Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Southland

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah I was screaming MOVE! in my head.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Well to be honest, that detective has seemed slightly air-headed at times. So I am not surprised that in a moment of sudden crisis, that he kind of froze up. I've kind of been waiting for something bad to happen to him for not being on the ball.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I really enjoyed this show and hope another network picks it up.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Oh man, that SUCKS! OTOH, I really think that this show would be great somewhere like FX. It wouldn't be the next "Shield", but it could have the same raw grit to make it awesome. Besides, The Shield never did do us blue suits any justice. Their uniform scenes were always pretty campy and TV-ish. This show could focus on the street cops, and make it pretty authentic in a lot of respects, if they were on cable.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Figures
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    After seeing the preview on NBC, frankly, it may be a good thing it was cancelled.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    I hate to see it go. It seems that any show I get into gets canned soon after!
    I'm ready for spring!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    "Southland" has been picked up by TNT and will begin airing it on January 12, starting with the series pilot. From what I understand, they'll air 6 previously unseen episodes.

Southland

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    yaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!....... ......
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    "Southland" has been picked up by TNT and will begin airing it on January 12, starting with the series pilot. From what I understand, they'll air 6 previously unseen episodes.

Southland
    Beat me to it Buttercup, saw this article in the daily news the other day:

For 'Southland,' move to TNT could be best direction of cop drama

By Cristina Kinon
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, December 17th 2009, 4:00 AM
    "Southland" executive producer Ann Biderman isn't worried about the drama's transition from NBC to TNT.

In fact, she believes it was more of a cable series to begin with.

"The qualities that originally distinguished our show from other stuff were cable-like qualities - in terms of language, an in-depth look at characters, no easy resolutions," Biderman told The News. "The move to cable is a natural fit."

"Southland" premieres on TNT Jan. 12 at 10 p.m. It is coming from NBC, where it aired six initial episodes last spring. TNT will re-air those shows, including a commercial-free director's cut of the pilot, as well as six unseen episodes originally shot for NBC this season.

NBC had picked up the show for a second season, but after adding "The Jay Leno Show" weeknights at 10, time slots dried up.

Like "Medium," "Scrubs" and even "Taxi" before it, "Southland" joins a short list of series that have switched networks mid-run.

Tim Brooks, co-author of "The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows," says the success rate of shows that make the switch is generally not good, but said "Southland" has a few things working to its advantage.

First of all, it features recognizable stars such as Regina King, Michael Cudlitz and Benjamin McKenzie.

And it fits in nicely at TNT, which boasts dramas like "The Closer," "Saving Grace" and "Leverage."

"TNT was on a tear three or four years ago, setting ratings records, but has cooled a bit. Now USA is the hot player on cable networks," Brooks says. "So TNT could use a boost at this time. This might be a chance for them to even the playing field."

The main obstacle for "Southland" in finding an audience on cable, says Brooks, is getting those who turned it off on NBC to tune in again on TNT.

"It's very hard to get viewers to change their minds," says Brooks. "There needs to be something that would make viewers think this isn't the 'Southland' that they previously rejected."

Biderman hopes the extended pilot will do just that, by giving audiences a "deeper look" at the characters, the way it was originally intended - without commercials.

No decision has been made renewing the series at TNT for a second season, but if that happens, Biderman and her team are ready.

"We have some scripts already written, so once we get the go-ahead, we'll take a look at those with an eye toward content and language," Biderman says. "We have the room now to really address those things and just delve deeper."

Whether or not "Southland's" transition is a raging success, its team can be happy they're no longer at the last-place network.

"NBC, they're kind of a mess right now," says Biderman. "Once they made that Jay Leno decision, which has been kind of catastrophic for them, it wiped out series drama at that network. To be out of there is probably a good thing."

ckinon@nydailynews.com

For 'Southland,' move to TNT could be best direction of cop drama

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

triggerpull is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I have had this show in my DVR for a while and new they had new episodes made, so I was wondering what happened to it. I'm glad TNT picked it up. Now if only they would pick up "The Unit", which was semi-cheesy, but a good military drama. I hated hearing it was canceled.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread Information