Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1. #1
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up What type of Self Defense skills are taught to officers?

    Every single time I see a vid of a cop fighting with a suspect the cop is always getting his/her ass kicked. Now I know that some can throw hands yet it seems like the majority can't. I know there are plenty more cases all across the country that we don't see/hear about.

    Now Im not just basing this off of videos because I know people who have seen cops get whooped on way back in the day. Im talking about in the 60's, 70's and up until now.

    So what type of fighting skills are taught?

    Why isn't Muay Thai taught for the stand-up and BJJ taught for the ground game?

    What about Kali or Eskrima since batons are used?

    I just want to know.

  2. #2
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439165
    Offhand, I'd say join the academy and find out.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  3. #3
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208308
    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeEye View Post
    Every single time I see a vid of a cop fighting with a suspect the cop is always getting his/her ass kicked. Now I know that some can throw hands yet it seems like the majority can't. I know there are plenty more cases all across the country that we don't see/hear about.

    Now Im not just basing this off of videos because I know people who have seen cops get whooped on way back in the day. Im talking about in the 60's, 70's and up until now.

    So what type of fighting skills are taught?

    Why isn't Muay Thai taught for the stand-up and BJJ taught for the ground game?

    What about Kali or Eskrima since batons are used?

    I just want to know.
    Why do you want to know, you like seeing cops get beat up?
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  4. #4
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Now these vids in no way represent all of law enforcement, Yet you can clearly see how MT or BJJ would have changed the situation

    Wow, inside of a station c'mon now
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUmX82EihT4

    Yikes
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MsPrWXU2ifE

    No one even helped
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zGMgCk7Y5Ok

    BJJ would have worked in this fight
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=21CUmU01Nv8

    Just digusting
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kL1tPpGeAoc

    Wow
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EiMOKXYCZMw

  5. #5
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Why do you want to know, you like seeing cops get beat up?
    Simply because what I see is a shame.

    If I liked seeing cops get beat up, would I have suggested Muay Thai or BJJ be taught?

  6. #6
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-29-06
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,090
    Rep Power
    4309820
    Oh boy.




  7. #7
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Offhand, I'd say join the academy and find out.
    Im currently in background with Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

  8. #8
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208308
    Well if you are such a tough guy, become a cop and get out there. I will not second guess officers actions.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  9. #9
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Well if you are such a tough guy, become a cop and get out there. I will not second guess officers actions.
    Why are you getting emotional?

    I asked a simple question on what type of skills are taught, and you want to cop an attitude.

    And where Did I say that I was a tough guy?

    Where did I say that I "WOULD HAVE DONE THIS AND THAT"?

    Show me where since you want to make assumptions.

  10. #10
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208308
    Looked to me that you were fishing for a fight and trying to stir us up with videos of officers getting hurt. If you are sincere then I apologize.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  11. #11
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Looked to me that you were fishing for a fight and trying to stir us up with videos of officers getting hurt. If you are sincere then I apologize.
    I wanted to know what is taught since I see too many vids of cops getting beat.

    Honestly in many of those fights some knowledge of BJJ and MT would have helped.

    Pepper spray isn't always going to work nor is your gun, nor will the baton always work.

    So sometimes you will have to throw hands.

  12. #12
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Plus also if MT, BJJ and Eskrima are taught to officers or at least the basics of each discipline, many officers won't have to draw their gun.

  13. #13
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,320
    Rep Power
    8591417
    Supreme,

    What you have run up against is that you will not find officers discussing tactics or lack thereof in a public forum for the world to see.

    Unfortunately there are officers out there who have subpar DT skills. This could be due to poor continuing training, mindset, etc. However it's common practice NOT to second guess an officer's decisions or abilities unless we were there. Often times videos are edited to see only what the editor wants someone to see. So unless a person is there for the entire situation, it's really not fair to form an opinion.

    The concept of your post is fine, however in the future I ask that you put some more thought into how you phrase things or the response you may illicit. Best of luck in the background process.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  14. #14
    10-42Adam's Avatar
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-24-06
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    5,928
    Rep Power
    200412
    Are you some sort of MT and BJJ salesman or something? You've mentioned it in just about all of your posts so far.

    Look, nobody on LEF likes seeing videos like that so if you're going to post them with the little comments that you added above them, you're going to stir up some shit. Not every Officer out there is a pro boxer or fighter. It just so happens that a few of them ended up on the internet.

    All academies have some sort of self-defense portion, it's just that some go into more depth than others. That's why a lot of Officers also train in some sort of self-defense technique outside of work.

    For somebody who claims to be in the background investigation for an agency and wants to be a cop, you sure do seem cold hearted when it comes to watching your boys in blue get shaken up.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

    A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

  15. #15
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Supreme,

    What you have run up against is that you will not find officers discussing tactics or lack thereof in a public forum for the world to see.

    Unfortunately there are officers out there who have subpar DT skills. This could be due to poor continuing training, mindset, etc. However it's common practice NOT to second guess an officer's decisions or abilities unless we were there. Often times videos are edited to see only what the editor wants someone to see. So unless a person is there for the entire situation, it's really not fair to form an opinion.

    The concept of your post is fine, however in the future I ask that you put some more thought into how you phrase things or the response you may illicit. Best of luck in the background process.
    Fair enough

    Yet some disciplines would benefit LE greatly.

    As long as it's not TKD or the million forms of karate styles that are taught in the 50 billion dojo's here in every city.

  16. #16
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,320
    Rep Power
    8591417
    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeEye View Post
    Fair enough

    Yet some disciplines would benefit LE greatly.

    As long as it's not TKD or the million forms of karate styles that are taught in the 50 billion dojo's here in every city.
    I agree and can say that many officers do train in other arts aside from the basic teachings in the academy.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  17. #17
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post

    For somebody who claims to be in the background investigation for an agency and wants to be a cop, you sure do seem cold hearted when it comes to watching your boys in blue get shaken up.
    Claim???

    Why would I make up a story about being in Background?

    It's not like im saying im a Delta operator or Navy SEAL with countless missions, c'mon now.

    Im not cold hearted it's the simple fact that it disturbs me to the point where I have to ask.

    Nobody can deny the fact that MT and BJJ would have made a significant difference in these fights.

    I say these two styles simple because they are two of the most street effective styles along with Krav maga, Kali and a few others.

  18. #18
    SupremeEye is offline Banned
    Join Date
    08-31-07
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I agree and can say that many officers do train in other arts aside from the basic teachings in the academy.
    Good thats good.

    At least somebody understands what Im saying.

    Maybe it was phrased wrong but it wasn't hard to understand my point.

  19. #19
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,320
    Rep Power
    8591417
    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeEye View Post
    Nobody can deny the fact that MT and BJJ would have made a significant difference in these fights.

    And you sir are not qualified to make that statement as again, you were not there. You will learn if you get on the job that there are many factors that determine use of force. From the video you cannot accurately determine the ability of the fighter, the physical condition, etc. For a person so well versed in the martial arts you of all people should know to never underestimate your opponent.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  20. #20
    10-42Adam's Avatar
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    09-24-06
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    5,928
    Rep Power
    200412
    Quote Originally Posted by SupremeEye View Post
    Claim???

    Why would I make up a story about being in Background?

    Im not cold hearted it's the simple fact that it disturbs me to the point where I have to ask.

    Nobody can deny the fact that MT and BJJ would have made a significant difference in these fights.

    I say these two styles simple because they are two of the most street effective styles along with Krav maga, Kali and a few others.
    Don't get offended that I used the word "claim." It's not that I don't believe you, but you have to take into account that I have no idea who you are and people come onto different police forums and claim to be people they're not all the time.

    I do agree that training in some sort of MMA will obviously help out anyone. I train in it to better prepare myself for situations that I might experience someday and I learn from every one I already have gone through.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

    A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

 

 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •