Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

IE8 Users Downgrade To Explorer 7

Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Internet Explorer 8 appears to be losing market share, even though the browser has been on the market for less than a week. As of 8:00 am Monday, IE8 -- released Thursday -- held 1.86% of the browser market, down from a high of 2.59% on Sunday, according to market watcher Net Applications. The most likely reason for the decline is that early adopters of IE8 are switching back to the more familiar, and --at this point -- reliable Explorer 7 browser.

Explorer 8 includes a number of new tools, like a feature called Web Slices that lets users grab dynamic content such as stock quotes or auction results from third-party sites, that, while potentially useful, may take some time getting used to. Additionally, Explorer 8 uses default support for some new Web publishing standards that aren't supported by a number of major Web publishers. As a result, some IE8 users have reported problems viewing some sites. "After downloading IE8 I cannot print any card from American Greetings. The message I get is, 'An error occurred during the operation,'" a user named Bob complained last week on Microsoft's IE8 forum.
    Some IE8 adopters reported that even pages built with Microsoft's own Web publishing software, Microsoft Publisher, failed to render properly in the new browser. "I created my company's Web site using the MS Publisher 2007 template. After upgrading IE7 to IE8 my menu tabs and many important images no longer show," wrote a user named Phil Wheeler.
    The news wasn't all bad for Microsoft, as some IE8 users said they were more than happy with the product.
    Microsoft needs Explorer 8 to be a hit, as the company's Internet Explorer franchise has been losing ground to competitors. Explorer's overall share of the market has fallen from 75% to 67% in just the past 12 months, according to Net Applications, while competitors such as Apple's Safari and Mozilla's Firefox have gained ground.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They could always upgrade to Firefox. Or Opera. Or Chrome.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    They could always upgrade to Firefox. Or Opera. Or Chrome.
    Some of us don't consider that an upgrade.

I'm sitting on 7 until they work the bugs out.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

I'm sitting on 7 until they work the bugs out.

Smart move.

NTSMadDog is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I went with Firefox about a year ago, and it will take a lot to bring me back.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have been running Opera for the past 4-5 months. I like it very much.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Every time Microsoft rolls out a new product or version, a big percentage of new users regret their move. The same deal has been going on with Windows Vista vs XP for over a year, with many older applications and device drivers not being able to run on Windows Vista, not to mention PC's and laptops that are already short of memory. So many corporate users refused to move to Vista that some of the computer vendors who started offering Vista exclusively have done some backtracking and are now offering new PC's with XP Pro again.

They did the same thing when they moved from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, then 95 to 98, then 98 to NT, then NT to 2000, then 2000 to XP - A lot of stuff written for the old systems just flat would not work, especially the device drivers.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    I have tried the new Windows 7, I have to say I was fairly impressed. I ran the x64 version and it ran everything i wanted it to. It even recognized all my memory.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NTSMadDog View Post
    I have tried the new Windows 7, I have to say I was fairly impressed. I ran the x64 version and it ran everything i wanted it to. It even recognized all my memory.
    I've heard a lot of good things about 7.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

We've found that a lot of stuff written for 32 bit machines will not run on our 64-bit servers. It seems to have a problem registering and recognizing the old DLL's that were written in Visual Basic and C++ 6.0.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm constantly amused that people expect backwards compatibility.

If it paid, MS would do it.

It doesn't pay - they WANT you to have to replace stuff.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    We've found that a lot of stuff written for 32 bit machines will not run on our 64-bit servers. It seems to have a problem registering and recognizing the old DLL's that were written in Visual Basic and C++ 6.0.
    They are a lot different, but i think 64 is the way of the future

They are a lot different, but i think 64 is the way of the future
    Agreed - 32 Bit machines can't address over 4GB of memory unless they page the memory, which is inefficient. As applications and op systems become more memory hungry, 64 bit machines will become necessary.

Our database and file servers need 32GB+ RAM (or more) to operate under heavy load, cache frequently-used files, and avoid digging into pagefile (which will bog any computer down immediately).

Although as Maclean said, backward compatibility might be expensive for Microsoft, the lack of it is what keeps corporate users stuck on the same platforms long after the hardware and software should be replaced. Often the software which won't run on the new machines or op systems was developed in-house at a cost of millions of dollars, and the programmers who wrote it have left the company, which is the stuff of management and technical nightmares.

The same applies to browsers to a lesser extent - Web sites go to huge expense to make all their web sites friendly to all browsers. The new .NET and J2EE based sites are easier to make browser-friendly, but it's a huge expense for older sites - Not to mention irritating for the programmers because they'd rather be working on bigger things than debugging some little rendering difference, or JavaScript that won't run in the new browsers. Web site users don't like that either, so it runs them off.

(\__/)

DVeng is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'm constantly amused that people expect backwards compatibility.

If it paid, MS would do it.

It doesn't pay - they WANT you to have to replace stuff.
    The solution is to use products that support open standards, like Firefox instead of IE. If you really want to avoid issues with compatibiity, switch to Linux or other F/OSS alternatives to Windows and the microsoft monopoly.

Disclaimer: I am a Linux Zealot. I haven't run windows in years with the exception of our MDTs and they would run Linux too if I had any choice in the matter.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Grabbed IE 8, installed it, looked around, back to FF. Seems fine, some nice little features to it which will hopefully help the masses who use it. I'm not an IE hater - it is my #2 browser - just prefer FF for a few reasons.

Good news is O/R displays fine in IE8 in both its native mode and compatibility mode.

As to the original article, I don't know who wrote it, but I'm guessing they were looking for a way to give their bland story about IE8 some spice. IE8 hasn't been pushed out, but since it's available every tech writer and blogger rushed out and grabbed it to put up their quickie review - and then went back to their browser of choice. (much like I just did) That explains the bump in use and a falloff to match.

The backward compatibility discussion made me chuckle, mostly because I use it when I feel like defending Windows to rile up my Mac friends. "Oh yeah, I had some great old software that is out of print now too...oh, but I can still run mine, how does your System 7 software run under OS-X?"

A Linux zealot? Heck, nothing wrong with that. Not sure why I haven't made the switch myself, especially since virtualization and current hardware would allow me to cling to those beloved old apps I mentioned pretty painlessly until I found replacements. Kind of blows my "I need to run Windows to be able to help family/friends" argument out of the water too. Even with the Win7 beta running silky smooth it may be time find a tux myself.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Agreed - 32 Bit machines can't address over 4GB of memory unless they page the memory, which is inefficient. As applications and op systems become more memory hungry, 64 bit machines will become necessary.

Our database and file servers need 32GB+ RAM (or more) to operate under heavy load, cache frequently-used files, and avoid digging into pagefile (which will bog any computer down immediately).

Although as Maclean said, backward compatibility might be expensive for Microsoft, the lack of it is what keeps corporate users stuck on the same platforms long after the hardware and software should be replaced. Often the software which won't run on the new machines or op systems was developed in-house at a cost of millions of dollars, and the programmers who wrote it have left the company, which is the stuff of management and technical nightmares.

The same applies to browsers to a lesser extent - Web sites go to huge expense to make all their web sites friendly to all browsers. The new .NET and J2EE based sites are easier to make browser-friendly, but it's a huge expense for older sites - Not to mention irritating for the programmers because they'd rather be working on bigger things than debugging some little rendering difference, or JavaScript that won't run in the new browsers. Web site users don't like that either, so it runs them off.

I would hate to be fitting the bill for your DB servers. My boss would have a stroke if I tried to sell him on buying that hardcore of a server.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DVeng View Post
    The solution is to use products that support open standards, like Firefox instead of IE. If you really want to avoid issues with compatibiity, switch to Linux or other F/OSS alternatives to Windows and the microsoft monopoly.

Disclaimer: I am a Linux Zealot. I haven't run windows in years with the exception of our MDTs and they would run Linux too if I had any choice in the matter.
    That is *A* solution, but I choose to work within the confines of what dominates the world we live in.

I could be an expert in esoteric, or I can be useful.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    OK....dumb question here from Non-computer Man. What's the damn difference? Don't all browsers take you to the same interweb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    OK....dumb question here from Non-computer Man. What's the damn difference? Don't all browsers take you to the same interweb?
    Yes they take you to the same internet but sites are coded in a multitude of languages so that's why some sites will work and some wont.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    Yes they take you to the same internet but sites are coded in a multitude of languages so that's why some sites will work and some wont.
    Also speed, stability, and third party customization of the browser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information