Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Chadwick is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    07-27-06
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Advice on out of state PD's

    Hello, I have been currently doing alot of research on PD's im going to start putting in applications for. I've been finding places out of state since right now its almost impossible to get a LE job in Michigan. I have narrowed it down and if anyone could give me some advice on if they heard good things about any the of the departments, or advantages or disadvantages to work at any of these, thanks alot much appreciated, the list is

    Boulder Colorado PD
    Los Angeles Sherrifs Department
    Las Vegas Metro Department
    Nashville Metro Department
    New York State Police

    if anyone has any other suggestions for other PD's I should look into would be good to, im looking to start in a bigger city where I can gain experience fast. Thank you

  2. #2
    Resident Smart Ass's Avatar
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    06-05-06
    Location
    Once a New Yawker, Always a New Yawker
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    1532847
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    Hello, I have been currently doing alot of research on PD's im going to start putting in applications for. I've been finding places out of state since right now its almost impossible to get a LE job in Michigan. I have narrowed it down and if anyone could give me some advice on if they heard good things about any the of the departments, or advantages or disadvantages to work at any of these, thanks alot much appreciated, the list is

    Boulder Colorado PD
    Los Angeles Sherrifs Department
    Las Vegas Metro Department
    Nashville Metro Department
    New York State Police

    if anyone has any other suggestions for other PD's I should look into would be good to, im looking to start in a bigger city where I can gain experience fast. Thank you
    NYPD...they need people badly
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

    You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.


    FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS



    A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON



  3. #3
    nitestokker's Avatar
    nitestokker is offline Banned
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    The I-80 corridor, Meth Alley.
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    0
    Stay out of Boulder unless you like weed-smokin', soldier-hatin', God-smearin', multi-sexual, Bush-bashers. That is one WIERD town! Don't know squat about the rest. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Just KC's Avatar
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Join Date
    06-07-06
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    2,403
    Rep Power
    470209
    I am near LASD. My next door neighbor is an LASD Sheriff. Keep in mind there are MANY stations within LA Sheriff. You definitely gain experience in LA lol I hear it is a great place to start and they are hiring. I believe they have a pretty large sign-on bonus too. Cost of living here just sucks though...so something to keep in mind. Riverside Sheriff is hiring like crazy and may be a place to start if you are considering coming to CA. Get foot in the door and then move elsewhere if you want. Good Luck!
    **********************
    ~Karie

    "I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

  5. #5
    Chadwick is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    07-27-06
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks guys for the responses, just curious KC, how much are departments in a nice neighborhood there? I was also looking into Santa Monica PD

  6. #6
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    DC metro. And they are VERY good with out of state applicants. You do need 60 college credits to apply though.

  7. #7
    nitestokker's Avatar
    nitestokker is offline Banned
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    The I-80 corridor, Meth Alley.
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    0
    If you're willing to live out here in "No Man's Land", the bennies are nice. Pay sucks (about 12-15 to start) but places like North Platte, NE are giving a $5,000 sign-on bonus for a three year contract. The schools are nice and you can get a decent two-bedroom house for $400/month. Something to think about.

  8. #8
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329



    LOL I love this patch.

  9. #9
    AGalCop's Avatar
    AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    Join Date
    05-25-06
    Location
    California
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    4603737
    You can check out Fresno P.D. We are always hiring. Little over 1/2 million population, crime rate is pretty high. So if you want a fast crazy ride, come on over! http://www.fresno.gov/fpd/

  10. #10
    Just KC's Avatar
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Join Date
    06-07-06
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    2,403
    Rep Power
    470209
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    Thanks guys for the responses, just curious KC, how much are departments in a nice neighborhood there? I was also looking into Santa Monica PD
    ??? What do you mean by "how much are departments in nice neighborhood"?? Do you mean apts? lol Sorry...confused lol
    **********************
    ~Karie

    "I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

  11. #11
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130329
    MPDC, Prince Georges county Maryland, Montgomery county Maryland all hire a lot of officers. You can apply online to all three.

  12. #12
    nitestokker's Avatar
    nitestokker is offline Banned
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    The I-80 corridor, Meth Alley.
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    0
    Probably talking about the pay to cost-of-living ratio. That is very important when you apply for any job................

  13. #13
    Chadwick is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    07-27-06
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Oops yea sorry about that, ment apartments not departments, Thanks again for all the responses again, glad i stumbled along this site, lots of helpful people =), I currently just finished my semester with 60 credits and around 3.4 gpa, was thinking about just going 2 more years and finishing my bachelors but not sure how much difference it makes in law enforcement.

    And yea saving is a big deal to me, just want to make sure I join a PD where I can pay bills with no problem and keep a little saved up off to the side.

  14. #14
    MisterK's Avatar
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Join Date
    12-14-05
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    445
    Rep Power
    667596
    I can give info on Vegas Metro... PM any questions...
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

    ____________________

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  15. #15
    Just KC's Avatar
    Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Join Date
    06-07-06
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    2,403
    Rep Power
    470209
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    Oops yea sorry about that, ment apartments not departments, Thanks again for all the responses again, glad i stumbled along this site, lots of helpful people =), I currently just finished my semester with 60 credits and around 3.4 gpa, was thinking about just going 2 more years and finishing my bachelors but not sure how much difference it makes in law enforcement.

    And yea saving is a big deal to me, just want to make sure I join a PD where I can pay bills with no problem and keep a little saved up off to the side.

    *****Apt's out here run about $1200 a month...and can go on up to $1500. Mind you I haven't had to rent one for about 7 years now, but I believe that is about right.
    **********************
    ~Karie

    "I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

  16. #16
    s10ryan's Avatar
    s10ryan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    07-08-06
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    425
    im pretty much willing to move to to get a position...im even trying in OH.
    ive been invited by many many KY depts but i only have 56 credit hours

  17. #17
    bayern's Avatar
    bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-19-06
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    1392798

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by njpd
    NYPD...they need people badly
    Their requirements are very strict.

    Pay $25,000 to start
    Height and Weight: Have some
    Education: 120 hrs
    Convictions: Oh well, boys will be boys (or gals)
    Physical tests: Well, some got the ability, some don't, but no problem. (they will work with you)
    Ag: 21
    IQ: about the sameMake sure you put stupid stuff on MYFACES, or other blogs.

  18. #18
    s10ryan's Avatar
    s10ryan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    07-08-06
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    425
    25k forget that........i'd make more at the county jail

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Data on 64,000 Ohio state workers stolen
    By BEB in forum In the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-07, 12:49 AM
  2. NY State Troopers Shot (one was killed)
    By Resident Smart Ass in forum Officer Down
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-07, 05:29 PM
  3. The sad state of the Oregon State Police
    By Jackalope in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-07, 01:15 PM
  4. Trooper Jonathan K. Leonard, Kentucky State Police
    By Jackalope in forum Officer Down
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-06, 11:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •