Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    wanna_b_trooper's Avatar
    wanna_b_trooper is offline "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid"
    Join Date
    04-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    590

    How do you know for sure

    Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join this forum.

    Im about to submit my application to the Louisiana State Police. I have 20 years in the Army, but with a medical background.

    Ive always wanted to be in law enforcement and the idea of becoming a trooper has been nagging at me daily. Like is this right for me.

    A question....How do you really know when you want to be an LEO?

    Thanks in advance for any responses.

  2. #2
    BigDawg's Avatar
    BigDawg is offline K-9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    06-15-06
    Location
    So. Florida
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    1659728
    I will tell you the easiest way. Go do a couple of ride-alongs. After just one or two you will know if its for you or not. I suggest though that you do them with different agencies, not just the State Police. After just one ride-along I knew it was the job for me!!!
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper


    Some people are meant to be the police......Some people are meant to call the police!!!

    "Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it."
    -Ronald Reagan


    " I believe that forgiving them (Terrorist) is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
    General Norman Schwartzkopf

    Not all Muslims are Terrorists, but all Terrorists are Muslim.
    (author unknown)


    The statements posted by BigDawg DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, or procedures of the author's employing agency. These statements are the personal opinions of BigDawg only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the user name of BigDawg. The opinions expressed by BigDawg are protected by the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. BigDawg’s messages are intended to invoke thought and discussion among the "Officer Resources" forum community and may not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. BigDawg’s posts and any attachments are intended for an adult audience (18+) and may contain strong language, sexual content, nudity, violence, and may be graphic in nature. Some material may be considered offensive; reader discretion is advised. Please note that many of BigDawg’s posts are intended for entertainment value only. BigDawg’s posts are not intended to be used where prohibited by law. Furthermore, BigDawg's posts, and any attachments, may contain information covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner.

  3. #3
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208309
    Ride along is a great idea. The biggest thing you need to have is thick skin. Can you handle being talked to badly, called names and generally hated by the public? If that does not bother you than you will be ok. You will not believe the way people talk to officers. It can begin to wear on you.
    I have been on 7 years and I am starting to get a little burnt out. I do love the job, but it is tough. It is hard on my family as well, I never see because I am always working.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  4. #4
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750834
    If you have to ask, you're not ready.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  5. #5
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,720
    Rep Power
    6936011
    It's not how do you know it's why do you want. Why do you want to be a LEO?
    If you are not ready to lay down your life in service to others you may want to think twice. The crack head you arrest today may be the one you die for tomorrow.
    This job has so many angles it's probably impossible to cover them all. It's dissapointing and rewarding work at the same time. Maybe find a vet that really loves the job and get the real story.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  6. #6
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Maybe find a vet that really loves the job and get the real story.
    This made me think of RetDetSgt. Whatever happened to him anyway?

  7. #7
    Twan007's Avatar
    Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-14-07
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    821464
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    If you have to ask, you're not ready.
    agreed
    -=Twan007


    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.





    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

  8. #8
    Willowdared's Avatar
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Join Date
    04-26-06
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1401351
    Welcome!

    And ride-alongs are a great way to get a fell for things.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

  9. #9
    wanna_b_trooper's Avatar
    wanna_b_trooper is offline "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid"
    Join Date
    04-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    590
    Thanks for all the advice from BigDawg3533, Beans, lewisipso, and PDawg.. extremely helpful. Two replys were short sided and not very helpful. If you can understand that after 21 years in the Army (where Ive faced many dangers just like you LEOs) that this is a MAJOR career change that affects not only me, but my family and it takes enormous thought and consideration. So, advice like, and I quote "If you have to ask, youre not ready" is extremely sophomoric.
    The reason I want to be an trooper is because from what I see from the outside looking in at the LSP is that they are motivated, disciplined, and follow a chain of command similiar to the military. I want to remain in a uniform for the rest of my life and the LSP seems like it fits the bill.
    To all you LEOs out there be careful your family looks forward to seeing you tonight.

  10. #10
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna_b_trooper View Post
    Thanks for all the advice from BigDawg3533, Beans, lewisipso, and PDawg.. extremely helpful. Two replys were short sided and not very helpful. If you can understand that after 21 years in the Army (where Ive faced many dangers just like you LEOs) that this is a MAJOR career change that affects not only me, but my family and it takes enormous thought and consideration. So, advice like, and I quote "If you have to ask, youre not ready" is extremely sophomoric.
    The reason I want to be an trooper is because from what I see from the outside looking in at the LSP is that they are motivated, disciplined, and follow a chain of command similiar to the military. I want to remain in a uniform for the rest of my life and the LSP seems like it fits the bill.
    To all you LEOs out there be careful your family looks forward to seeing you tonight.
    Not entirely true, wanna_b_trooper. Keep in mind this site is FOR COPS, BY COPS. You're talking to seasoned officers who based their response on this:

    Quote Originally Posted by wanna_b_trooper
    I have 20 years in the Army, but with a medical background.
    You shouldn't have been surprised at the replies given. Never mind it was your first post. Now that you've explained yourself a little, you may find the replies suited more toward your question. BTW...

    to LEF!

  11. #11
    mfranklin01's Avatar
    mfranklin01 is offline its not vendication...its punishment
    Join Date
    02-27-07
    Location
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    37445
    I agree with crimebytes...we are generally cautious about people that ask a generalized question like when do you know, or how do you know. When it comes to LEO profession its more of like you just realize. it becomes part of your everyday life without realizing it. The time I really realized it was when i was working as a CO back home between semesters of college. If you can work around the same group of scum that have nothing better to do than think of ways to make your shift and life absolute hell...then this is the job for you. oh yeah...almost forgot.

    Welcome to the site enjoy your stay. and good luck with LSP I have a couple of really good friends that work with them.

  12. #12
    213th's Avatar
    213th is offline Solipsist
    Join Date
    12-19-05
    Location
    64.3° N 149.1° W
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    1712095
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    Not entirely true, wanna_b_trooper. Keep in mind this site is FOR COPS, BY COPS. You're talking to seasoned officers who based their response on this:
    K, I'm not a cop and all, but I agree with CB here. It's like any other CAREER. If you have to ask, then you aren't ready. Obviously, in LE it would be a much deadlier career to be in if you don't really want to be.

    You said you were in the military, a medic. I'm in the military, and a medic for a volunteer civilian department. Neither one of those jobs (given, I am a volunteer medic) is to be entered in to just for something to do. The dangers faced and the commitment required is to much of a risk for someone who doesn't want to be there 100%. In law enforcement, it is exponentially more dangerous.

    I would be willing to bet that the majority of police officers here, if not all of them, would never want their partner or backup to be someone who is questioning their loyalty and dedication to the job. And that, to me, is what would inspire you or anyone to question whether or not the career they chose was what they really wanted to know.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

  13. #13
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,720
    Rep Power
    6936011
    I applaud your interest in the LSP. Not all is as seems. I hope you don't get agitated when things don't go the way a reasonable person thinks they should. This is Louisiana. Criminal cases go the way thats best for politics. Just ask any Louisiana vet officer.
    Also don't let the uniform and chain of command guide you into continued service. The civilian population is looking at you to be their scapegoat, preacher, lawyer, therapist, heavybag, (yes people think they can beat on the police), sacrifice etc. It's a dangerous job not everyone is cut out for. You will also be expendible if your agency thinks they need to feed you to the wolves in order to survive the law suit.
    This only scratches the surface though believe me. However if you can see your way through that and everything else that isn't mentioned this is the best career on the planet.
    I love my job!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  14. #14
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750834
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna_b_trooper View Post
    Thanks for all the advice from BigDawg3533, Beans, lewisipso, and PDawg.. extremely helpful. Two replys were short sided and not very helpful. If you can understand that after 21 years in the Army (where Ive faced many dangers just like you LEOs) that this is a MAJOR career change that affects not only me, but my family and it takes enormous thought and consideration. So, advice like, and I quote "If you have to ask, youre not ready" is extremely sophomoric.
    First off, thank you for your service to your country. You have my respect.

    My comment had a point, even though it was partially in jest.

    Just remember you came here asking us, we didn't come over there and ask you. I was just trying to help you out, brother. Because trust me when I say you'll have to put up with a lot more when you start out in the job.

    Obviously my help is no longer warranted, so I'll say no more. Best of luck.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  15. #15
    Beans's Avatar
    Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-01-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,319
    Rep Power
    5208309
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    First off, thank you for your service to your country. You have my respect.

    My comment had a point, even though it was partially in jest.

    Just remember you came here asking us, we didn't come over there and ask you. I was just trying to help you out, brother. Because trust me when I say you'll have to put up with a lot more when you start out in the job.

    Obviously my help is no longer warranted, so I'll say no more. Best of luck.
    Wow, the old Rhino would have told him to F off!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

  16. #16
    slick628's Avatar
    slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-19-07
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    528
    Rep Power
    146528
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    It's not how do you know it's why do you want. Why do you want to be a LEO?
    If you are not ready to lay down your life in service to others you may want to think twice. The crack head you arrest today may be the one you die for tomorrow.
    This job has so many angles it's probably impossible to cover them all. It's dissapointing and rewarding work at the same time. Maybe find a vet that really loves the job and get the real story.
    Aside from going on a ride along, ^^is best said.
    "That's how we roll"

  17. #17
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Wow, the old Rhino would have told him to F off!
    Which brings me to ask, which do you like better... the old Rhino or the new and improved Rhino?

  18. #18
    gozling's Avatar
    gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Join Date
    06-28-06
    Location
    O'ahu Hawaii
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    610543
    I went from one career to another... security to no security.. however I had no family to consider.

    If you have a family to consider then finding a dept that pays well is important, as well as the benifits.

    Do research. I went from a professional career to this... It was something I have wanted to do since I was 17 or so.. however I chose another path and always had this tugging at me. I researched depts pay and benifits etc... I needed a dept that paid well, mostly because of my lifestyle..
    I am a simple woman, however I own a horse and did not want to give him up.

    Your family is going to have to deal with you not being around... mostly mentally as well as physically...

    It took me three years before I was permanant to the point where I can finally take days off etc... after the academy, which for me was in itself 10 months long... and the physical aspect of that wasnt too bad, however the studying and the materials were so much that nothing else was in my life.

    talk to your family and find out what they need or want from you.
    If they support you going and doing this... then I would start researching depts.. You do have them to consider and not just yourself and in my class over half that started ended up divorced. The divorce rate is really high.

    Because of your family, I would make this a group effort and really listen to what they say as well.

    If this job isnt in your heart... I see too many who lose patience after such a short time, end up in trouble and fired.
    You have to be able to take all the verbal abuse and laugh and not let it get to you at all... sometimes it can wear you down.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

    We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

    An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

    His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

  19. #19
    Twan007's Avatar
    Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-14-07
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    821464
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna_b_trooper View Post
    Thanks for all the advice from BigDawg3533, Beans, lewisipso, and PDawg.. extremely helpful. Two replys were short sided and not very helpful. If you can understand that after 21 years in the Army (where Ive faced many dangers just like you LEOs) that this is a MAJOR career change that affects not only me, but my family and it takes enormous thought and consideration. So, advice like, and I quote "If you have to ask, youre not ready" is extremely sophomoric.
    The reason I want to be an trooper is because from what I see from the outside looking in at the LSP is that they are motivated, disciplined, and follow a chain of command similiar to the military. I want to remain in a uniform for the rest of my life and the LSP seems like it fits the bill.
    To all you LEOs out there be careful your family looks forward to seeing you tonight.
    Ok first off I'm not going to even attempt to defend myself... my point stands... being that you have a military past what would you say if I came and asked you "How do I know if the military is for me?"

    since my sophomoric reply must not have given you any insight into anything... one thing you must remember is no matter what your history is... you'll be the newbie... starting over, and have to earn some respect... kinda like posting on a site for the first time and not engaging in any conversations before asking a question like that... and ya think cops (who, by their very nature, question everything) aren't gonna be dismissive?

    I probably get 50 stupid questions a night (not saying yours is stupid)... from "is this road blocked off" when my lights are on and I'm sitting in the middle of a lane =/ to "excuse me officer, we just saw this bunny rabbit get run over, can you point us to the closest vet?" - asked after I pulled him over for blasting through a stop sign (almost hitting my unit) and speeding...

    now, another point... cops are funny (at least in our own minds), we crack jokes on each other, we play practical jokes with each other, we make fun of stupid criminals, we poke fun at politicians, hell... we poke fun at ourselves... that's just the nature of the beast, and I'm sure you and your unit were about the same way...

    now, getting an answer out there that is somewhat more in depth than the previous one, but was supposed to be more concise than this is turning out to be...
    LSP is a great organization, tough to get into, but mostly good folks (at least the couple that I know)... assholes... but good folks
    Most of the LE in La. comes with a militaristic feel to it, not trying to persuade you in any way, but don't let that be the only reason you're interested in LE or LSP. What needs to be going on in your head (in an attempt to answer my initial post) is "what do I want to be doing?" If the answer to that is mostly writing wrecks, tickets, and DWI's for the first few years, LSP is the premier for that (had to stab at the troopers for a sec )... LSP gets into some wild stuff though, I learned a lot about specialized divisions while I was working details out at LSP HQ after Katrina, only thing is it takes a while to even start getting consideration for them...

    I'm noticing that this is getting kinda long... drop me a PM if you would like anymore info that I might be able to give

    good luck trying to figure it out
    -=Twan007


    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.





    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

  20. #20
    wanna_b_trooper's Avatar
    wanna_b_trooper is offline "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid"
    Join Date
    04-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    590
    To all who gave me advice after my newbie question yesterday, I return with my hat in hand and sincere apology to Rhino and Twan007. Lets say we start over? And I thought Soldiers were a tough crowd.
    Here is an update. I just returned from a Veteran's job fair in Baton Rouge where I had my app screened by and LSP recruiter. Would you believe that we went to high school together. He graduated in '84 and I in '85. What a small world. Anyways. After he screened my app he sent me to the Louisiana State Police commission to turn in my application. I was initially scheduled to take the cadet exam the last Wednesday in April, but had to defer due to upcoming nose surgery next week. So I will be taking it on 30 May.
    Again thanks to ALL for ALL the advice you gave.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •