don't meet violence with violence on the same level, you step it up a notch. If someone puts up his fists, you pull out a piece of steel that can break his arm. If he pulls out a piece of steel, you pull out a gun. That, along with the gift of gab, is why small women can be just as successful in law enforcement as big brutes.

Another reason you don't see a lot of fighting and choking is that cops have the constant threat of lawsuits and excessive force investigations. You choke a guy out on video, even if it's reasonable in the situation, and you'll probably find yourself on the news. Always better to have the guy lay himself down at gunpoint than to physically lay him down and risk your safety and health.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    I'd say a big reason many cops aren't masters of fighting hand to hand is because they don't have to be. You don't meet violence with violence on the same level, you step it up a notch. If someone puts up his fists, you pull out a piece of steel that can break his arm. If he pulls out a piece of steel, you pull out a gun. That, along with the gift of gab, is why small women can be just as successful in law enforcement as big brutes.

Another reason you don't see a lot of fighting and choking is that cops have the constant threat of lawsuits and excessive force investigations. You choke a guy out on video, even if it's reasonable in the situation, and you'll probably find yourself on the news. Always better to have the guy lay himself down at gunpoint than to physically lay him down and risk your safety and health.
    Well thank you

Thats the same thing a Seargent told me last week on a ride along.

At least you were able to give a legitimate answer.

TacticalII is offline Member
    Verified LEO
    At least you were able to give a legitimate answer.
    That's the type of smart ass comment that isn't gaining you any popularity here. You expect to start posting and immediately be taken seriously. Try getting to know the guys/gals around here first, then maybe we'll take you up on a serious topic.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Police work is not a game, they don't pay me to box with folks nor is our job some kind of extreme fighting match. You pull out a knife I pull out my gun, and if you pull out a gun I'm running you over with my car. Fuck all that Muay Thai or BJJ crap. I know Judo, Judo know if I have a knife or Judo know if I have a gun
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalII View Post
    That's the type of smart ass comment that isn't gaining you any popularity here. You expect to start posting and immediately be taken seriously. Try getting to know the guys/gals around here first, then maybe we'll take you up on a serious topic.
    +1

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    For someowho who loves movies with lots of gunfights, you really are defending hand to hand combat
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    I don't get paid to fight fair. I get paid to win!!

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Elle is offline Banned
    Supreme I have some bad news, your doctor called and well....

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Ya, see!! I go to court and all this happens while Im gone, dang it.

Supreme, you are NOT gonna make it if you act this way and display this attitude as a wannabe. Hang it up, go practice standing on the tailboard of a waste management vehicle or something.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information