Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Verified LEO

Dover PD, OH Civil Service Exam

First of all, I apologize. I was told that the exact details about the test were in last Sundays paper and I haven't found it. Who knows, maybe it is this upcoming Sunday. I will give as much detail as I can from the last test, and update later with all information needed.

Title of Examination: Police Officer

Date & Time: April 6, 2009 (I will update with time and location)

Applications for Examination: All applicants shall file with the civil service commission, a notarized application for examination no later than (I will find out exactly and update, but am guessing March 27,2009 at 4:00 pm. Applications are available in the Mayor's/Safety Director's Office at Dover City Hall. A $20 fee (it think it is now $25) for the testing shall be paid at the time the employment application is filed with the Civil Service Commission. Those applicants who cannot afford to pay the testing fee may sign a poverty affidavit and submit it along with the employment application to the Civil Service Commission.

Qualifications for Examination and/or Employment: 1. Must citizens of the United States. 2. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless he or she has reached the age of twenty-one (21) prior to the date of appointment. No person is eligible to receive an original appointment when he or she is thirty-five (35) years of age prior to the date of appointment. 3. Applicants must have either graduated from high school, vocational school, or completed a GED successfully. 4. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless they have passed a physical examination given within 120 days by a licensed physician which examiner certifies that the applicant is free of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease and states that the applicant meets the physical requirements necessary to perform the duties of a Police Officer as established by the Dover Civil Service Commission. 5. An applicant, at the time of appointment, must have be a licensed driver with a good driving record and must retain such record at all times. A "good driving record" for the purposes of eligibility only, is defined as having no more than two (2) two-point moving violations or their equivalent within the three (3) preceding years. Conviction of one or more six-point moving violations, any felony traffic violation, or their equivalent, in the previous five (5) years shall all be grounds for disqualification from eligibility. 6. Applicant shall posses a certificate awarded to them by the Executive Director of the Ohio Peace Officers Training Council, attending to his or her satisfactory completion of an approved State of Ohio Basic Peace Officer Training Program (O.R.C. Section 109.772). Any other training that was mandated by legislation of the State of Ohio that is not included in the certificate shall be completed within the time prescribed by the rules promulgated by the Attorney General (O.R.C. Section 109.741). A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE EXAM! 7. An applicant who fails to complete any portion of the selection process shall not be re-tested and shall be disqualified from the current process. Such applicants may re-apply in future advertised civil service exams. 8. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless they pass a psychological examination, a background investigation conducted by the Dover Police Department, a polygraph (lie detector) examination, a drug screen test, and be personally interviewed by the Safety Director and/or Chief of Police.

Length of Eligibility: The eligible list for appointment as Police Officer in the City of Dover shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of the examination. The validity of the eligibility list may be extended for up to one (1) additional year at the discretion of the Dover Civil Service Commission. An eligibility list will be certified containing the names of all candidates having successfully passed both the written examination and the physical fitness test.

Examination Sequence: All applicants must obtain at least a passing score of 70% on the written portion of the examination to be eligible for the physical fitness portion of the examination. The physical fitness portion of the examination will be conducted at a later date, to be announced to the persons passing the written portion of the examination, and graded on a pass/fail basis.

Military Service Credit: Applicant must obtain a passing grade of 70% on the written portion of the examination in order to receive the service credit, and they must pass the physical fitness portion of the examination. Applicants must submit proof of an honorable discharge with their Civil Service application in order to receive 5% credit of the test grade.

Higher Education Credit: Applicant must obtain a passing grade of 70% on the written portion of the examination in order to receive the education credit, and they must pass the physical fitness portion of the examination. A two (2) year degree from an institution of higher education (e.g. a College or University) will entitle the applicant to receive credit of 2.5% of the test grade. A four (4) year degree from an institution of higher education will entitle the applicant to receive credit of 5% of the test grade. (Only one (1) education credit will apply.) Applicants must submit proof of their degree with the Civil Service application in order to receive this credit.

An applicant, upon employment, must comply with the residency requirement of the City of Dover. (within the school district within one year)

An applicant, upon employment, must be able to perform the duties of the position, obey the Rules and Regulations, General Orders, and Policies and Procedures of the Police Department and laws of the State of Ohio.

An applicant will be disqualified from appointment if previously convicted of any crimes of violence, violations of illegal drug activity, and any violations of crimes of theft or corruption as found in the Ohio Revised Code.

An applicant who provides false, inaccurate or incomplete information on the employment application will be subject to immediate disqualification from appointment or termination if appointed.

From what I remember from the last test the physical fitness test was the O.P.O.T.A. requirements. Yes, I agree that they are a little ridiculous, but as far as I know they are on this link:
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/trainin.../50thChart.pdf

Other information:
    The City of Dover lies 80 miles south of Cleveland, OH, 100 miles west of Pittsburgh, PA, and 83 miles north of Marietta, OH. Dover is accessible from I-77 (exit 83) and covers and area of 5.71 square miles and has 70 miles of roadway. The 2007 population was 12, 472 and the Police Department has 22 full time officers and 1 Police Chief.

Benefits: (Sorry, some of this may have changed a little since last contract and I will update, if needed, when back to work this weekend)
    1. 2009 pay rate for Police Officer is $22.67 per hour. 10% less for new hire during first 6 months, 5% less during second 6 months.
    2. Minimum shift manning.
    3. Scheduled "long weekends" (4 consecutive days off) determined by seniority on each shift.
    4. Minimum 2 hrs overtime pay for emergency call-in and court appearances. 3 hrs overtime pay for court appearances if working midnight shift.
    5. 7 paid holidays at 1.5 times regular rate. 3 paid holidays at 2 times regular rate.
    6. 2 personal days in a 12 month period
    7. 2 weeks paid vacation; 3 weeks at 6 yrs; 4 weeks at 13 years; 5 weeks at 18 years, 6 weeks at 23 years
    8. Uniform clothing allowance $850 for new hire, $750 thereafter per year
    9. Sick leave earned at 4.6 hrs per 80 hours worked
    10. Longevity pay
    11. Hospitalization insurance $35 single, $70 family
    12. Life insurance policy $17,000
    13. Shift differential $.25 for afternoons, $.35 for midnights
    14. On the job injury leave: 30 consecutive calendar days
    15. Bargaining unit: Fraternal Order of Police/Ohio Labor Council

If anyone would like, please PM me with email address and I will send a copy of the application. I worry about this slightly because one of the applications are on yellow legal size paper, but would be glad to send information to you.

Verified LEO
    UPDATED and corrected 03/06/09

Title of Examination: Police Officer

Date & Time: April 6, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Applications for Examination: All applicants shall file with the civil service commission, a notarized application for examination no later than March 31,2009 at 4:00 pm. Applications are available in the Mayor's/Safety Director's Office at Dover City Hall. A $20 fee for the testing shall be paid at the time the employment application is filed with the Civil Service Commission. Those applicants who cannot afford to pay the testing fee may sign a poverty affidavit and submit it along with the employment application to the Civil Service Commission.

Qualifications for Examination and/or Employment: 1. Must citizens of the United States. 2. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless he or she has reached the age of twenty-one (21) prior to the date of appointment. No person is eligible to receive an original appointment when he or she is thirty-five (35) years of age prior to the date of appointment. 3. Applicants must have either graduated from high school, vocational school, or completed a GED successfully. 4. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless they have passed a physical examination given within 120 days by a licensed physician which examiner certifies that the applicant is free of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease and states that the applicant meets the physical requirements necessary to perform the duties of a Police Officer as established by the Dover Civil Service Commission. 5. An applicant, at the time of appointment, must have be a licensed driver with a good driving record and must retain such record at all times. A "good driving record" for the purposes of eligibility only, is defined as having no more than two (2) two-point moving violations or their equivalent within the three (3) preceding years. Conviction of one or more six-point moving violations, any felony traffic violation, or their equivalent, in the previous five (5) years shall all be grounds for disqualification from eligibility. 6. Applicant shall posses a certificate awarded to them by the Executive Director of the Ohio Peace Officers Training Council, attending to his or her satisfactory completion of an approved State of Ohio Basic Peace Officer Training Program (O.R.C. Section 109.772). Any other training that was mandated by legislation of the State of Ohio that is not included in the certificate shall be completed within the time prescribed by the rules promulgated by the Attorney General (O.R.C. Section 109.741). A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE EXAM! 7. An applicant who fails to complete any portion of the selection process shall not be re-tested and shall be disqualified from the current process. Such applicants may re-apply in future advertised civil service exams. 8. No applicant shall be eligible for appointment unless they pass a psychological examination, a background investigation conducted by the Dover Police Department, a polygraph (lie detector) examination, a drug screen test, and be personally interviewed by the Safety Director and/or Chief of Police.

Length of Eligibility: The eligible list for appointment as Police Officer in the City of Dover shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of the examination. The validity of the eligibility list may be extended for up to one (1) additional year at the discretion of the Dover Civil Service Commission. An eligibility list will be certified containing the names of all candidates having successfully passed both the written examination and the physical fitness test.

Examination Sequence: All applicants must obtain at least a passing score of 70% on the written portion of the examination to be eligible for the physical fitness portion of the examination. The physical fitness portion of the examination will be conducted at a later date, to be announced to the persons passing the written portion of the examination, and graded on a pass/fail basis.

Military Service Credit: Applicant must obtain a passing grade of 70% on the written portion of the examination in order to receive the service credit, and they must pass the physical fitness portion of the examination. Applicants must submit proof of an honorable discharge with their Civil Service application in order to receive 5% credit of the test grade.

Higher Education Credit: Applicant must obtain a passing grade of 70% on the written portion of the examination in order to receive the education credit, and they must pass the physical fitness portion of the examination. A two (2) year degree from an institution of higher education (e.g. a College or University) will entitle the applicant to receive credit of 2.5% of the test grade. A four (4) year degree from an institution of higher education will entitle the applicant to receive credit of 5% of the test grade. (Only one (1) education credit will apply.) Applicants must submit proof of their degree with the Civil Service application in order to receive this credit.

An applicant, upon employment, must comply with the residency requirement of the City of Dover. (within the school district within one year)

An applicant, upon employment, must be able to perform the duties of the position, obey the Rules and Regulations, General Orders, and Policies and Procedures of the Police Department and laws of the State of Ohio.

An applicant will be disqualified from appointment if previously convicted of any crimes of violence, violations of illegal drug activity, and any violations of crimes of theft or corruption as found in the Ohio Revised Code.

An applicant who provides false, inaccurate or incomplete information on the employment application will be subject to immediate disqualification from appointment or termination if appointed.

From what I remember from the last test the physical fitness test was the O.P.O.T.A. requirements. Yes, I agree that they are a little ridiculous, but as far as I know they are on this link:
    Ohio Attorney General - Send Us An Inquiry

Other information:
    The City of Dover lies 80 miles south of Cleveland, OH, 100 miles west of Pittsburgh, PA, and 83 miles north of Marietta, OH. Dover is accessible from I-77 (exit 83) and covers and area of 5.71 square miles and has 70 miles of roadway. The 2007 population was 12, 472 and the Police Department has 22 full time officers and 1 Police Chief.

Benefits: (Sorry, some of this may have changed a little since last contract and I will update, if needed, when back to work this weekend)
    1. 2009 pay rate for Police Officer is $22.67 per hour. 10% less for new hire during first 6 months, 5% less during second 6 months.
    2. Minimum shift manning.
    3. Scheduled "long weekends" (4 consecutive days off) determined by seniority on each shift.
    4. Minimum 2 hrs overtime pay for emergency call-in and court appearances. 3 hrs overtime pay for court appearances if working midnight shift.
    5. 7 paid holidays at 1.5 times regular rate. 3 paid holidays at 2 times regular rate.
    6. 2 personal days in a 12 month period
    7. 2 weeks paid vacation; 3 weeks at 6 yrs; 4 weeks at 13 years; 5 weeks at 18 years, 6 weeks at 23 years
    8. Uniform clothing allowance $950 for new hire, $750 thereafter per year
    9. Sick leave earned at 4.6 hrs per 80 hours worked
    10. Longevity pay after 84 months of service
    11. Hospitalization insurance $45 single, $90 family
    12. Life insurance policy $17,000
    13. Shift differential $.25 for afternoons, $.35 for midnights
    14. On the job injury leave: 30 consecutive calendar days
    15. Employee may elect to receive compensatory time in lieu of payment for any overtime hours worked to a maximum of 80 hours.
    16. Bargaining unit: Fraternal Order of Police/Ohio Labor Council

If anyone would like, please PM me with email address and I would be glad to send a .pdf copy of the application.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Whats up brother,
    I am coming in tonight to pick up the packet when i get to work, I picked up New Phila's packet yesterday.

Is your agility test the same as Phila's?

Thanks for keeping us posted!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Verified LEO
    Hey! I am not out tonight, but will be back tomorrow. Stop in and they will hook you up.
    I believe they are the same. I have not heard that they changed it from OPOTA requirements. It sucks, if it still is, but they are as follows.

OHIO PEACE OFFICER BASIC TRAINING PROGRAM
    PHYSICAL FITNESS REQUIREMENTS
    Age and Gender Minimum Scores

Males (<-29)
    Sit-ups (1 min) 40
    Push-ups (1 min) 33
    1.5 Mile Run 11:58

Females (<-29)
    Sit-ups (1 min) 35
    Push-ups (1 min) 18
    1.5 Mile Run 14:15

Males (30-39)