Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Have you every had any dealings with a Recovery Agent while on duty.

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

7 15.56%
  • YES; They where professionals.

3 6.67%
  • YES; They didnt impress me.

6 13.33%
  • YES; They where Rambo's.

0 0%
  • YES; But after they kicked in a door.

0 0%
  • YES; But after they kicked in the wrong door.

2 4.44%
  • YES; But they where unorginized.

0 0%
  • YES; And I ran them out of town!

1 2.22%
  • NO

23 51.11%
  • I wouldn;t want to.

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional

Post Greetings from RI

Just stopping in to say hi; My name is Mark and I am the owner and operator of Providence County Recoveries. A Private Company located in Providence RI.

I have been a recovery agent for nearly 15 years now. A lot of Officers and the uninformed refer to me as a "Bounty Hunter". This is an antiquated term and implies someone of the Rambo mentality. Kick in the door guns blazing to get the bad guy. Unfortunately this is how innocents get injured or killed.

I do not operate this way and consider myself to be a Professional. I; like other true professionals, refer to my self as a Fugitive Recovery Agent and some go by Bail Enforcement Agents.

I have made over 4,000 arrests spanning 38 States plus Puerto Rico in my 14 plus years. In that time I can honestly say that I have only forced a door one time and that’s because I was on rear containment and by partner had a problem inside.

I use my head and pick the time and place of an apprehension. I am hoping I can help LEO’s under stand what it is we; as Recovery Agents, can and can’t do. If you have any questions or would like some feed back regarding any dealings you have had with Recovery Agents I would love to share my opinion with you.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned

Welcome to LEF, AgentParsons!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to the Forum.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Welcome to LEF.

I don't know a lot about Bail Enforcement Agents, but, I do have a question. I'm sure you've heard this about a million times, and I am NOT being sarcastic when I ask this; it is a honest to God question.

What do you think of "Dog" the Bounty Hunter?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    We've dealt with them before as an agency. Admin's stance is as of this..

"If they have an arrest warrant for one of their people, we'll go pick them up, but they are not standing by or taking the guy. If they are executing anything else, they are on their own."

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Welcome to the forum, AgentParsons!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Hi and welcome to LEF!

Cujo is offline Officer First Class
    Welcome to the jungle!
    Pax
    Cujo

Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    We've dealt with them before as an agency. Admin's stance is as of this..

"If they have an arrest warrant for one of their people, we'll go pick them up, but they are not standing by or taking the guy. If they are executing anything else, they are on their own."
    There in FL only the Surety may re-arrest a principal that failed to appear while on bail. This is a contractual power the Surety has over a Principal.

In FL; or any where else for that matter this is nothing more then a CIVIL MATTER and LEOs should not be involved. I on the other hand will not refuse the assistance of a LEO in the apprehension of a Principal.

The Surety is guaranteed the right under common law to re-arrest; and imprison a Principal that has failed to appear while on bond. Under several Federal Court Rulings; most notable is Taylor v Taintor; USC 18WALL366, a Surety has the right to pursue a Principal into another state, may arrest him on the Sabbath and if necessary break and enter him home for that purpose. This is done with out virtue of new process; none is needed as it is likened to the re-arrest of an escaping prisoner by the Sheriff.

This of course don’t give a BEA the right to go around kicking in doors at will or that of a third party. There is a time to knock on a door and a time to knock in a door.

Unfortunately there are those in our Industry that kick in a door any time they can. These are the ones we want out because they do the most damage to the industry.

A fact is that every year in the United States over 35,000 defendants fail to appear for trial. Of those on average 85% are recaptured and returned to Justice by their Surety or BEA’s and LEO’s only account for about 3% of the Fugitive Arrests.

This is because a LEO don’t have the ability nor resources to chase every single person that has failed to appear. For them to do so they would need to spend ten of thousands of dollars or more every year to chase people in other jurisdictions they have no hope or returning to justice.

We do this act at no cost to the tax payer; it is the Bonding Agent or Insurance Company that pays our fees and Federal Law and Court rulings allow us a wide range of powers to accomplish this act.

Congress is debating a bill that would officially recognize BEA’s as LEO’s. In; I believe it was 97’ the US Congress issued an opinion that BEA’s provide a necessary and irreplaceable service to the Judicial and Criminal System by locating; apprehending and returning a wanted person to Justice and at no cost to tax payers.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    Welcome to the forum..

Being from the UK....we don't have any such private recovery agents...

Our only experience is what we see on satalite tv;
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    What do you think of "Dog" the Bounty Hunter?
    Duane “DOG” Chapman; that is a name that has haunted the industry for many years. He himself is Wanted in MEXICO for jumping bond in the Lester fiasco. He; his sons and the camera crew all swore that if given bail they would remain in Mexico and settle their Kidnapping charges. They where given bail and before the doors at the Jail where closed behind them they where back in the US.

If I where to do half the stuff he has done I’d be in jail for Assault charges or worse. I mean to have a guy standing in front of you fully restrained with his hand cuffed behind his back and being fully compliant then to walk over grab him by the throat pulling him up onto his toes and say “NOW I GOT YOU” is assault plain and simple. If a LEO where to do this they would be a Defendant themselves.

Other things I have seen in his show that makes us look bad is their street brawls. Fights that should never have happened. They search a location for a Principal and rather then leaving the area quickly and quietly they stand around and argue with family members or the public at large until they get into a full blown fight just so they can brag Leland was a former UFC fighter or they can use their pepper spray.

Have you ever noticed that he never surrenders a prisoner to the jails? It’s because as a felon he can’t. They only reason he’s allowed to hunt is because his supposed wife; Beth, is the bonding agent so he’s given a family exemption.

And have you ever heard how he claim’s to have gotten into this field of work? He claims he was arrested for non-payment of child support and the Judge that arraigned him said he would knock x- amount of dollars from, the money Duane owed for every Fugitive he captured and returned to court. That has got to be the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. Any judge that didn’t such a thing would be disbarred.

“DOG” and his pack are more of a danger to the public then they are an asset. A&E has told him to meow out because of the complaints they have received from real Professionals and Bonding Agents.

I for one would love to see that show pulled off the air and all copies of it destroyed never to see the light of day again. A lot of the stuff they do makes us all look bad and we don’t appreciate it when he gives away some of our methods for finding a Fugitive. I picked up a guy recently using a common pre-text phone call to lure him out to have him say it sounded like something he had seen on “DOG” and he couldn’t believe he fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Safety1st
    Welcome to the forum..

Being from the UK....we don't have any such private recovery agents...

Our only experience is what we see on satalite tv;
    Please don't guage us on what you see on that clowns show; he is a danger to our industry and the public at large. He is nothing more then a lime light chasing want to be. Granted he makes some arrests; well he don;t make them; he cant hes a felon, his brother and son's makes them!

The other program we get is:

America's Hardest Bounty Hunters..

A team led by Fred Slack...that look like some sort of wrestling team...

Quote Originally Posted by Safety1st
    America's Hardest Bounty Hunters..
    I've heard of 'American Bounty Hunters' but never 'America's Hardest Bounty Hunters'

I turned down an invitation to be on their show in hte mid 90's but it has long science been off the air here.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Hi welcome to LEF.

Being from the UK we don't have any kind of recovery agents. I expect the situation is the same as all the other private security/ law enforcement related businesses in that they attract cowboy operators which gives the other very professional operations a bad name.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    I've dealt with both clowns and pros.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsons
    I've heard of 'American Bounty Hunters' but never 'America's Hardest Bounty Hunters'

http://www.bravo.co.uk/americashardest/index.html

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    No such agencies exist in Ireland and we also dont have bondsmen, you either have the cash yourself or you stay in jail.

if theres a warrent out for someone we execute them ourselves. Im not apposed to the idea in principle as it is a burden on our time but I also dont like the idea of having too many agencies working in my area. I have customs and thats enough.

I also have Bravo but I kinda figured Dog was a camera-whore and only used because hes a freak.

Interestingly, over 80% of prisoners in Iraq and in Guantanimo were caught by private bounty hunters so the US powers obviously like the arrangement and there must be money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garda
    Interestingly, over 80% of prisoners in Iraq and in Guantanimo were caught by private bounty hunters so the US powers obviously like the arrangement and there must be money in it.
    As I said before there is a time to knock in a door and a time to knock on a door. This would be a case for the former!

A few of us where thinking of heading out that way but I dont have the $$ to spare for the trip. Although my visa to Qatar is still good; expires in 2010! I worked for a US Defense Contractor providing K-9 Protection at one of our Bases in Doha Qatar. Then it was called "SITE FY 90-98" and during the Army ball in 01' it was finally named "Camp As Sailyiah" for the part of town it's in. As Sailyiah (Industrial Area) but most of you would know it as CENTCOMM from the wars. And it is easy to get into Iraq or Afghanistan from there. About a 45 minuet flight to Kuwait and a 30 min drive to Iraq from Kuwait City.

Not that hard to sneak across the border since its a line drawn in the sand!
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Welcome
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information