Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    Heaven forbid they get a few people with experience. Why don't they just go hang out at the high school and recruit the football team.....send them to a six month academy and put them on the street. I feel safer already. OH, I forgot about the two years in college where they learn how to drink beer from a hose, and run around the dorm in their underwear trying to remember where they hid the bong...........
    I don't drink beer and I've never ran around anywhere the dorm in my underwear. I've been two busy working two jobs at two different police departments to make it through college so I can actually have the chance to get a job with a department when they are getting 200+ applications for one position.

I hope when I find a department I will have someone with the wisdom to teach me what I need to know to stay alive and not the shit they tell me in the academy. And I know to shut my mouth and open my ears, for errrrr, about the first 10 years I'm there.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009 View Post
    I don't drink beer and I've never ran around anywhere the dorm in my underwear. I've been two busy working two jobs at two different police departments to make it through college so I can actually have the chance to get a job with a department when they are getting 200+ applications for one position.

I hope when I find a department I will have someone with the wisdom to teach me what I need to know to stay alive and not the shit they tell me in the academy. And I know to shut my mouth and open my ears, for errrrr, about the first 10 years I'm there.
    I'm sure if you keep up those work ethics, and actually do listen to the ones you should, (and believe me, you'll know who to learn from and who to stay as far away as possible from within a very short time), you'll make a fine officer. Just remember that most of what people think a police officer does is not the case. Depending on where you are, you'll get your hot calls and busy nights, but most of what we do is answering calls for service, a lot of which require report writing, and EVERYONE tries to avoid the report writing calls. Learn to do them right the first time, learn to articulate, and remember, it's a report, not a novel.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JSO85360 View Post
    Learn to do them right the first time, learn to articulate, and remember, it's a report, not a novel.
    True..but also remember to keep enough important details in the report so when you go to court two years later you will know and remember what happened, what you did, evidence you found and action you took.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    True..but also remember to keep enough important details in the report so when you go to court two years later you will know and remember what happened, what you did, evidence you found and action you took.
    Will you remember me two years from now???? Just wondering.......
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    It only takes one time of looking like a fool in court to teach someone to write better reports.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information