Welcome to the APBWeb.
    NJDenv1 is offline Communications Officer

California Officers: Advice?

California Officers:
    I'm a Police Dispatcher in New Jersey, finishing my associates degree in Criminal Justice. I am looking into jobs in California, because I have researched an area in North CA (Placer County, about 30 min from Sacramento). I like what I see online and am going to visit the area this summer. Housing seems cheaper than in Jersey, and Law Enforcement, including Dispatchers (my current position) seem to have many openings. Since I am not familiar with hiring procedures on the West Coast, plus since I'm not familiar with the area yet, does anyone have any tips on jobs in North California/job searching/anything I should know on living conditions there before I visit? I'd greatly appreciate any advice/tips. Here in Jersey I dispatch police, fire, and first aid. I'm also an EMT, and am bilingual (english-spanish). My goal is to go from dispatcher to police officer eventually. Thanks guys. antnyp85@msn.com or on here.

NptDsp is offline Rookie
    Check out the newest edition of American Police Beat, San Francisco is hiring 911 Call Takers and Dispatchers with decent salary. Good luck

Ghostrider is offline In search of mud for my turtle
    If you're planning on becoming a PO why not just start looking for PO jobs now?

Agencies are in such a bind trying to find/hire qualified people that it may be a good opportunity for you right now. You may be able to negotiate some kind of relocation expense compensation. I know some agencies are giving up to ten thousand dollar signing bonuses! Many also have education incentives if you are planning on finshing your degree.

I'm in Southern CA so I'm most familiar with agencies down this way. I couldn't tell you what's up with the agencies up north.

Some to check with in southern CA:

LA Sheriff
    Anaheim PD
    Santa Ana PD

Good luck!

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    If you worked in the bay area (ie. San Francisco) you would have to commute at least an hour to two hours minimum in order to afford housing on the salary they pay.

In northern Ca. some areas pay decently and have reasonable housing. Other areas have lousy pay and expensive housing.

Research carefully before you leap. There are some opportunities available, especially if you can obtain employment in a metropolitan area ( greater Sacramento / San Joaquin region) and then commute from a rural area.

The downside is you would have to start as a bottom step dispatcher until you received a Ca POST dispatcher certificate.
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po

NorCal

I know your post is a couple of weeks old, but if you get this it may help. If you are looking to come out here as a dispatcher to start, definitely look into Placer Co. S.O. I know three dispatchers that just left my county to go there and they love it. The problem with most agencies up here as far as P.O. positions, is that many of them aren't sending people through the academy anymore. They are looking mostly for the people that have taken their own time and MONEY and done it themselves. Of course there are some exceptions, Sacramento PD has their own academy. There are a couple extended academy programs, that allow you to work full time and then attend the academy part time at night, typically two to three nights a week and some weekends. This takes about 16 months to do versus the 26 week full time academy. But, if you're doing it on your own, it helps to be able to differ the cost over the time. A couple of other outstanding agencies to look at in the general area are:

Roseville PD
    Rocklin PD
    Elk Grove PD
    Citrus Heights PD

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about the area message me and I'll try to shed some light on it.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

Sgtaircop_one is offline Sergeant
    If your interested in something a bit different, may I recommend the LA Airport Police, they are on a continious hiring. you can check out the pay scale at the city web site. www.cityofla.org or lawa.org
    It's all fun and games, until the police arrive

NJDenv1 is offline Communications Officer
    Thanks for the imput guys! I'll let you all know what happens.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I used to live in Placer County many years ago. Up near Placerville is in the mountains, lots of snow, ect. Pretty close to Lake Tahoe also. It is beautiful there, just a small town.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    I live in Northern Cali, near Chico. Another option for you is to look at getting hired on with a California State University Police Dept. Chico State PD and Humboldt State PD pay very well with great bennies.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Thread Information