Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Serpico107 is offline Rookie

Daytona Beach Police Department Openings

Just wanted to let everyone know that Daytona Beach Police Department is looking to hire people. Starting salary is approximately $15.50 / hr. without any prior experience, military, or college education. Patrol officers work 12 hour shifts - 3 shifts one week, 4 shifts the next -- 8 hours built in OT every month. Probationary period is 1 1/2 years and the benefits are decent. We've got many special units including, but not limited to, canine, swat, motors, bicycle, community policing, marine, CID, crisis negotiation, traffic homicide, DUI, etc.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.ci.daytona-beach.fl.us/po...mentnew_nu.htm

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks.

Jeremy

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico107
    Patrol officers work 12 hour shifts - 3 shifts one week, 4 shifts the next --
    Let's say that during week #1 I work Monday - Wednesday. Does this mean I would have Thursday - Sunday off? Regarding week #2, would I work Monday - Thursday with Friday - Sunday off? Finally, at this point, would I start over again? No, I'm not sworn... just curious. Always stay safe...

PS - please accept my apologies, LongTail, if I have posted this in the wrong forum or against the TOS.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 05-27-06 at 11:05 PM.

this is how the shifts run

week 1
    monday and tuesday -- ON
    wednesday and thursday -- OFF
    friday-sunday -- ON

week 2
    monday and tuesday -- OFF
    wednesday and thursday -- ON
    friday - sun -- OFF

every other weekend you get off...not a bad gig..... basically every 2 weeks you work 7 shifts.....so you only end up working half the year...not many people can say that!

Jeremy

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO

week 1
    monday and tuesday -- ON
    friday-sunday -- ON

week 2
    friday - sun -- OFF

every other weekend you get off...not a bad gig..... basically every 2 weeks you work 7 shifts.....so you only end up working half the year...not many people can say that!

Jeremy

Same way our's is scheduled. I love the shifts.

I wouldn't work in Daytona though. B.C.R., Bike Week... Those event's attract too many assholes for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    Same way our's is scheduled. I love the shifts.

I wouldn't work in Daytona though. B.C.R., Bike Week... Those event's attract too many assholes for my liking.

true but bcr was really quiet this year...there was barely anyone here...i guess they're all going to texas and miami-dade now

spring break wasn't bad either...there wasn't that many people here

although the good thing about special events is the OT $$$.....lots of it

this is how the shifts run... basically every 2 weeks you work 7 shifts.....so you only end up working half the year...not many people can say that!
    Yeah, but you only make $15.50/hour... how does one survive on that? It would be impossible. Am I missing something, here?

katiemh Guest

week 1
    monday and tuesday -- ON
    friday-sunday -- ON

week 2
    friday - sun -- OFF

Jeremy

That's what I was assuming y'all did and was going to respond for you... until I saw that your dept says 3 days one week, 4 the other. The 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off makes 5 day, 2 day work weeks. I guess they consider the week to start on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2
    Yeah, but you only make $15.50/hour... how does one survive on that? It would be impossible. Am I missing something, here?
    Welcome to law enforcement, plus the automatic 8 hours of overtime a month raises the salary a slight bit. I think my SO starts at probably about 5k more than Daytona PD.

Quote Originally Posted by katiemh
    Welcome to law enforcement, plus the automatic 8 hours of overtime a month raises the salary a slight bit. I think my SO starts at probably about 5k more than Daytona PD.
    This is way below the poverty level of $18K/year (according to the federal governments standards for 2004)! Don't misunderstand. I knew the money wasn't good, but this is a disgrace.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 05-28-06 at 08:07 PM.

well basic starting salary is around 32,00 - 33,000 .... the first three months of the year are special events like almost every week.....so you'll work 12-16 hrs a day for the whole week sometimes....it definately adds up. its not below any poverty line though....still would be nice to make more.

I guess they consider the week to start on Sunday.
    yes the work week starts on sunday

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO

I only make about $1 more an hour. Total of about $34k a year, estimated. Could be a lot better, but I'm happy with what I do, and I still live in relative comfort.

well basic starting salary is around 32,00 - 33,000 .... the first three months of the year are special events like almost every week.....so you'll work 12-16 hrs a day for the whole week sometimes....it definately adds up. its not below any poverty line though....still would be nice to make more.
    Gotcha! Sorry... didn't mean to imply anything. The numbers just didn't make sense (brain freeze minus the slurpee).

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    same shift/setup as I work as well.......geez we get paid??? Had an argument yesterday with a lady at the "circle k" slurpee...made me think of this from last post, lol and we argued about who got paid more.....I told her she probably did, lol.........but hey.......who does this job for the money anyway?
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    Take home cars?
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Sooo what is the base top pay or say 5 yr pay for a Daytona Beach Cop? Is it close to 50K or not even close...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

eman i'll get some numbers on that for you asap

as for the take home cars sflcop, you'll get one when:

1. you get promoted (sgt, lt, etc)
    2. you get into a special unit (k-9, motors, cid, etc)
    3. your name comes up on the list after being there for a few years

or you could just do what die hard cops do .... buy a crown vic and deck it out haha...no offense to those who have them!

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po
    This is way below the poverty level of $18K/year (according to the federal governments standards for 2004)! Don't misunderstand. I knew the money wasn't good, but this is a disgrace.
    Maybe I'm missing something, $15.50 an hour times 80 hours is $1240 times the typical 26 pay periods a year is $32,240. Well above the poverty level, not much, but above. The thing to remember here is, none of us became cops to get rich.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by timatoe127
    The thing to remember here is, none of us became cops to get rich.
    Of course I haven't ever turned down a raise either.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

you can actually make decent money in some places/positions down here ... average starting salary for boca raton is like 70,000 or 80,000 ... of course you have to look at cost of living

if you move up in the ranks, chiefs and sheriffs can make decent money as well.....i.e. the sheriff of manatee county makes about 140,000 a year or so....not bad really!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Dang...am I just well-paid, or is the cost of living really that much higher where I am?

I make, as a starting police officer, on the order of about $43K/year, which breaks down to around $20 an hour. After OT, special events etc., I'll probably clear close to around 50. Merit-based raises every year (everyone gets one, but your annual review determines your percentage). Raises for certain positions (FTO, bike, shift corporal, Police Officer II/III, etc) I am in no means a higher-paid department...there are some that start around 50K etc. But the COL out here varies literally street to street, block to block, so finding a good place isn't too tough most of the time. What's a gallon of gas where everyone else is? I pay about 2.69 for regular unleaded. Bleh.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Thats what has me concerned about moving to Fla. I started at $38,000. THis year Iam at $45,900 and in 3 years I will be at $65,000 BASE. Even more as our contract is up this year. My townhome cost me $134,000 and its in a great school district. Gas is 2.75 or so. Taxes on my crib are 2,700...
    If I could make 50-60K in FLorida I would be ok. Plus the hurricane threat... Hmmmmm...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information