Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY

What do you think of the draft?

I read on military dot com that congress wants to bring back the draft next year. They say that the all voluntary military actracts ethnic minorities and people from low income families. I spent five years active duty in the ARMY 1999/2004 and I don't regret it one bit. I support the draft what do you all think.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    How would you have felt serving those 5 years with people that didn't want to be there, complained all the time and had poor performance (when your life depends on it).

I never served but I can understand both sides of the issue.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    I hate the idea. I am raising my kids the way I was raised: You have a choice between college or the military, but once you turn 18, you will either support yourself or someone else will support you. Get out! You are welcome to come visit, but I'm not wiping your ass any more. The draft is bullshit because it would force people to do what they do not want to do. I believe in choices. Everything in life should offer at least two choices. The draft offers no choices. When you force someone to do something with no alternative choice, that leads to disdain, hatred for those in power, and eventually chaos and anarchy. Read a history book and look at the chapter called "The Fucked Up Sixties" if you think I'm wrong. If they do it again, it will be worse this time because we will now have SOBER, WELL-EDUCATED revolutionaries instead of stoned idiots burning things. Scary.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I think every able-bodied American male should be required to serve two years active-duty or six years National Guard/Reserve upon graduating high-school. That kind of sacrifice for the good of the nation would make us a much stronger society.

But I hate the idea of a lottery-system draft where some get picked and some don't.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    I am all for compelled service, much like in Israel. EVERYBODY serves, male and female. You might get called to combat, you might not. But you learn what it takes to keep this great nation free....FYI I enlisted right out of high school....so I am not asking others to do what I would not have...

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Well in my opinion the draft is a real bad idea for any reason short of world war when the United State's soil is actually physically threatened and not a big government agenda. The price of oil is not being physically threatened and if they view that way it is time to move on to alternative resources.

I have been a republican all my life and I see the good and the bad that comes from both sides, the war in Iraq will continue for a long time unless the demos step in just to prove a point and pull the military.

I say this, unless we are getting invaded or their is talk of us getting invaded hell no, I will never support a draft.

Edited to add: 4yr full time Army vet right out of high school. And the idea of all serving 2 yrs in the Military is fine by me, that is still not a draft.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

AlDeputy is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Having served 16 years in the Army, I don't like the idea of a lottery draft either, but I also think each person (man or woman) should serve either in the military service or some type of non military service for 2 years once they turn 18.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDeputy View Post
    Having served 16 years in the Army, I don't like the idea of a lottery draft either, but I also think each person (man or woman) should serve either in the military service or some type of non military service for 2 years once they turn 18.
    I actually think this would improve society as a whole more than anyone could even understand!!
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Arkansas is offline Razorback
    I've never been in the military, and I do not support a draft. Interestingly, only those who were in the military have replied in support of it. When I was in college I did want to undertake ROTC and be an officer in the army. In the end, however, I had no idea what I wanted to do with life, and I still don't. To that end, I declined military service, but I did finish college. I have also eye balled OCS since then. Now, I have no desire to do it. I remember the subject coming up (conscription) when I was gung ho in favor of joining up, but even then I didn't support the idea of a draft. It's not right to force someone into a position like that and expect them to do well. Whoever mentioned the sixties is correct. I think the same would occur today as well but in a much more heated sense. I support the military, and I'm thankful it's there. It's just not an option I want on my plate today. You can hate me for it or think less of me for it. I don't care. You offered your opinion, and now I have offered mine.

Cheech Guest
    Im against it. Sorry, Its my life, If I dont want to I wont do it. I tried serving, they cleared me and sent me to Bootcamp, I passed bootcamp and went to AIT. Shortly before I was to graduate I get booted, I have a severe deviated septum So I got booted. So Im against the draft. There is also no need for a draft what so ever, In my opinion I dont even think we need to be in the middle east right now either.

Hooah.... NCO's lead from the front.

JohnnyLaw76 is offline Rookie
    I don't think you're going to get very good soldiers if you force them to do it. I wouldn't want to fight along side someone who really didn't want to be there if my life were in their hands. I just can't imagine what it would be like to be on duty with the same people who have protested the war.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas View Post
    Interestingly, only those who were in the military have replied in support of it.
    FYI, I said I was against it and I served eight years total (Guards and RA). Thirteen confirmed kills in Operation Desert Storm. "First to go, last to know." Hoooaaah!

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    I'm not for a draft, but I am for compulsory service to your country. It doesn't have to be military either. I served 4 years and loved every minute up until dickhead, er I mean President Clinton started raping the military. I'd probably have stayed if he hadn't. I got to fast rope from helo's and shoot alot of ammo(most of it at people), shop at the PX and have free medical when gravity proved that I was NOT superman. Sometimes I miss it so much it hurts.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I have to agree that I'm not for the draft, but compulsory service might have some merit to it. I know that as a society we probably could benefit simply from having the training and ethical background instilled from service. Being a minister I know a little bit about service, though I never went to the armed forces. My family at the time wouldn't stand for it and thought I should be a doctor. Boy, did I fool them.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Representative Charles Rangel (D-NY) to introduce bill to reinstitute the draft

Taken from a previous post, this nut job Rangle has been introducing this bill for years. I thing a year or so, a Republican introduced Rangle's bill (word for word) and he voted against it. All being being equal, RANGLE IS A NUT CASE and panders the press. He falls in the same catagory at JESSY JERKSON, er, JACKSON, and AL SIMPLETON, er, SHARPTON.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I personally don't like the idea. However, if I were drafted I would go without hesitation. (Just don't let the government see this post! lol)
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Draft = you have to serve your country; military, peace corp, garbage man, hospital, school helper,; there could be a long list. You pick the top three you want and we’ll try to get you in; no guarantee, but if you want to live here you have to earn the right.

All for an American Foreign Legion also.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

I like your answer TOP. Not to many people understand.

FTL_Ian is offline Professional Iconoclast
    The draft, compulsory service, and "national service" are all SLAVERY.

Slavery is wrong and an affront against individual Liberty.
    Free Talk Live : Talk Radio YOU Control
    http://freetalklive.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information