Welcome to the APBWeb.
    5shot is offline P&S

Halo Luminous Sight

Put together an article on a plain, simple, cheap and easy-to-use sighting device I came up with, due to problems I was having using my video camera.

Your welcome to add one to your camera/s or gun/s; and at your own risk and expense of course.

Here's a multi-pic that sort of explains it.

Here's a link to the article:
    A caution about self defense use:

Scientific investigations and studies of Police combat cases, have established that sights are not used or may not be able to be used in real close quarters life threat situations. As such, one may not be able to use the Halo sight effectively in such a situation, but it's easier and quicker to use than the sights.

So, if you are a sight shooter and have a gun for self defense, learning how to aim and shoot accurately at close distances without using the sights, and to get comfortable shooting that way, makes sense.

And that could get you into taking the next and logical step of learning a method of threat focused shooting.
    A pistol is not a rifle, so why shoot one that way.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Welcome. An intro thread will help you get a better reception here:

http://apbweb.com/forums/introduce-yourself-2/

Particularly if you are a firearms instructor, cop, or both.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

5shot is offline P&S
    Thanks,

I'll add an intro.

It's seems a bit brash of me to make a "big" first post, but the information, or the idea for the sighting device did just come to mind, and it works.

There has been some movement towards the use of "threat focused shooting methods" for use in gunfights, but not much as far as one can tell from reading on he web.

What one can also tell is that the Police casualty rates of killed and wounded, have stayed just about the same for the past ten years or so.

To me that's unacceptable.

Where are the studies on what works and what doesn't work in CQB.

We do know that Sight Shooting is a failure for use in CQB situations where there is the greatest likely hood of Officers being shot and or killed.

Where's the hew and cry and ACTION for change. Wringing hands and lamenting about this or that, doesn't change stuff.

Where are the Police "unions" and fraternal organizations on this. How about gun makers, and the Feds as well.

The status quo and getting along to go along, and established dogma, are not serving those who go in harms way for us.
    A pistol is not a rifle, so why shoot one that way.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do I need a new holster for the hair curler or does it have a quick detach? Will the detach maintain the 3 foot zero? Is it compatible with the GG&G Accucam quick release?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    what's the problem with the "old fashioned" way of shooting? By that, I mean concentrating on the front sight and pressing the trigger...seems to work fine with me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    what's the problem with the "old fashioned" way of shooting? By that, I mean concentrating on the front sight and pressing the trigger...seems to work fine with me
    Just because it's time and battle tested and proven doesn't mean it's the best way! The Man is keeping down the information that will save us all.

Besides WTF do you know about gunfighting?

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Besides WTF do you know about gunfighting?

HO LY CHIT!!!!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Is this a training aid to be used on the range only? Or do you suggest that this remains a permanent fixture to the firearm?

With Ohio's qualification course you're better off point shooting on almost all but one evolution that does require an aimed shot. I've had no problem obtaining an accurate sight picture and performing well without the aid of an add on to my gun. I guess I make it a point to be as familiar with my firearm as humanly possible.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Is this a training aid to be used on the range only? Or do you suggest that this remains a permanent fixture to the firearm?

With Ohio's qualification course you're better off point shooting on almost all but one evolution that does require an aimed shot. I've had no problem obtaining an accurate sight picture and performing well without the aid of an add on to my gun. I guess I make it a point to be as familiar with my firearm as humanly possible.
    You're not SUPPOSED to use your sites! Sheeesh!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Just got busted stealing one of my wife's hair curlers. She is NOT happy that I went to carving on it. Now what?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Just got busted stealing one of my wife's hair curlers. She is NOT happy that I went to carving on it. Now what?
    Man that's rough. You're probably going to have to use those useless iron sights for a couple months until you can try again when she's not paying attention anymore.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Does it work in the dark?
    How much are they?
    Do you have to have a gunsmith attach it?
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I taped one to my 6 inch boning knife. Now I am cutting faster and no wedge cuts!

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    I taped one to my 6 inch boning knife. Now I am cutting faster and no wedge cuts!

You probably just got lucky with the install, next time you should let a professional do it.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    As per our TOS we do not allow outside links without first getting permission. Your post and sig line has been edited.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information