Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: I am Pissed

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

I am Pissed

Recived this clip from a "friend" It is pretty long,BUT,I would like some ,other than me ,to view it,and see if they can find the faults in it.I got to about 10,It concerns the possible(probable in some cases) seizure of weapons during Katrina.Supposedly from the NRA.Dont bother,I checked Snopes and they dont have it YET.I worked Katrina,siezed 1-one-uno,handgun ,from a guy in a gas line,when he got his gas and was ready to go ,it was returned to him(empty,and the ammo in a sealed envelope).Opinions PLEASE.
    http://www.nraila.org/Multimedia/MMP...et.aspx?ID=105

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm currently watching this video, and at this point I'm not 100% positive why they were supposedly taking peoples guns.

Can anyone shed some light on if this was a huge misunderstanding, a gross breach of these peoples rights, fake cops, or people who did something wrong and are now trying to play victim?

But the first woman that was interviewed had it coming. Sorry old lady, but the last place to keep a gun when your in contact with the police is in your hand. I'm sure there's more to the story on why the police were at her house...but come on, you're surprised that you got your ass handed to you while your holding a gun during a law enforcement contact?

Give me a break.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well this is the subject that got me in trouble on the only other board I ever joined. I applauded the confiscation on only one front and boy did they let me have it. I'll do it here and see what happens.
    There were numerous homes that were left abandonded with firearms left in them. Many officers went house to house and confiscated those weapons. I agreed with that completely and still do. Had those weapons and those weapons only been left in place there is no telling how many more armed looters the officers would have had to confront.
    The returning of legally owned weapons, as reported, was practically non existant even with proof. No way, no shape, no how. If it is legally owned it should have been given back. Again "as reported". I was not there nor allowed by my agency to be one to go.
    I can only imagine the fear felt by the officers left to serve and protect and the full confiscation in the aftermath probably would have had something to do with it. I do not believe in the confiscation of legally owned properly supervised weapons. Unfortuately these circumstances were out of the box. I find it difficult to understand how a legal law abiding citizen could protect themselves without their firearms. However, why would anyone leave an unsecured weapon lying around. If you were patroling and saw a firearm lying in the middle of the street would you pass it by?
    Now before anyone jumps me about the right to bear arms make sure you understand my position and what I'm saying. That's what happened on the other forum and they refused to even try to get it no matter how I explained it. Unsecured abandonded firearms even in homes. I'm sure there are several views and opinions to this issue and it has been a hot button for some time.
    And I'll bet that lady will put the gun down next time and deal with the situation better.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Actually I see exactly where you are coming from Lewisipso. The part about stopping people and taking them at gun point is just goose stepping crazy. It seems that all the finer points of martial law were instituted minus the immediate execution of looters. It is a pity too, by the looks of the video there were a lot of people there that could have been of some use in that regard.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I agree, unattended weapons should be taken for safekeeping not confiscated. They should also be cataloged and booked properly for return to the owners. Taken from people that are saving their shit and getting out that is a no no. Also with all the cops down there from almost every state in the union some will disappear unfortunatly as we know not all cops are as good as we would like. Just my take.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I walked into a bee hive on this other forum. They started with the NRA shit and what have you. I believe I communicated in the wrong fashion which led to the misunderstanding.
    I also think there were some incidents where an armed citizen could have helped there. To just disarm every single person that was contacted....wow. I had a bad connection and could not view all the video but I have seen many variations of it. There is a portion where a person was alleged not to have had his firearms returned to him even with "proper" proof of ownership. Of course this is the media and they may have failed to mention he had no way of proving his own identity. Who knows what the circumstances were. Remember media caters to ratings. If the circumstances hold true that legally armed citizens were being disarmed for the sake of being disarmed then I am not in agreement with that.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information