Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I agree with some kind of mandatory service whether it's military, peace corps, or red cross or some other type of service. Yes I did serve 13 1/2 yrs in the Navy. I enjoyed every minute of it too. Made a lot of good friends and had some fantastic experiences.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    The best memory I have of being in the army is Hungarian TRIM. MMMMMMMMMM....

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by armygrnt502 View Post
    Having served 7 years in the Army, I had the pleasure of serving with soldiers from different countries and lifestyles.

I dont support a draft. As many have mentioned above, it may fill the ranks, but the quality of soldier/sailor/airmen is usually below par.

I do support mandatory service however. Like many European countries (not saying we should be like them), they have mandatory state service. This is not always military service mind you. Military is an option, but if you choose another route, then you have agencies such as the Red Cross that you can work for. This allows those with moral convictions against war to still serve and fullfill their obligations.

This system has been in effect for numerous countries for decades. We as Americans are loathe to impress this upon our peoples, for fear of stepping on their "rights". Just because you are born here should not automatically grant you privledges lock stock and barrel.

+1 There's all kinds you can do to serve your country besides the military. If you don't want to fight, that is perfectly acceptable, but you are going to work one way or another.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

FTL_Ian is offline Professional Iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by AITG View Post
    Freedom isn't free. FTL_Ian obviously enjoys the benefits of that freedom. Asking him ... and all citizens ... to do their part to keep our freedoms isn't being enslaved.
    Problem is you wouldn't be asking. Conscription is FORCING. That's not very neighborly.
    Free Talk Live : Talk Radio YOU Control
    http://freetalklive.com

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    FTL_Ian just doesn't understand...he thinks his citezenship is a birthright, and that simply because he was born on American soil he is entitled.
    I don't want entitlements. You must have me confused with a welfare queen.

IE the right to vote, the right to bring suits in federal and local courts, the right to bloated social programs such as social security and such?
    Better to ask how I became a citizen in the first place. As it turns out, the entire concept is merely a fantasy:

Citizen: member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection

The supreme court has decided over and over that government doesn't owe protection to anyone. Therefore the "agreement" (which I never signed anyway) is null and void. There are no citizens, just the rulers and the ruled.

Why should those who think so little of our country, like FTL_Ian, be able to reap such great rewards?
    I love America and what it stands for: Liberty. I just hate what the people have allowed the government to do to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    compulsory service on the other hand is a good idea maybe 1 year or 2 years tops. that way everyone knows the price of freedom.
    They'd discover the price of freedom is 2 years of slavery!

im pretty sure while Ftl_Ian was in college applying for his goverment student loans he didnt bad mouth his goverment then... I think if you apply for any kind of goverment student loan you have to repay it with some type of service.
    I don't go to the government for anything. They can keep the money they've stolen from me. I don't ask highwaymen for favors.

when you are nice and safe in your radio booth bad mouthing the goverment remember that there are folks out there dying so you can have that right. i proudly served my ten years in the military where were you Ftl_Ian ?
    I would have been a kid being indoctrinated by government schools at the time. Also, men have rights by birth and the US Military does not fight for rights, they fight for the whims of politicians - most of whom have never been in the military. Here are the thoughts of a Vietnam vet on the subject:
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/reed/reed116.html

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I think if ian was drafted it would be a good idea.....if he got out of it, it would be a bad idea..........
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    ok here goes, i don't support the draft, i think if the USA does that, we will have to put walls up around Canada to keep all the dodgers out, it would be like tme Mexicans trying to get into the states and giant taco bell commercial"make a run for the border". As fo mandatory service I agree with Sgtkelly, to me it means service to your country-garbage man,working at homeless shelters, seniors complexes.Any govt(state,county.municipal,fe d) job that helps better society or keep it on a even keel. Most kids graduated high school at 18(unless your in the south and then they just don;t,lolol, just kidding) so let thek serve their country for a year get some valuable life experiance and then head off to college. It's amazing what 1 year can do for maturity. Also if they want to serve by going into EMS,LEO/CO, any essential service then they should get a break from it as they are making it a career. So if they graduate high school and get hired into essential service obviousley they are serving there country.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

zone4_car is offline Remember, the eyes of the world are upon you
    Im totally against the draft. But I think just as some others here do that there should be mandatory service for everyone when they turn 18. I believe it would give structure and discipline to these dumbass teenagers we constantly deal with. My wife is totally againist my son going into the military. Me, I think Ill leave that decision to him.
    WAR IS AN EVIL THING, BUT TO SUBMIT TO THE DICTATION OF OTHER STATES IS WORSE...
    FREEDOM, IF WE HOLD FAST TO IT, WILL ULTIMATELY RESTORE OUR LOSSES...
    BUT SUBMISSION WILL MEAN PERMANENT LOSS OF ALL THAT WE VALUE...
    TO YOU WHO CALL YOURSELVES MEN OF PEACE...
    I SAY: YOU ARE NOT SAFE UNLESS YOU HAVE MEN OF ACTION ON YOUR SIDE...

--THUCYDIDES

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    There is always Canada; please.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

I see it's still going...

When I was serving in IRAQ a fellow NCO said that sometimes he wished he was in the NAVY, "SUBMARINES." Although I bet being under water really sucks at times too.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    mandatory community service of some sort would be fine, especially if one could choose what type of work to do, but mandatory military service... only in the event of a world war (or major attack against the US) would that seem appropriate to me...
    Last edited by General Patten; 01-07-07 at 05:19 AM.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

General Patten turning green, Someone pissed in his canten.

PersiusOne is offline Patrol Monkey
    I agree with mandatory state service, but not a lottery style draft for military service.

AND since nobody else is going to bring it up, I'm going to throw this one in the grinder: Immigration preference for those who serve first? ..Sweet, problem solved. I can think of about 11 million people who just may be willing to earn their citizenship.

...But really - I still think everyone should serve in one capacity or another. This country is founded on hard work, and like many people have said - freedom is not free, far from free.

I suppose the question becomes - if an all voluntary military is too full of "ethnic minorities and people from low income families", would a draft be the answer? ...I'm all for finding out
    The opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency, Police Chief, or any other member or employee of my department or municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by bmf95b View Post
    General Patten turning green, Someone pissed in his canten.
    dammit, is that why its yellow and nasty? I thought it was getting rusty in there... someones gettin smacked for this....

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."

Just kidding...

lol i know

Bueno; Amigos......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information