Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Cop arrests firefighter

Slightly WTF is going on no sound so not really sure

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=233_1203031330
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hmmmm....maybe for not authorizing moving the firetruck out of the lane of traffic?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I personally like having something the size of a firetruck protecting me from traffic on a wreck scene. There must be more to this one.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Wasn't the story posted about this earlier? Kinda interesting to see the video.

Maybe a case of tunnel vision?

**I couldn't find it posted here, but I found the story**

Jury awards $17,500 to fireman arrested at scene of accident
    By Robert Patrick
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/14/2008

Hazelwood Federal court jurors awarded $17,500 on Wednesday to a fire captain arrested by a Hazelwood police officer in a dispute over where a firetruck was parked during a 2003 car crash rescue.

Juror Betsy Vennemann said after the verdict, "We wanted to make a statement that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

Capt. David Wilson won $7,500 in compensatory damages and $10,000 in punitive damages. Jurors, including a nun, said they went easy on the defendant, Officer Todd Greeves, because he has a family and they weren't sure who would pay the bill.
    Jurors hear dispute over arrest of firefighter at scene

Wilson testified that the Robertson Fire Protection District truck was parked in a way to protect rescuers working to free a victim from wreckage along Interstate 270 at McDonnell Boulevard. Advertisement

Greeves ordered that the truck be moved to accommodate passing traffic and arrested Wilson for ignoring him. Wilson was released after 23 minutes and never charged. He sued, claiming civil rights violations that opened him to anxiety and humiliation.

Greeves told the court the truck was creating a hazard and not adding to safety at the scene.

Jurors interviewed after the verdict said their feeling about Greeves was reinforced during the punitive phase of the trial, when they heard there had been other complaints about him. An internal affairs investigation determined that Greeves used excessive force in a 2002 arrest, court documents show, and was the subject of several other complaints.

Before Wednesday's deliberations, U.S. Magistrate Judge Mary Ann Medler had already ruled that Greeves had no probable cause to arrest Wilson, who she said had state law on his side. She also dismissed the city of Hazelwood as a defendant.

"The whole police and fire communities have been watching this case," said Bevis Schock, one of Wilson's lawyers. "Everybody wanted to know who controls the fire scene."

Greeves' lawyer, Peter Dunne, said he was disappointed in the verdict and the discussion of the other complaints against Greeves. Dunne also said it was unfair to suggest that Greeves did not care about the firefighters' safety.

Dunne said that the city's insurance would not pay for the costs and that the issue is "complicated." Schock said he thinks the insurance probably would pay the compensatory damages, and possibly the punitive. Also at issue is payment of unspecified lawyers' fees.

Spokespersons for the fire district and Hazelwood police could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I had been taught in several classes when I was a volunteer FF that the Chief fire official on scene has command over an accident scene. I'm not sure if I believe that, or even agree with it at some points.

But regardless of who's "in charge" it really never has been, and never should be an issue.

Common goal folks, common goal.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I wish that video had better audio....
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    That happened here is St. Louis. Been all over the news.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can see exactly what happened,
    He asked the fireman to move the truck as it was probably parked in a live lane and serving no purpose other than blocking another lane.
    The casualty was probably just another "whiplash/$" injury and there was no need for urgent medical attention(looked like other paramedic was there anyway)
    Fireman told the cop to go swivel and cop not unaturaly took offence and swivelled back.

Life is simpler here
    Firemen in charge of fires, we are in charge of everything else.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    I can see exactly what happened,
    He asked the fireman to move the truck as it was probably parked in a live lane and serving no purpose other than blocking another lane.
    The casualty was probably just another "whiplash/$" injury and there was no need for urgent medical attention(looked like other paramedic was there anyway)
    Fireman told the cop to go swivel and cop not unaturaly took offence and swivelled back.

Life is simpler here
    Firemen in charge of fires, we are in charge of everything else.
    I can't watch the video due to being at work, but I will speak my opinion on that.

It wasn't just taking up another lane doing nothing. We use firetrucks to protect all of the repsonders on a scene of an accident. It is a hell of a lot better to have a retarded motorist hit the big ass truck than it is to let same driver hit the responders.

Just use a PD car you say? Nope. The car moves to easily when struck by another vehicle. When a big red truck is struck by a car, well I'm sure you know what happens next.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    all i can say is wow....
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    We have had similar incidents with the local FD never to the point of arrest but same reason.

Our FD believes that they can block not only the lane or lanes involved in the incident but one more just because. I agree that I like having the Engine protecting the scene but sometimes they go to far. Also Law Enforcement is in charge of scene security and therefore has the overall say so in how much of the road is closed.

This case shows that FD was there for medical as a first responder and since there was no active fire WE have the say so.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    I am glad we get along pretty good with the firefighters in my county. That is until we played them in full contact football and beat their asses . But seriously, we do get along pretty well with them.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Bird Dog is offline Road Toad
    I personally don't care how many lanes of traffic are blocked. People can wait

bak407 is offline Butt Sniffer
    Word to big Bird. Let em wait. That gives them plenty of time to get their camera phones ready.
    FTL_Ian saved my career! Now my productivity is up 450%. Thanks FTL_Ian, you worked for me!

Thread Information