Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Laptop Keyboard

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Laptop Keyboard

Alright...so I fixed an issue with my computer (I had to re-solder the charging docking thingy). In the process, you have to take the entire damn thing apart. Done and put back together. However. The plastic bracket/clip thingy that plugs the keyboard into the motherboard broke. I was able to get it all back together (broken bracket and all), but there are four keys on the keyboard that don't work now. (8, p, :, and /) Do you think this is the bracket issue (and if so, where the hell do you get just those little teeny tiny pieces), or an actual keyboard issue since the rest of the keyboard works just fine.

Help!
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    how did you type those letters then? Maybe a USB external keyboard now?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Nah, right now I'm on my desktop.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So here's what I reckon is going on. With the few misbehaving keys all in about the same area of the board, I doubt the interface plug is the faulty connection. Could be, but I'd expect more affected keys. Instead, I'm guessing the fault is more local to that area of the keyboard itself.

What I would do? Since the rest are working I wouldn't take it back apart just yet, instead I would cycle those keys (tap them like a gentle woodpecker on meth a few hundred times each) to displace any dust/grime moved during the repair. If that doesn't work, only then would I take the KB back off and make sure no trace got damaged on the bottom of the KB itself. The local nature of the problem suggests one of those to me. It could be one of the contact points on the ribbon isn't making contact...heck, I know, I'm saying it could be lots of things, just laying them out most to least likely as my personal experience suggests.

If you do take it back apart, pictures of the broken connector may come in handy. Is the connector one like this?

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Aww, don't worry about it, just don't use those keys

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Did you let any smoke out of any components? I used to be an electronic troubleshooter in the Navy and I have found electronic components (resistor, capacitor, IC chip, Mosfet, Jfet etc) all have a pre-packaged amount of smoke in them and once you let that smoke out the component will not work anymore.
    Un-ass my AO!!

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Since the affected keys are all within the same region I would lean more towards plug damage. Also if you end needing to replace the keyboard just go to google and type in your brand/model number and keyboard and you should have no problem finding a replacement.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggon View Post
    Did you let any smoke out of any components? I used to be an electronic troubleshooter in the Navy and I have found electronic components (resistor, capacitor, IC chip, Mosfet, Jfet etc) all have a pre-packaged amount of smoke in them and once you let that smoke out the component will not work anymore.
    Nope...all the smoke is still in there. I've found the same thing and am very careful not to let any out lest I have to replace an entire expensive thing. hehehe

And that sounds good, Odd. I'll try that before I look for a replacement.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Since it looks like basically a vertical row that's not working -- I kind of suspect plug damage, too. Might be worth using a LOT of canned air to really blow the dust out, though. And if you can pop the keys out (a lot can be removed fairly easily), you might pull 'em out and look for something stuck down in that row.

Another thought... can you unplug it, and check for bent or misaligned pins? That might be all it is...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information