Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Cool Google to launch its own computer operating system in 2010, Chrome OS

In what is certain to be the biggest tech story of the summer, Google is finally making official what has been rumored for years: It will create its own computer operating system, Chrome OS, slated for release in late 2010.
    While the news is stunning in its potential impact on the industry, it hardly arrives without warning. Google already makes its own cell phone OS, the fledgling Android, which continues to slowly gain devotees. And well before the company unleashed its own web browser, Chrome, many had long since assumed that Google had been preparing to release an operating system. When the Chrome browser was released instead, many observers actually saw it as a bit of a letdown in the news department.
    Now it's clear what Google has been up to all along: Chrome is simply the centerpiece of a larger table setting, a full-blown operating system that will run without Windows or the MacOS beneath it.
    Google is keeping many details close to the vest -- and, with at least a year before the OS comes out, it really has no choice since the OS has miles to go before it's ready -- but the company has made a few details public. Chrome OS will be open source, like Linux operating systems, upon which Chrome will be based; it will be designed to be "fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds;" and it will be designed with security in mind (though, seriously, everybody says that). The OS will run on both ARM and x86 CPUs, the latter being the most common PC chip architecture on the planet, used on virtually every PC produced today.
    Despite the hints about Chrome OS, many, many questions remain. Obviously Chrome is designed with the web in mind, and it will undoubtedly be closely tied into Google's extensive suite of services. But what will its offline components look like, if any? With Linux as a base, it will obviously be able to run Linux-based applications, though it won't be compatible with Windows... or will it? Emulator systems exist that could let Chrome run Windows apps, but they're complex and at odds with the goal of creating a streamlined, super-simple operating system. I am immediately curious as to how big of a hard drive a Chrome OS laptop would have, if it will have one at all.
    Another big question involves the hardware this operating system will run on. Google obviously has inexpensive, low-power netbooks in mind for Chrome OS, but will tinkerers be able to install it on computers they already own? Driver issues become a major obstacle at that point, as a "simple" OS can't possibly account for the thousands of hardware variations present in modern PCs (printing alone is going to be a headache as it is). My hunch is that a downloadable version will eventually be available, but that it won't be supported by Google at all should you decide to install it on a non-approved PC.
    That leads to the question of whether Google is ignoring a key part of the market. Netbooks are great little toys, but they're hardly the tools of choice for those looking to get real work done. By embracing the web and largely ignoring offline applications, Chrome-based netbooks will by necessity remain tools for the low end of the market, playthings for when you're not really being productive. Like the Linux-based netbooks before them, they just won't do enough for many users.
    And that's an ominous issue hanging out there for Chrome OS's future. Linux-based netbooks haven't been a rousing success, as Windows fought back with a vengeance after they hit the market, offering buyers a more familiar working environment and compatibility with their other computers while keeping prices down. Consumers have so far warmed up to the idea of having more features on their netbooks, not fewer, relegating Linux on netbooks to the background. Will a spiffy, Googleized version of Linux change consumer opinion? Maybe, but probably not dramatically.
    Contrary to public opinion, everything that Google touches does not turn to gold, and to be frank, Google has a serious uphill battle ahead for its OS ambitions. I'm cautiously optimistic that Google will put something brilliant together here, and can't wait to get my eyes on the software, but the challenges it faces are extreme. Put together something too unique and different and consumers may be put off and confused. Or you could make an OS that clings closely to the Windows interface, but what would be the point of that?

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I can't wait for this. I have been toying with Linux systems for 10 years, and what they have needed that whole time was a strong company to take the lead in standardizing things like software installation. Plus, everything from Google rocks.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Chrome sucked, I hope the OS is better.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    With Linux as a base, it will obviously be able to run Linux-based applications
    So is it a real operating system, or just a shell around Linux? And why wouldn't I just use the real Linux

I don't think it's obvious at all that it will be able to run Linux apps - just because it's based on Linux, that's nothing to draw conclusions on until someone actually tries to run Linux apps on it.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Chrome sucked, I hope the OS is better.
    +1 I tried chrome for like 5 seconds...........lol
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I tried Chrome and thought it was cool that it was started up fast, but stopped using it after I found how little functionality it had.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    So is it a real operating system, or just a shell around Linux? And why wouldn't I just use the real Linux

I don't think it's obvious at all that it will be able to run Linux apps - just because it's based on Linux, that's nothing to draw conclusions on until someone actually tries to run Linux apps on it.
    My understanding is that it will be a full fledged linux distro that will run linux apps.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I tried Chrome and thought it was cool that it was started up fast, but stopped using it after I found how little functionality it had.
    Funny, you guys are the first ones I have heard from that DIDN'T love the Chrome browser. I still use Firefox for web development because of the add-on's, but use Chrome exclusively now for all regular browsing.

Versions in development now are testing extensions, and if I could get Firebug and a few others in Chrome it is all I would use. To each his own I guess.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

I agree, I like Firefox.

It doesn't lock the browser up as much when you're using tabbed websites, and one of them isn't playing fair.

Microsoft sucks at allowing you to do anything in a window when it's waiting to connect to an Internet site, running script, or trying to connect to a file network address. Half the time you can't even close the window to make it stop.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Yeah, what browser is everyone using then?

I do have to say the features in IE8 are pretty impressive, but I can't say I've used IE very much except for checking how web pages look in it ever since FF came out. I played around with Opera a bit too, but never really liked that either.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Apparently the Chrome beta is out there. My youngest has seen it and is underwhelmed. You can find it if you are really interested.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was using IE until I came here. I was turned on to Firefox and have been using it ever since.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I was using IE until I came here. I was turned on to Firefox and have been using it ever since.
    Same here. Since getting Firefox I don't think that I will ever go back to Internet Exploder.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Does Firefox still have that add-in to eliminate banner ads?

I haven't checked since the IT department send us home with laptops that they don't like us installing stuff on. That part was really cool on web sites that have very slow-loading banner ads back when I didn't have broadband.

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Does Firefox still have that add-in to eliminate banner ads?

I haven't checked since the IT department send us home with laptops that they don't like us installing stuff on. That part was really cool on web sites that have very slow-loading banner ads back when I didn't have broadband.
    O yes it does
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Thread Information