Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi There

Pretty Boring Civi is offline Officer First Class

Hi There

Hey folks. I'm just dropping a line to introduce myself. As my username indicates, I'm kinda boring (at least from a law enforcement perspective). I'm a happily married, 36-year-old woman who lives near Washington, D.C. I haven't had very many interactions with police. But one interaction I did have a couple of years ago (before I started weekend grad school while maintaining a full-time corporate job) was a self-defense program at the police academy in Fairfax County, Va.

And let me tell you, that program was such a hoot! It ran two nights a week for two weeks, three hours each night. After some classroom and awareness instruction, we spent all that time in the gym drilling, then the officers dressed up in their Michelin (sp) Men outfits and played out scenarios with us. Now THAT was fun. We got to punch and kick a bunch of guys as hard as we could -- and they were egging us on.

On the last night, they enacted a scenario with each participant individually and video tapped it. Then we all watched the video tapes together, and they gave us feedback. (In case you're wandering, I totally sucked.)

So it turns out, they've been running this same program every month for some seven years. It's completely free and open to any female over the age of 12 who can get there. The two officers who lead the program, as far as I can tell, are volunteering their personal time (although the Michelin Men might get to stay on the clock -- I'm not sure -- but it seems like the least the community could do in return for them subjecting themselves to monthly beatings).

It was loads of fun. Was it effective? I have no idea -- I've never been attacked. But it sure was cool.

So, that's my story of interacting with some LEOs. I might even go back and do it again, now that I've finished grad school.

You probably won't hear from me much on this forum because I might not have much insight to add to the conversation. I'm just here out of respectful curiosity. I do have one question that I'll ask in the appropriate section but, other than that, I'll just listen and learn.

hasta la vista, baby!
    Last edited by Pretty Boring Civi; 07-27-07 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo (I'm an editor. It would KILL me to leave a typo out in cyberspace with my name on it!)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Welcome!

Thanks Jenna.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to LEF, glad to have you here...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Welcome!
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

iso607 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to LEF.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boring Civi View Post
    You probably won't hear from me much on this forum because I might not have much insight to add to the conversation. I'm just here out of respectful curiosity. I do have one question that I'll ask in the appropriate section but, other than that, I'll just listen and learn.

hasta la vista, baby!
    Welcome to the site.

Don't worry about having not much too add to the conversation, the LEO'S here are a nice bunch and like to interact with respectful civilians. Right, Jenna? So don't be afraid to post here.

After all it is their forum and as long as we all play nice, its all good. If one strays and says something stupid, they will not hesitate to point that out, though. Trolls are not tolerated here, either. They are swiftly dealt with.

They come here to unwind and have fun, especially in the chat rooms, unlike some other LEO type forums that I am a member of.

There are a good amount of us civilians here who either work in LE behind the scenes, just curious themselves or like me, who was raised in a LE type family and misses the camaraderie.

You will know who the officers are here, they all have to be verified to join here. It keeps out the imposters. It will say so up by the post count, Supporting Member, location and all that stuff.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Married huh?

Oh well, welcome anyway.
    (Just kidding. Hope you have fun around here. We sure do.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

smokey703 is offline I'm Bi-WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Welcome from La.
    Wise men stand behind me, brave men stand beside me, but only fools stand against me.

The force that propels you to prevail when you are put to a test of survival will be a mindset that refuses to accept nothing but winning.

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to reach out and bitch slap that motherf*cker upside the head.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    to LEF!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thanks for the welcomes!

CTR Man, you saw right through me (well, a lot of you probably did). I'm worried I'll say the wrong thing.

I had not heard of the term troll before I started reading these forums a couple of days ago, but I was pretty sure I didn't want to be one (they're a little unpopular). That being said, however, I was afraid I might be one without realizing it, so I lurked for a couple of days to try and figure out what the culture and norms are here before I posted.

I'm naturally outspoken and opinionated, so I decided that the "listen and learn" approach would be best, given that I don't have an LE background or much understanding of the issues you folks deal with. Basically, I have kind of a sick sense of humor, and I've been known to pop off at the mouth (as my long-suffering, sainted husband would tell you), so I'm gonna be pretty careful until you folks get to know me.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Oh good. Another fun one.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Hello and welcome!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    CTR Man, you saw right through me (well, a lot of you probably did). I'm worried I'll say the wrong thing.
    Don't worry about it. Nobody is perfect. Thats why I Choose To be Right. I try very hard to say and do the right things in life. I have found that there is less trouble that way.

I had not heard of the term troll before I started reading these forums a couple of days ago, but I was pretty sure I didn't want to be one (they're a little unpopular). That being said, however, I was afraid I might be one without realizing it, so I lurked for a couple of days to try and figure out what the culture and norms are here before I posted.

I'm naturally outspoken and opinionated, so I decided that the "listen and learn" approach would be best, given that I don't have an LE background or much understanding of the issues you folks deal with. Basically, I have kind of a sick sense of humor, and I've been known to pop off at the mouth (as my long-suffering, sainted husband would tell you), so I'm gonna be pretty careful until you folks get to know me.
    You are very wise. I did the same exact thing when I joined my first LEO forum. I asked a few questions and waited for the results.

Most LEO'S and those who interact with them have a sick sense of humor. More so the LEO'S for what they have to deal with from the general public on a daily basis. You should fit right in. Just think before you type. Preview your posts before you send them if you think you need to. I do, most of the time.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    hello and welcome
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Welcome from Mississippi! Sit back, read and watch a bit, then jump in with both feet!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Illiy is offline Corporal
    Yo!

Behave yourself, and you will be good... And don't draw attention to the fact that a lot of the men here have the hots for each other...

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to LEF.

I'm innocent as an angel
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    Welcome to LEF.

I'm innocent as an angel

Hi and welcome to LEF!
    Never approach a bull by the front, a horse from behind, or an idiot from any direction.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Howdy and to LEF!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information